Garbage Disposal - Should I Drink This Kool Aid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beats me, I didn't know we were only supposed to run cold water - I don't think hot will ruin it, I know I have been using all temps of water and haven't broke one yet!

I always thought it was because the HOT water melted the grease...and you want the food in a more solid form when being cut up by the blades and taken down the pipes.

I thought it was because if you are an idiot and catch some splash its better it be cold and not hot. I think it is just a CYA thing on the manufacturers part.

TATTRAT said:
Because if you are using hot water, then you are making sink soup, and not pureed garbage.

OH-MY-GOSH! I couldn't decide if I was more grossed out or amused by that post. Karma regardless.

pdswife said:
I always thought it was because the HOT water melted the grease...and you want the food in a more solid form when being cut up by the blades and taken down the pipes.

That's my understanding also. I like TATTRAT's discription. :sick:

To avoid overheating the motor, which is the biggest cause of failure in GDs. If you have a nice large blob of beef fat or chicken skin, for example, it can take several minutes to grind it all away, which beats sticking your mitt in the hole and pulling out that glop. Yuck!

But I do use hot water when I have something greasy to grind. I even pour bacon grease down the hole with hot water -- after adding a bit of detergent to the grease.

Last edited:
My ex was a plumbing contractor - he always said "COLD WATER" :ohmy: (well there was a "term of endearment" after that.

It was the grease thing. If you grind up grease with hot water it will go through the disposal, hit the pipes and as soon as it finds a cool spot it will solidify and eventually form a clog. If you use cold water it will flush through the pipes in small globs and not clog the pipes.

That was what he pounded into my head over 13 years.:bangin::w00t2::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom