Is Tilapia A Good Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecactuswill

Senior Cook
Let me start by saying I don't care for fish all that much, except for salmon, and things like tuna. Anything too fishy I am not into. But I bought a 10lb box of frozen for tilapia not really knowing what it was, mostly because it was cheap. So I rolled them in wheat flour with cajun/creole type spice blends, and fried them up. Not bad at all! Anyone have comments on this species of fish?

I actually don't care for Tilapia all that much. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just my opinion.

It's a mild flavored fish and can be done a lot of different ways to suit your likes and dislikes.

I can't get enough of it. It is a very good fish for frying. I like mine with a splash of hot sauce.

i like tailpea..but lately i have fallen in LOVE with mahi mahi....if u want you firsh not fishy...thats the way to go IMO.

holds up great on the grill as well. try making grilled mahi mahi fish tacos...they are fantastic!!!

well it is a flat white fish with a flaky texture. It needs a sauce or coating and condiments. Good for pan frying or sauteeing. Falls appart in chowders. Taste is mild. Farm raised.

My faves: sword, salmon, cod, walleye, bass (of various types), cat, blue, trout, ... talapia simply doesn't have the individuality of these other fish. But for a fry up or quick flat surface grill, it's very nice fish. And the price is right. I like to smoke it (mesquithe) in my weber, and use it cold in salads. Really surprises people that way.

Tilapia is a neutral white fish. You can pretty much fix it to taste however you want...kinda like boneless, skinless chicken breast! I wouldn't say I DISlike it -- I really love fish of any kind -- but it's not one of my favorites. Salmon, Tuna, Cod, Walleye, Trout, Lake Superior Whitefish, Sole, Skate.... all way ahead of tilapia.

When we use to run out of fish at the restaurant we often sub. with Tilapia a lot of people do really like it..

Its nice breadcrumbed fried in butter.. but like june said its really like a plain chicken breast!

Tilapia is a nice mild fish, readily available and reasonably priced. I think the important thing with Tilapia is the seasoning...you need to add flavor to it without over-powering it.
I like it pan-fried, though I'd rather have bass. I have also had success pan-searing it. The filets are usually too thin to stay moist, so I stack two together, and treat them as one. Last time we seasoned them with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a light dusting of Tony Chacheries.

I love tilapia and buy it all the time. My all time faves are trout, salmon, tilapia, walleye, lake perch and Lake Superior Whitefish. I live in Nevada and when I come to Michigan I fill up on these fish. And by the way, fish is NEVER supposed to smell of anything but sea water. If it smells like "fish" throw it out, - it's spoiled. Fresh fish has no smell at all.

I like tilapia. Beeing very blend it will take any quality you will impose on it. Well, I'm just trying to say that you can do a lot with it, by changing or adding flavor.

I'm not a big fan of tilapia. To me it's way too bland and it's almost like eating sawdust (of course it could be the way it was prepared, but then again...). I much prefer salmon, mahi-mahi, grouper, and when I can find it red snapper.

I also give a thumbs down to Tilapia, but part of that may be my Long Island Sound upbringing. I grew up catching, cooking, & enjoying all sorts of sal****er fish & shellfish, so when I first began trying freshwater species, I was sorely disappointed. I just find them all extremely bland when compared to sal****er species.

We have seafood about twice a week, & while I do occasionally buy catfish & trout, they're exceptions rather than rule.

Oh, & as mentioned by a previous poster, high-quality fresh or thawed frozen fish of any type should not smell "fishy". While I'll excuse a slight scent from the oilier types like Bluefish or Mackerel - other sal****er types should just have a fresh briny scent to them. Sort of like the beach (minus the smell of suntan lotion :)). Freshwater varieties should be fairly neutrally scented.

Tilapia is one of those things that will pretty much taste just like what you cook it with. It doesn't have much of a fishy flavor all it's own.

However, I really enjoy it! It's cheap and easy to cook pretty much anyway you want (although I would not suggest grilling it straight on the grill...)

My favorite is a Rachael Ray recipe called Spanish Fish in a Sack (see foodnetwork.com). She says to use Red Snapper or Cod, both of which can be expensive depending on where you live. I always use tilapia (I'm a pooooooor law student), since it's so affordable, and the recipe always turns out AMAZING (I bake the fish a bit less, since it's thinner filets).

Tilapia always seems a little bland flavoured to me so i rarely bother with it nowadays. Farmed trout in the UK is just the same.
But as everyone has said Tilapia is so plain it does take on flavours well. That may actually be it's strong point and a well filleted piece (to avoid the 'bones issue' that also deters people!) may be a way of getting people who don't normally like fish to eat it.

Last edited:
Tilapia

It's all in preparation. It can be manipulated to suit your guest. A great "nuetural" fish that can be prepared to suit most anyone. Salads, spreds, main course,.... you decide.

Marion

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom