Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Is Charcoal Really That Great? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/is-charcoal-really-that-great-26041.html)

thecactuswill 08-27-2006 12:29 PM

Is Charcoal Really That Great?

Well I need to get a grill and can't afford a gas one right now. So was going to do charcoal, but saw a big stand up george foreman electric grill for $50. Alot of surface area and not a 2 sided cooking surface like the regular one. Is that just an easy way out? Is charcoal that much better? Any other alternatives?

Half Baked 08-27-2006 12:32 PM

I prefer charcoal to gas. I only use gas for convenience or in the winter snow.

If you have to cook inside and don't have a Jenn-Aire or the equivelent, I'd use a GF. I gave mine away because I didn't care for it.

Sorry, I didn't see 'see' the part where you explained it was not 2 sided. I'm not familiar with that at all.

TATTRAT 08-27-2006 12:34 PM

I personally prefer charcoal to gas. I am also an all weather griller. A good excuse to get out back and sip on a beverage, rain or shine.

Andy M. 08-27-2006 12:38 PM

If you cannot afford a gas grill, buy a charcoal grill. The electric GF will not give the same results.

Robo410 08-27-2006 12:40 PM

charcoal is the way to go ... get a weber kettle grill. get a chimney starter, cook up a storm! get some wood chips too (mesquite are my fave)

ironchef 08-27-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robo410
charcoal is the way to go ... get a weber kettle grill. get a chimney starter, cook up a storm! get some wood chips too (mesquite are my fave)

Exactly. Charcoal grill and chimney.

Electric grills like George Foreman's are not really grills. They are basically frying pans with raised grates on them. The only two similarities are that you can get grill marks and that you're not cooking the food in fat.

thecactuswill 08-27-2006 12:48 PM

Ok well then charcoal it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half Baked
Sorry, I didn't see 'see' the part where you explained it was not 2 sided. I'm not familiar with that at all.

Indoor george foreman grills have the lid that compresses down on the meat lol, sqeezing the crap out of it and heating from both sides.

Half Baked 08-27-2006 01:13 PM

...but I thought she said it 'wasn't' 2 sided. :ermm:

Quote:

Alot of surface area and not a 2 sided cooking surface like the regular one

thecactuswill 08-27-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half Baked
...but I thought she said it 'wasn't' 2 sided. :ermm:

Oh yeah :chef:

FryBoy 08-27-2006 03:38 PM

Definitely go for the charcoal grill over the George Forman "grill," which will not give you the same flavor as a true BBQ grill. I'd recommend a Weber, which I used for years with excellent results before switching to gas for convenience.

One other idea -- when my dad taught me how to grill, it was on a real fireplace he built on our backyard patio. We built fires using pine for kindlinga and then oak or maple to create a glorious bed of coals.