Whats for Dinner tonight ? Aug.29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Chicken fried steak - has anyone served this w/rice ? Never had gravy on rice-- ? green beans, sliced fresh tomatoes, and Paula Deen's -garlic cheese biscuits! :chef: Then if needed - white cake w/crm, cheese frosting -yum !

Pan fried salmon, corgettes simply sauteed and some diced and roasted potato and a green salad. I'll probably make a honey mustard dressing for the slamon. I usually have rice instead of potato w/ salmon, so will be a change. My only worry is the level of fat in the meal. I hope its not unpleasant, eveything is sauteed or roasted.

We're having salmon, too. I'll prob serve pasta with alfredo sauce...and a salad.

Not Sure What We Are Having, I Have Large Pork Loin In The Fridge
I Need To Cut Up And Freeze, And May Do Something With That.

Any Ideas?

rickell said:

Any Ideas?
I make a roasted pork loin with, a little olive oil,then a dry rub of minced garlic, salt, pepper, sage, poutry seas. and onion powder all over the rst. Roast uncoverd on a rack in 9x13 pan add enough water to cover bottom of pan. - 350' for 1hr.15 mins. Awesome gravy too ! :)

Paul requested beef stroganoff so that's what we are having. I think I'll use rice instead of noodles though. Fresh green beans with bacon and onion and salad will be the sides.

rickell said:

Any Ideas?

CHANGE OF PLANS THE MY HUBBY WOULD LIKE TO GRILL THE WALLEYE
WE CAUGHT ON OUR FISHING TRIP A COUPLE OF WEEKS BACK, I WOULD
LIKE TO TRY THE NORTHERN PIKE. HOPE HE TAKES THE PIKE OUT OF THE
FREEZER. SO GRILLED FISH WILD RICE, AND CALIFLOWER.

I STILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE PORK NEED TO GET IT IN THE
FREEZER.

Barb L said:
Chicken fried steak - has anyone served this w/rice ? Never had gravy on rice-- ? green beans, sliced fresh tomatoes, and Paula Deen's -garlic cheese biscuits! :chef: Then if needed - white cake w/crm, cheese frosting -yum !

Yes, gravy on rice is quite common - I was going to raz you something terrible about never having rice on gravy and ask you how you could possibly have lived in the south this long without ever having that? Then I realized I was thinking "BarbaraL" and you are Barb L - :angel:

It's like mashed potatoes and gravy - they go hand-in-hand.

As for dinner - I am absolutely, positively, NOT having BBQ again!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care how much is left!!!!!!! I'll send it back to school with my son when he comes in for his dental appt. I'm SICK of BBQ.

Since I unexpectedly have to work today and I work until 8:00 I will probably just grab something quick out.

The first post in this thread made me think of country fried steak - which is like chicken fried steak, but cooked in the gravy. I think that is what is on the menu for dinner with fresh green beans, or asparagus. Can't decide on the veggie yet, but with garlic mashed potatoes for sure and a salad of sweet onion, cucumbers and tomatoes with herb dressing, and maybe one biscuit each. Fresh peaches for dessert or maybe strawberries.

I've never had gravy on rice. Like brown gravy? The stuff for mashed potatoes? And what exactly is Chicken Fried Steak? I feel like someone is going to laugh at me because I'm in the south, but when I eat out, it's a steak house, not Denny's. That didn't come out right. I meant that steak is the only thing on the menu where I go. I've never been to a southern type restaurant like Shonies or Dennys (all we have near me). Hope that sounds better.

It's the day before pay day. What I'd like to have and what I'll end up with are likely to be two different things.

Going shopping with DD - we are going to leave DH and DS at home (thank goodness) and do some powershopping and some powereating - we will choose a nice restaurant when the time is right - nothing better than that!

Sephora - rice on gravy isn't a "Denny's" thing LOL It's common "down-home" cooking. And yes, the gravy ican brown but it is traditionally a milk gravy. Lots of times with chicken fried steak you are served a milk gravy versus brown gravy. CHicken fried steak is cubed steak batter dipped like chicken and fried - hence the name. No questions get laughed at around here!!!!

licia said:
The first post in this thread made me think of country fried steak - which is like chicken fried steak, but cooked in the gravy. I think that is what is on the menu for dinner with fresh green beans, or asparagus. Can't decide on the veggie yet, but with garlic mashed potatoes for sure and a salad of sweet onion, cucumbers and tomatoes with herb dressing, and maybe one biscuit each. Fresh peaches for dessert or maybe strawberries.
When you fix your country fried steak in gravy, does the breaded stay on ?? Sounds awful good ! May change my ways tonight ! :)

Yes, the breading stays on just like it does on fried chicken. It's no different. When you bread your cubed steak you put it into maybe 1/2" hot oil/Crisco/vegetable oil - when one side is nice and brown you flip it - it's yummy! Well, I gotta get to work.

In country fried steak the breading isn't as thick as in chicken fried steak. The gravy is different too.

Last edited:
Beef ribs tonight, and a super garlicky caesar salad. Trying to decide if I can stomach another night of potatoes or if I am going to do rice and torture poor Ken.

kitchenelf said:
Yes, the breading stays on just like it does on fried chicken. It's no different. When you bread your cubed steak you put it into maybe 1/2" hot oil/Crisco/vegetable oil - when one side is nice and brown you flip it - it's yummy! Well, I gotta get to work.

In country fried steak the breading isn't as thick as in chicken fried steak. The gravy is different too.
I was just say in gravy, how Licia said she made her's.?? :wacko:

Alix said:
Beef ribs tonight, and a super garlicky caesar salad. Trying to decide if I can stomach another night of potatoes or if I am going to do rice and torture poor Ken.

Send your pro-potato cards and letters to Alix NOW! Help me people!

MicheleMarie wrote this a few days ago...

I am making something my husband's mom made for him when he was little - I cringed when I made them for the first time five years ago ... and now I actually crave them - bbq cups - brown ground beef, drain fat, return to pan and add brown sugar and bbq sauce. Meanwhile, split large biscuits (I use Grands) in half. Place half biscuit in greased muffin tin, fill with beef mixture, top with cheddar cheese, seal top with other half of biscuit - bake according to biscuit directions. DH loves his with cottage cheese, I like mine with xtra cheese.

...and it intrigued me. Sounds wonderful yet oddly weird. Just wonderful enough for me to try it on the man of my dreams tonight. Must get to the market as I have no ground beef. With it, I'll do a salad of avocados, yard toms, yard basil cashews, mozzarella balls and vinaigrette, canned corn, I know it's boring:huh: , but I have to eventually clean out that "kitchen store":ROFLMAO:. I was wondering what kind of starch to use but think it's got plenty looking over the menu.:wacko:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom