Bread pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.Whalen

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a bread pudding recipe. Can anyone help me out with a tried and true one that you can highly recommend.
Sorry if this is in the wrong catagory, I wasn't too sure where to place it.

What kind of quanity are you looking for?

img_315440_0_01401a9a41d9ecd7599c14952f52780b.jpg

This is a typical batch in the resataurant...it is alot. I am happy to share the recipie with you.

It is white chocolate and blueberry bread pudding.

Last edited:
White chocolate and blueberry bread pudding! Sign me up! Tatt, please do share.

A long time ago, Mudbug posted the recipe that her mom has always used. I couldn't find searching but I can vouch that this is it and it's excellent! It's a basic one that I'm sure you could change up however you want (adding chocolate, dried fruit, etc).

Bread Pudding

Heat 2 cups milk to scalding

Pour over 4 cups coarse bread chunks (this is where your stale bread comes in - note that the bread should be COARSE, i.e., torn up pieces—chunks-- rather than "crumbs")

Cool and add:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins (chopped up apple bits are good, too)
1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg

Pour into buttered casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Makes six servings.

I can't find the posting with my favorite banana bread pudding recipe ( I know it was 2+ years ago, so maybe that's why!)

However, here's one I've been making for a year or so.

Cinnamon Almond Bread Pudding

1 loaf good sourdough, cut into 1"x2" cubes (about 6 cups)
3 c. milk
4 eggs
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. cinnamon (I may have even used more)
1 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 c. almond meal (from Trader Joe's, or you can blenderize almonds to a fine grind)
3 Tbsp. butter

Put bread cubes into a 9"x12"x2" pan.
In a blender, mix next ingredients well.
Add almonds and mix again till just incorporated.
Pour mixture over bread. Mix to make sure all bread is coated. Let sit for 20 min. (Preheat oven now to 300 degrees)
Cut cold butter into 1/2" cubes and dot bread with them. Cover with foil.
Place pan into a larger pan. Add water to a depty of 1" in the larger pan. Bake 1 hour, 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered another 15-20 minutes, or till set.

Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Store in refrigerator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another good idea is to make bread pudding out of leftover zuchinni bread, pumpkin bread, banana bread, date bread, nut bread....the list goes on :)

Over the last couple of years, I've posted a number of bread and butter pudding recipes - including Delia Smith's absolutely great one with marmalade! If you do a search from the dark blue bar above, and key in bread and butter pudding, you'll find loads of recipes from lots of the members here.

Once you have a basic B&B pudding recipe, you can adapt it many ways. Try scattering chocolate buttons thru' it, adding sliced banana;s and putting a slosh of rum in with the egg/cream mix.
I love a lemon meringue one. Just sprinkle lemon zest over the pudding along with some granulated sugar. Put meringue on top and Bobs ya uncle!
I most always use croissants or brioche these days :( :rolleyes: and a 1/2 and 1/2 or all cream mix. You can imagine that we DO NOT have this often.:neutral:

Lyn

Lynan said:
I love a lemon meringue one. Just sprinkle lemon zest over the pudding along with some granulated sugar. Put meringue on top and Bobs ya uncle!

That sounds unbelievable!!! YUM

JKath have you tried a ' Queen of Puddings'?? This is a very English pud and involves bread, raspberry jam and soft, fluffy, light meringue.:)
Let me know if you aint heard of it and I will post it.
Hang on...I'll go do a search and see if anyone has ever put it on these boards.:chef:

Oh boy, I would like to thank everyone who posted here and gave me a recipe for bread pudding. I will never be a good cook like all of you but having everyone at my fingertips is such a blessing. Thanks again I sure do appreciate this site.

Ishbel said:
Over the last couple of years, I've posted a number of bread and butter pudding recipes - including Delia Smith's absolutely great one with marmalade! If you do a search from the dark blue bar above, and key in bread and butter pudding, you'll find loads of recipes from lots of the members here.

As a member of the Bread Pudding Eaters Hall of Fame, I can vouch for Ishbel's (Delia's) recipe with marmalade. And thanks, PA, for remembering mom's recipe. Hers is the one I turn to more often than any other. But some of the ideas here sound perfectly wonderful. Bring it on, Tattrat!

I will post the recipie when I make a batch. I normally eyeball it, but I will document it, and post it.

I won a "Most Memorable Meal in Hampton Roads" award with that and a couple other items, so I guess it is pretty good. I like it because it isn't that sweet................it also makes great french toast in the mornings.

TATTRAT said:
What kind of quanity are you looking for?

img_317473_0_01401a9a41d9ecd7599c14952f52780b.jpg

Oh my word! I just want to literally dive right into that bread pudding. White chocolate & blueberries - 2 of my favorite things! I'm not much of a dessert person but this could turn out to be my new addiction. Please, please make another batch soon so you can give us some sort of recipe. Please, I'm begging you!!! :pig:

That pudding sure does look inviting.....I may just haul a bag of blueberries out of the freezer tonight!!:)

Anyone making a chocolate B&B pudding, soak some raisins or sultanas in rum until plump and add. Veeeeeery nice! Well, for the adults at least.

I will post the Queen of PuddingS recipe Jkath, couldnt see it here. ::)

Thanks, Lynan!

However, feel free to start a link, with Queen of Puddings as the title, so that many will see it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom