Uneven baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txbamagirl

Assistant Cook
I having trouble with my cakes getting too brown on the bottom & sides. I don't have this problem baking cookies or breads. I have tried diffrent pans...I just made a pound cake using pampered chief stoneware..the inside was super moist but still sides & bottom too brown. CAN SOMEONE HELP????

Thanks in advand & hello to everyone...new member!

Hmmm... when I use glassware (Pyrex-type) for baking, I have to lower the temperature by about 15 degrees. Maybe stoneware is similar.

Don't remember why; it's what I was taught years ago...

Welcome Txbama... please don't post in bold -- and red to boot! It's as if you are screaming, and that's unsettling! The regular default font will work just fine and get your point across better.

Yes, I think you probably need to lower the temp by 25 degrees when you bake with ceramic or Pyrex. Otherwise, have you checked your oven temperature? That could be off.

Alternatively, you can check on the cake a little earlier and take it out of the oven sooner. It's done when a fork (or a piece of uncooked spaghetti!) stuck in the middle comes out clean, with no batter clinging to it.

If it seems too brown and you've got to use it right now, try trimming the overbaked areas off. And cover with frosting!

Good luck!

Perhaps the stoneware retains a lot of heat because it's so much thicker than a standard metal cake pan, or a cookie sheet or bread pan.

I'm guessing that thinner metal pans cool much more quickly than thick stoneware once removed from the oven.

If the thick stoneware retains heat and keeps the cake from cooling, the cake will continue cooking and end up overdone where it contacts the pan -- the sides and bottom of the cake.

Try a different pan -- stoneware doesn't seem to me to be a good choice for baking cakes.

Since you've already tried different pans, temperature has to be the problem. Reduce the heat 25F to start and try again. If it's better but not perfect, try reducing the heat 50F, etc.

If you're following a recipe that dictates that temperature, it's possible the oven thermostat is out of whack. You could check it with an oven thermometer and have it adjusted by a serviceman.

Where in your oven are you baking? Should be in the middlish.
What color are your pans? Dark pans will brown more than light colored pans.
For the stoneware you may have to reduce the temp and cook longer.

thanks everyone..didn't mean to offend with the color..I often use that color...anyway..thanks for the advice..I have a feeling my oven might be off..I always set my timer 5 min earlier than recipe calls for...the outside is done but the inside is not. I will trying lower temp of oven...the stoneware is new..only used once...I have tried all kinds of pans with the same results.

1) If you have a convection oven - turn the fan off and use it as conventional oven. Convection may work for cookies - but it really messes up cakes.

2) If you don't already have one - get a bulb type oven thermometer ... they are cheap and the most accurate. You can find a picture of one and a description of other oven thermometers here. You can often find these in the kitchen gadgets section at your grocery store, WalMark, Kmart, Target ... Oven thermostats are know to be off frequently.

3) Shiney or dull bright aluminum are the best pans for baking cakes since they reflect heat away from the bottom and sides - so the cake bakes more evenly with a light crust. Dark colored pans will give a darker bottom and sides.

4) Glass, ceramic and stone cookware cook "hotter" - generally you need to reduce the heat about 25°-F and maybe extend the cooking time 5-10 minutes - you'll just have to check to see if your cake is done and judge from that. You can stick a toothpick, bamboo skewer, whatever into the center of the cake and it comes out clean (nothing sticking to it) it is done.

Hope this helps!

uneven baking suggestions.

hello Tuxbamagirl
Suggestions
1. Put the things which burn on bottom and sides closer to the top of the oven
2. Wrap an insulator around and under the pan u bake in. Cardboard works well. Dont worry, it wont catch fire. Tie it on, with a twine, which is not meltable.
U could also try the following, before trying the above suggestions. Bake at a lower temperature, and/or make the baking time shorter.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom