My fudge is not smooth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Miss J

Senior Cook
I have only just recently bought a candy thermometer. I have tried a couple a fudge recipes and they have taste ok but were a bit grainy. I am quite sure this has more to do with my technique (or lack of it :ermm: ) than the recipe. Any tips??

Poorly dissolved sugar that crystallizies prematurely results in fudge with a grainy texture. Adding the butter to the sugar mixture after a rolling boil helps keep the sugar from early crystallization. Too rapid a cooling (like placing in the refrigerator) can cause 'premature' crystallization and result in a lumpy, grainy fudge.

I always remove the pan from the heat, and wait until the mixture stops bubbling before I stir/beat it. Then I pour it into the buttered dish/pan and cool at room temperature. :)

By the way....

This fudge is very good. I make it during the holidays to share because it makes such a large amount. It sounds like it is 'against fudge making rules', but it always turns out delicious and non-grainy. :)

Chocolate Fudge

Bring to boil and boil for 6 minutes:

4 1/2 cups of sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt

While this mixture is boiling, put the following ingredients to a large bowl:

3 cups walnuts
3 small packages of Chocolate chips
3 tsps vanilla
2 cubes butter (1/2 pound)

After the milk and sugar mixture has boiled for 6 minutes, pour over the ingredients in the bowl. Stir (do not beat) until the butter and chocolate chips are melted, pour into buttered cookie sheet pan. Refrigerate until set. Cut into desired size pieces.

For fudge you want to cook your ingredients to the desired temp and then let the whole mixture cool to around 110-130 Degrees F. Then start to stir. Fudge will always have grain(because that's what makes fudge) but if you wait till the mixture lowers in temp then you will acheive the small crystals that give a smooth mouth feel...try it out...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com/vb

I agree with Robert. Proper fudge should have an almost magical combination of smoothness and graininess. IMHO, most commercial fudge is too smooth and creamy. More like thick cake frosting than fudge. I assume this is because it's been undercooked slightly to make it easier to handle.

Ooh, cooking blind is always tough. Why don't you post your recipe? Easier to trouble shoot if we know what you're doing.

Favorite Fudge

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite flavor fudge was? I mean there are hundreds these days....when it comes to fudge for me....I love chocolate fudge and Peanut butter fudge! can't beat those two!

How about yours?
Robert
Chocolate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom