CJS cookbook (community cookbooks do you like them?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef_Jen said:
Jean on these boards message her im sure she will give you some insight i own 5 copies of that book she did...

her username is CJS

Thank you. Now I can stop googling for "CJS." I came up with some weird ones there.

Thanks for the plug, Jen!!:chef:

A bunch of us got together a while back and submitted the recipes for dishes - all comfort foods - that we had grown up with, or had made for our families when we were all starting out (read dirt poor!! :rolleyes: ). I put them together in book form and we sell them to everyone and anyone!!

ALL the proceeds from the book goes to sponsor Chef Scholarships - and we've been able to sponsor one $1,000.00 scholarship with the proceeds of our little book. We are all so proud of it.

Here's an example of one of the recipes - dacook submitted it and I'm sure we've all made it or a variation of it over the years! It's really good.

* Exported from MasterCook *
TACO PIE
Recipe By :(DaCook) Marlene, chillin', north of 60°, Whitehorse, Yukon

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
BROWN & DRAIN THE GREASE:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c minced onion
3 Tbsps chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder (or a small amount of fresh minced)
1/2 tsp salt
BEAT TILL SMOOTH:
3 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
1 Tbsp oil
2/3 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
----------
14 ozs can refried beans
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 c grated cheese (your choice)
shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, & salsa
for garnish

Grease two 8" pie tins.Spread ground beef mixture evenly into the two pie tins. Drop spoonfuls of refried beans on top of beef mixture.

Pour egg/milk mixture evenly between the two pies.
Top with sliced tomatoes & grated cheese.
Bake at 400° for 20-25 min., till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting. Cut pies into 6 pieces.

Have lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole & salsa for all to top each slice as desired. Estimate 2 to 3 pieces per person as a meal.
------

There are 126 recipes in this little gem.

Last edited:
Our Curves put one together. They should be coming out anytime and they sell for $12. I can't wait to see it.

cjs said:
ALL the proceeds from the book goes to sponsor Chef Scholarships - and we've been able to sponsor one $1,000.00 scholarship with the proceeds of our little book.
give me some of that money n I'll go to school cjs.

I remember dishes like CHICKEN CACCIATORE, GOULASH and that dish with noodles, sour cream and ground beef ??? We had lots of TV dinners and leftover meatloaf. But when my Grandma came over she baked and boyz cold that wonderful woman bake. I would sneak up behind her and undo the neat little bow she tied in her apron string. I knew she loved it. But I would laugh and run away like she wanted to catch me always acting surprised. The perfect Grandma. I have in my possession somewhere her hand written recipe for her loaf bread. I've named it after her last name, Stone Bread.
I have never made a cinnamon roll but I've watched her so many times as a small boy peeking over the counter I could tell you every step and her secrets I have *tears*

Last edited:
Happy days Jean
I seem to remember it all starded when we where discusing, cheap, tasty and wholesome food. You did a great job. My copy is always at hand.

RD
Happy memories are like jewels, thank you for sharing yours and making me smile

Last edited:
happy days, yes Dave - that was such a fun project. I think it started with someone asking us what we made our families for dinner when we didn't have any money and boy were we all off and running with that!

RD - you hit it, the recipes in the book for the most part were exactly like your grandma's - family dishes just filled with memories.

I still remember it well. I cant remember how many recipe's you had to whittle down, but boy was it a lot. I am now thinking about the rabbit pies my mum used to make lol :chef:
Speak after the weekend Jean, We are off to "Islander" in about an hour.

Have fun, Dave!

I don't even keep CJS Chef Scholarship Fundraiser cookbook in my bookshelves. It's on my desk to peruse and plan menus.

I'd write her and say, "Company's coming and I'm making #56, #79, #17 etc. The recipes are easy, 'cheap' and really good.

Back
Top Bottom