Have you seen the movie Hostel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My wife and I saw the most disturbing movie we ever could have conceived of last night. We rented the movie "Hostel". I had seen it in blockbuster for a while now and I always pick it up, but my wife always nixed the decision to get it. Well last night she finally gave in and we rented it. My wife is seriously scarred from this movie now.

It was the most horrible thing I have ever seen on a TV or movie screen. The movie itself was very well done, but the plot was just so horrifying that it will be hard to to get these images out of our minds.

If you like scary sick bloody movies then check out Hostel. This is a horror movie, but not a ridiculous type like Friday the 13th part 87. This is a REAL horror flick. Do not watch this if you want to get a good nights sleep.

So has anyone else seen this one?

Not only have I not seen it, but I have absolutely no intention to. Nor did I when it first came out. I found the trailers on tv disturbing enough.

In my opinion, films like this are nothing but an extremely sad & extremely sick commentary on today's values. I not only find it sick that someone actually produced something like this in the name of "entertainment", but even sicker that so many people actually shelled out money to see it in theatres - & enjoyed it.

Yep, saw it. Had the same thoughts as you. I really thought it was an interesting movie, but DANG!!! GROSS!
I have to say that I liked the ending! But, will never see it again.

My wife could not agree with you more Breezy. She told me she is not sure what bothered her more, the movie or that I enjoyed it. I do not think enjoy is the word I would use to describe what I felt when watching this, but I do feel (and she agrees) that it was a very well done movie.

I asked her if she enjoyed movies like Schindlers List or Saving Private Ryan or other movies that were sick and disturbing in their own ways. She felt this one was different because she did not ever think something like what happened in this movie was possible.

Yes It Was Way Gross For Me...
I Didn't Care For It,i Love Horror
But That Was To Much....yuck!

I've seen it. I don't believe I was as creeped out as you were. I'm 44 years old...and still haven't gotten over seeing the Amittyville Horror back in the 70's.

I guess different movies effect each of us differently.

No.. my son did though. I knew when he liked it I wouldn't.

Amittyville... yep..that one got me too Vera.

I am a HUGE fan of anything Quinten Terintino has anyhting to do with, but I have yet to see hostel. Honestly, reading all these posts are making me want to see it more!:)

TATTRAT said:
I am a HUGE fan of anything Quinten Terintino has anyhting to do with, but I have yet to see hostel. Honestly, reading all these posts are making me want to see it more!:)
I love all things Tarantino as well which is why I wanted to see this movie so badly. If you like Tarantino then this movie will not disappoint you.

The most scarring I got was from the Exorcist.... anyhow, this sounds like my kind of movie.... I love horror flicks!!!

I thought it was interesting and found the plot a little disturbing. It was off the formulaic track from most other horror movies and I rented it because of Tarantino. I thought it was okay.

We rented a couple of others over the weekend.
The Hills Have Eyes - enjoyed it. A bit more to the standard formula (Wes Craven)
Silent Hill - A complete waste of time. I'm going to return it today and ask for a free rental or my money back... and I've never done anything like that before. It was that bad.

pdswife said:
No.. my son did though. I knew when he liked it I wouldn't.

Amittyville... yep..that one got me too Vera.

PDS, to this very day, I still have problems seeing 3:15 on a clock.

This is not a typical "horror" movie" as with scary "monsters", of things that are really fake. This is actually based on true events...i'm sure not the whole movie. It is a freaky movie because you think does this really happen and do people get their kicks from doing these things......and thats why it is freaky, because somewhere in the world, there are actually these kinds of people.......I enjoyed it though

The Z said:
I thought it was interesting and found the plot a little disturbing. It was off the formulaic track from most other horror movies and I rented it because of Tarantino. I thought it was okay.

We rented a couple of others over the weekend.
The Hills Have Eyes - enjoyed it. A bit more to the standard formula (Wes Craven)
Silent Hill - A complete waste of time. I'm going to return it today and ask for a free rental or my money back... and I've never done anything like that before. It was that bad.

I enjoyed the hill have eyes
I agree silent hill was not that great...
I am A huge fan of the Jason series movies "Friday the 13th"
the earlier years for sure...

TATTRAT said:

same here...and like GB said...u will NOT be disapointed by hostel...

i loved this flick..and have seen it 3X. in fact its on my dvr...i may just try and sneek it in b4 the FSU v. Miami game....

GO NOLES!!!! :-p

:) I love alot of horror movies especially vampire movies, but this was not a horror movie it was a sick comment on some people in todays culture cashing in on younger peoples curiosities.Just too gory.Something I thought I would never say.To me Amittyville was quite tame. I thought the newer Zombie movies were gory enough[but you know it's not real at least not yet] but not to the sick extent of this movie.
The Excorcist scared the you know what out of me and still does.

Last edited:
I hope no one hates me after reading my post but....
I know there are very sensitive people out there who are very frightened of horror movies in general and I respect that but I really am lost why so many people think this movie was so "gory". In my opinion, they showed almost nothing. A few quick glimpses of a few acts of violence. The premise was frightening but I don't think it was gory at all and I don't think it was well written or well done.

As far as disturbing, gory and thought provoking, I think Saw and Saw II have the monopoly on that. Another one that had some disturbing stuff was See No Evil with wrestling star Kane as the star. Hellraiser I and II were pretty good for fright, some gore and being very creepy. I just love them!!!

As far as Amityville, I was frightened by that because it was supposed to be a true story and I believe in such things but looking at it just as a movie, I don't think it was so great.

Anyway, I had heard raves about Hostel and was extremely disappointed cause I wasted a few hours of my life for nothing lol. Oh and for the record, my husband feels the way many of you feel here. He just doesn't get why I enjoy watching people do awful things to each other. That's not how I look at it but, oh well, he'll never understand:)

Arcana said:
In my opinion, they showed almost nothing. A few quick glimpses of a few acts of violence.
A man having a drill go right into his leg. Fingers and legs being cut off in numerous ways. Eyeballs being blowtorched out of the socket and hanging inches out of the skull. Achilles tendons being sliced. People walking in front of trains. The list goes on and on. I guess we all have different ideas of what is gory.

What got to me about this more though was not the gore, but the horror of "why" this was happening. It was the psychological part, not the visual part that really got to me.

Back
Top Bottom