Not a Cake Recipe, but read on.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Everyone knows that after baking a lemon cake, you can pour two cups of liquid lemon jello into the cake and refrigerate for a yummy treat. So I'm not going to post that technique. Rather, my wife challenged me to make a clear, lemon sauce to go with the lemon/Jello saturated cake. I did so and it came out so very good. So this is the lemon sauce.

Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. cornstarch
3 tbs. water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbs. lemon zest

Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for ten minutes, or until the syrup stage by a candy thermometer. Stir together the corstarch and water to form a slurry. Add the remaining ingredients to the syrup, followed by the cornstarch. Stir to create a smooth sauce. Let cool in the fridge until cold. Spoon over the lemon cake slices when serving.

This sauce is good enough to cover ice cream, or sortbread, or whatever. I took four tbs. of it folded it into whipped cream, and added sliced bananas. My wife adored that combination. She was sad when we ran out of whipped cream.

From me to you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A more lemony lemon cake, can't go wrong there. Sounds WONDERFUL!

I love lemon.

Sounds wonderful Goodweed, my whole family enjoys anything citrus flavored, so I'm thinking some homemade vanilla ice cream, potato chip cookies ( much like short bread) and your sauce...Thanks

kadesma:)

mmmmm mmmmm good
Goodweed, you mentioned that your wife is sad that you ran out of whipped cream? I'm sad my husband doesn't invent lemon sauce recipes!

Have you ever seen lemon curd on the shelves by the jams in the supermarket? If you take a tin of condensed milk and mix it with the lemon curd, it makes a delicious spread for toast or for the middle of a cake.

Goodweed of the North said:
Everyone knows that after baking a lemon cake, you can pour two cups of liquid lemon jello into the cake and refrigerate for a yummy treat. So I'm not going to post that technique.

Well, everyone on earth--except me-- knew that technique.
NOW everyone knows it!
LOL

this is an absolutely divine post...
copy and paste is my best friend!

Last edited:
Our local bakery in our HyVee store has been giving out samples of a citrus lemon cake with the most delicious lemon icing on it. Thats the first place I head when I go to their store.:LOL: It's just a one layer cake but the icing is about 1 inch thick. Of course they won't give out the recipe for the icing but I would love to have it. How do you make your lemon icing?

Entemen's (sp) used to have a really good lemon cake, the best thing I ever ate from them. It was yellow cake with a thick lemon frosting. I haven't seen it in a while.

Hey, I'm confused -- not unusual for me -- about the lemon jello cake. I just made one last weekend from an old TNT recipe. I mixed a small package of lemon jello into the dry lemon cake mix and added 3/4 cup water, 3/4 cup oil and 4 well beaten eggs. I beat the batter for about 2 minutes and then poured it into a prepared 13"X9" pan and baked it for about 30 minutes or until it tested done. When I removed the cake from the oven, I poked holes all over the top with a toothpick and then poured a lemon glaze over the top. The glaze is a combination of 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice. When cool, I cut large squares and served it with lemon sorbet. At the risk of being the only person on this site that doesn't know about pouring liquid lemon jello over a lemon cake, would you be so kind as to give me the recipe? Some days I need all the help that I can get!!!!

I, too, love lemon sauce and have made it to serve with the above cake or over ginger cake as well as other goodies. But, I am bad ... when the lemon sauce is thickened and I remove it from the heat, I like to stir in a couple (sometimes more!) pats of butter. It makes the sauce so rich and creamy that I could eat it with a spoon! YUM!!!!! (Go ahead -- report me to the low-cal police! It won't be the first time!!)

Last edited:
Instead of adding the lemon jello dry mix to the cake, do what you did with the glaze. Make the jello according to the box directions and pour it over the cooled cake. Refrigerate. The jello doesn't come out like jello with cake mixed in. Rather it gives and incredible moistness to the cake, without making it soggy. And it adds intense jello flavor. My sauce was used like your glaze, but spooned over the cake slices when the cake was served. I didn't invent this cake, but my family absolutely loves it. The sauce was mine, but is just a double sugar recipe simple syrup with lemon juice in it. It tastes great, but isn't anything amazing to make.

You asked about lemon icing. Here's how I'd make that. Take 3 sticks of butter and bring up to room temp. Mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar until all is smooth. Test the consistancy. Mix in more powdered sugar until everything is very stiff and dry. Add lemon juice, two tbs. at a time and mix in until the frosting consistancy is where you like it. Taste it. If it needs more lemon, add it. If it needs to be creamier, add more butter. It it's to tart, add more powdered sugar. Play with it until it tastes just right to you. Then spread it on whatever you want (I think it would work with lemon cake :)) Good luck with your frosting/icing. I know you will make it perfect.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You asked about lemon icing. Here's how I'd make that. Take 3 sticks of butter and bring up to room temp. Mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar until all is smooth. Test the consistancy. Mix in more powdered sugar until everything is very stiff and dry. Add lemon juice, two tbs. at a time and mix in until the frosting consistancy is where you like it. Taste it. If it needs more lemon, add it. If it needs to be creamier, add more butter. It it's to tart, add more powdered sugar. Play with it until it tastes just right to you. Then spread it on whatever you want (I think it would work with lemon cake :)) Good luck with your frosting/icing. I know you will make it perfect.

Thanks for telling how to make your lemon icing. I am going to whip up a batch tomorrow.:)

I forgot to tell you that by the time all is said and done, you will have most of a bag of powdered sugar. The bags I purchase hold 2 lbs.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

jessicacarr said:
Well, everyone on earth--except me-- knew that technique.
NOW everyone knows it!
LOL

Uhuh...I had not heard that one either! Sounds a bit like the sponge in the botton of a store-bought trifle. Interesting to know, I'll remember that!:)

Thanks, Goodweed, for the recipes for lemon cake (soaked in lemon Jello) and for the lemon frosting. I, too, had never heard of pouring the liquid Jello over the cake, but I am going to give it a try for sure!! Don't worry about the extra powdered sugar -- I bake a great deal and it won't last long. Thanks, again!!!

Constance said:
I'll bet it would be good with bread pudding!

If only I could get my DW to eat bread pudding (heavy sigh). That does sound like a winning combination. But I would be eating it for 2 weeks!:LOL:

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Hello Goodweed. I'm not entirely sure what bread pudding is. If it's what I know as bread and butter pudding, try the recipe below. She is bound to love it - and she doesn't need to know what it is till she's admitted it's absolutely divine. And if she doesn't like it, I'm sure you'll have no trouble polishing it off yourself.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/chocolate-bread-and-butter-pudding,1036,RC.html

Once she's tried this, I bet you'll be able to get her to try other versions. Plus, because all the preparation work is done in advance, this is perfect for parties.

Back
Top Bottom