goboenomo's Composition Shack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
I have started a putfile account to put my music on
I have only put a few pieces on there for now
but i'll put more on and let you know
So far there is my Clarinet Trio, Brass Quintet, and Flute Concerto

Lemmie know what you think.

Goboenomo's Music

also keep in mind I havn't finished everything
I keep getting new ideas in my head and i keep starting new pieces
I'll update any if I put more on them and let you know

Thanks for fixing my spelling error in the title whoever did that!

Shoack

i was just gonna say Shoack means Show Shack :D

I just added my Bass Concerto to the list :D

Wow! Impressive! I've never written music, but I have performed and been in choir. Here's my take on each individually, for what it may be worth.

Bass Concerto

I think it sounds wonderful! The only thing that comes to mind is the 32 second piano introduction. To me, that's too long of a "not featured" instrument solo before the featured instrument(s) join. Oh, and it ends too soon. I think that's due to the size of the file, because it sounds like you continue beyond what is played in the clip.

I think this has real potential, and would love to hear the full score.

Clarinet Concerto

From a strictly music theory paradigm, I like it. The sound on the recording is too electric/digital to me. The sound reminded me of a midi sound (again, not the score per say, just the sound). It's a keyboard sounding tone (all three).

IMHO, the clarinet is a solo or featured instrument. I don't think it works well in multiples without accompaniment. Again, that's just my opinion.

Brass Quintet

Ditto the digi/midi sound. Horns are instruments that I think work well as a solo, featured, and multiples. I'd like to hear actual horns used to get the authentic horn sound. Theoretically, the score is cool!

Flute Concerto

The piano introduction is not as long, which is good (again, IMHO). At the same time, the end is all piano, but there may be more that didn't make it on the recording as it seems to end without resolution.

I think the flute isn't the right instrument for this duet, mainly because it is such a airy, "fragile", soothing sound versus some fairly assertive piano (Beethoven came to mind) arrangement. I really like the score on this. Of the four, this and the Bass Concerto are my favorites and IMHO have the best potential. I actually like the piano score on the flute piece more then the piano score on the bass piece. I think the respective scores for the bass and flute are equal.

Taking each as a whole as scored, I think the Bass Concerto is the best. It is closely followed by the Flute Concerto, with an idea offered of using an instrument other then the flute. Maybe even a stringed instrument? Or, having listened to it again, harpsichord (sp?)? I think it could work as dualing pianos, piano and harpsichord, or maybe dualing harpsichord (or two musicians using one instrument?).

The Horn/Brass Quintet stands at #3, mainly because of the digi/midi sound. I think the actual instruments would sound best. I recall as a youth we had a brass quartet in church, and it sounded great.

That leaves the Clarinet Trio, which I explained my thoughts previously. An excellent score in the making, but wrong instrument chosen IMHO.

Kudos to you and your efforts! Keep up the great work! :cool:

BigDog said:
Wow! Impressive! I've never written music, but I have performed and been in choir. Here's my take on each individually, for what it may be worth.

Bass Concerto

I think it sounds wonderful! The only thing that comes to mind is the 32 second piano introduction. To me, that's too long of a "not featured" instrument solo before the featured instrument(s) join. Oh, and it ends too soon. I think that's due to the size of the file, because it sounds like you continue beyond what is played in the clip.

I think this has real potential, and would love to hear the full score.

Clarinet Concerto

From a strictly music theory paradigm, I like it. The sound on the recording is too electric/digital to me. The sound reminded me of a midi sound (again, not the score per say, just the sound). It's a keyboard sounding tone (all three).

IMHO, the clarinet is a solo or featured instrument. I don't think it works well in multiples without accompaniment. Again, that's just my opinion.

Brass Quintet

Ditto the digi/midi sound. Horns are instruments that I think work well as a solo, featured, and multiples. I'd like to hear actual horns used to get the authentic horn sound. Theoretically, the score is cool!

Flute Concerto

The piano introduction is not as long, which is good (again, IMHO). At the same time, the end is all piano, but there may be more that didn't make it on the recording as it seems to end without resolution.

I think the flute isn't the right instrument for this duet, mainly because it is such a airy, "fragile", soothing sound versus some fairly assertive piano (Beethoven came to mind) arrangement. I really like the score on this. Of the four, this and the Bass Concerto are my favorites and IMHO have the best potential. I actually like the piano score on the flute piece more then the piano score on the bass piece. I think the respective scores for the bass and flute are equal.

Taking each as a whole as scored, I think the Bass Concerto is the best. It is closely followed by the Flute Concerto, with an idea offered of using an instrument other then the flute. Maybe even a stringed instrument? Or, having listened to it again, harpsichord (sp?)? I think it could work as dualing pianos, piano and harpsichord, or maybe dualing harpsichord (or two musicians using one instrument?).

The Horn/Brass Quintet stands at #3, mainly because of the digi/midi sound. I think the actual instruments would sound best. I recall as a youth we had a brass quartet in church, and it sounded great.

That leaves the Clarinet Trio, which I explained my thoughts previously. An excellent score in the making, but wrong instrument chosen IMHO.

Kudos to you and your efforts! Keep up the great work! :cool:

Thanks alot
First off I did write it all on a low quality MIDI program called Finale 2003 that I got from my school (so you know it sucks).

Actually that is not a very long piano entry before the bass ive heard much longer orchestral entries before the soloist
For example Mozart Clarinet Concerto - the first movement it takes 2 minutes before the clarinet actually plays
And His Bassoon Concerto takes 1 min 12 sec before the bassoon comes in
and i'm sure there is much longer in others that i cant think of

You havn't heard any Clarinet Quintets have you? Mozart wrote a few
and Brahms wrote alot of clarinet stuff
they sound great together... just maybe not on this program.

The brass quintet was 2 Bb trumpets, trombone, baritone T.C., and tuba
I do agree the horn has a great solo sound
I love Mozarts Horn Concerto No. 4

And actually that ending part that is all piano isnt really the ending
it was my attempt at a second movement
the 1st movement ends when the flute ends.

Again, thanks for listening
thanks for the feedback
I was beginning to think nobody was gonna say anything.

Ive got a ton more pieces to put on
In fact! I'll put one on right now
I think u'll like this one ;)

I just added the first movement for my Symphony No. 1
its not finished
but its still good :)

goboenomo said:
I just added the first movement for my Symphony No. 1
its not finished
but its still good :)

Outside of the midi, this is the best by far. The complexity of the score coupled with the speed (I can't think of the proper term, it's been a while since I've worked with music) keeps the music exciting and the musician on their toes to keep up. I'd love to hear this live, because I don't think there would necessarily be any changes needed to the finished score (minor if any).

You got a gift here that you ought to run with. I know it can get pricey (sp?) but with the samplings so far, I think you ought to pursue it. I see this Symphony as a possible theme or overriding score for a movie or TV show.

Wow thanks alot.

I wish the people on the classical music forum i went on said the same
they say it lacks maturity

but i tell them its just for fun
if i like it thats all the matters

and they say writing music isnt about fun...

i dunno...

goboenomo said:
and they say writing music isnt about fun...
Well that is just plain stupid! Music can be just as much about fun as it can be about anything else. Those people are closed minded and ignorant IMO.

I am at work right now so I was not able to check it out. I will try to give a listen tonight when I get home.

My comments pretty much echo BigDogs original comments for the most part.

I think my favorite was the Brass Quintet. The midi sounds really don't do it justice though. I think if you could get some horn players together then that would sound really cool.

I work at Monster.com. I won't bore you with my job decription, but well it pays the bills. I did go to school for recording arts for a while though so I had some experience using midi programs. I think you did a wonderful job with what you were working with.

go ahead
tell me ur JD
im thinking about working with computers too
its between computer programming and accounting
i am leaning towards accounting

It is all stuff that has to do with our internal Monster database so it wouldn't really make much sense to you unless you knew our back systems.

ok
as long as it's something you like
at least u can stay on the forum while u work ;)

gobo, I haven't been exposed to classical music much since I quit guitar lessons at 16, but I will take the time this weekend to listen to your stuff. I think it's great that a young person like you has such a passion for anything. Keep up the enthusiasm; I assure you that you won't be sorry later.

Cool.

Thanks
I plan to keep composing as long as i can... but I'm going to be very busy soon.
Ive got work really heard this year to get into a special college program that allowed me to transfer to university after 2 years if i have a 70% average in the college.

Back
Top Bottom