ISO: food processor rec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I want to use my food processor more...can you direct me to a link or a different site that will have some REC requiring the use of the fp?

I tend to think of my FP as a convenience tool rather than a primary one, such as an oven. Hence, when I decide to cook something I look at the recipe and ask what is going to be needed to fix it. Sometimes it is a FP. One great use is to grate all the carrots for a carrot cake. Another is to make your own ground meats, although you need to be careful not to go too far = mush.
Pizza crust and pie crusts are good from the FP. Also make a roasted tomato sauce by roasting tomatoes and then pureeing in the FP.
I keep homemade bread crumbs on hand always which I make in the FP.
It is good for shredding cheeses and most particularly grating hard cheeses like parmesan.
Mine makes beautiful uniform sliced mushrooms. Also sliced carrots or cucumbers.
But, unless I need a lot of "stuff" when making it, I do not bother with the FP.

Hummus or baba ganoush. Great on toasted pita chips. You can make your own chips but they now have them already toasted and flavored. I have recipes if you like for both.

I'm with Gretchen on this one - a Food Processor is just a "convenience tool". There is nothing magical that a FP can do that I haven't done by hand ... but it sure is nice, convenient, and easier at times!

It's more about knowing what your FP will do - and then putting it to work for that task than looking for recipes that require a FP.

I'll issue this challenge ... name one thing that a FP will do that wasn't done before it was created.

Last edited:
A FP DOES help speed you through some of the most tedious time-consuming tasks. Stuff that used to seem like hours to do, is now a piece of cake!

And with my K'Aid pearl Metallic FP, the most powerful home processor ever made, there is virtually nothing that it can't do!

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
And with my K'Aid pearl Metallic FP, the most powerful home processor ever made, there is virtually nothing that it can't do!

Oh Drat! Mine is green. Guess I'm screwed - wrong color ....

Michael in FtW said:
Oh Drat! Mine is green. Guess I'm screwed - wrong color ....

That's good! You know the green just doesn't develop the hp that the metallic one has. Maybe you can install an aftermarket supercharger!:ROFLMAO:

My white KA does the job also. The extra little bowl is REALLY nice to have for a lot of herbs.

I've had several different CuisinArt food processors almost since they first appeared on the scene, which must have been in the mid- to late-1970s. I've had good luck with them and probably would buy another if mine were to conk out. I currently have a Cuisinart Power Prep Plus with a complete set of blades and a Cuisinart Mini Prep. Over the years I've learned to make these machines do just about anything I want, from slicing to shredding to mincing, chopping, and blending.

As so many others have said, however, a food processor is not a magic shortcut to good food. In reality, it's little more than a complicated automatic chopping and slicing machine. While it's convenient to have when you need to cut up a great deal of food, I find that it's too much trouble for most tasks, and so I rarely use it.

Knives are faster and a lot less hassle for most jobs. For blending sauces and so forth, I like my KitchenAid hand blender -- it does a better job and is much faster.

For small jobs, like mincing a cup of parsley or grinding nuts, I like my Cuisinart MiniPrep -- just a bowl, a lid, and a blade and extremely simple to operate -- but the larger machine is a PITA! Worth it when you need it, but I just don't need it more than a couple of times per year.

I have the Cuisinart one also, too bad I didn't get the supercharged, ultra powerful KA. I use mine to make biscuits with, it's just a whole lot easier than using the pastry thing to get the butter into little pea sized chunks.

carolelaine said:
I have the Cuisinart one also, too bad I didn't get the supercharged, ultra powerful KA. I use mine to make biscuits with, it's just a whole lot easier than using the pastry thing to get the butter into little pea sized chunks.

You can use your KA mixer whisk attachment to cut shortening into flour very nicely.

I have an old GE food processor that is one of the first ones made. My ex-MIL bought it for me over 30 years ago, when I was still doing a lot of canning. It weighs a ton, but it still going strong. I lost the discs somewhere along the line, but it still does about anything I want it to. I told Kim not to get me a new one until this one spits out the bits.
I also have a baby Cuisinart that is surprisly handy for things like chopping herbs, nuts or a few breadcrumbs.

As far as recipes using your food processor, Ina Garten has one for pie crust that I haven't tried, but looks good. That sure would be convenient if it did work.

I just gave my old Cuisinart DLC-7Pro to my friend whom I've been helping get over his problems with alcoholism.

He seems to love to cook now and then, so I gave the machine to him, now that I own the K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food Processor!! This, he likes, since it with help him keep his mind off drinking and become a culinary expert in the kitchen!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom