Child Abuse & Sibling Rivalries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Please don't let the title startle you. This is actually for Mudbug:LOL:.

We were discussing things our parents made us do, that, in our enlightened opinions amounts to child abuse.

I figured I'd toss in sibling rivalry/abuse just for 'pips' and giggles.

My mother used to make me ride my bike (without benifit of bike basket) to the supermarket to fetch groceries she had run short of. This meant I had to hold the bag (and sometimes it had big gallons of milk:angry:) with one hand and steer with the other.

My brother was quite enterprising. He had a very large after-school paper route. There were easily a hundred and twenty five papers over 6 miles to be delivered. It also had to be done on foot because of the geography. When he was in the midst of baseball practice I had to do his route. He never permitted me to make the collections because he didn't want me getting the tips. He paid me a dollar a week. This was 1975. My parents told me I had no choice.

We had a glass shower door which my father insisted on cleaning with some product called 'Jubilee'. He would spend 2 hours cleaning this thing, getting off all the soap build up and lime...etc. We only had one bathroom, by the way. When he was finished, he would tell us no one was allowed to use the bathroom till the next day. He wanted it to stay clean for a while.

My father liked to make breakfast on sunday morning. My father also liked to get up early. It's not too bad when you're 7 or 8...but when you're 17 and were out with friends the night before, being told 'you can't eat cold eggs' at 7am is torture.

My mother insisted we 'kids' phone our grandmother to say goodnight every night. Everytime my grandmother would ask to speak to my mother, however, she'd run out of the room.:LOL:

When I was 10 I traveled to Italy with my family. My sister was 6. Being only slightly more understanding of the lire than my sister, I convinced her that the bigger the size of the paper bill, the more it was worth. I got her to trade all her little bills for my big bills. :devilish:

Okay.....your turn. And Mudbug, I do hope you have had a nice laugh!

Love it, Vera! Actually, I never thought of the ciggie-fetching task as abuse - it was just one more item mom needed from the store every couple of days......just thought it was quaint how store clerks would readily hand over a pack of butts to a kid back in the day.

But on to sib rivalry and other tortures..........
Being the oldest, I constantly heard "take your sister/brother/the baby with you" whenever I wanted to venture outside. At a young age, I had determined that I was meant to be like Huck Finn - orphaned, barefoot, and available for any adventure that the burbs of Chicago could offer (not quite the same as having the Miss. River readily to hand, but nevertheless a kid could dream...)

What I never got was how the responsibility tasks never left - even when the younger sibs got to be old enough to do what I had been doing at their age, taking the sister/brother/baby along on their daily excursions - it always had to be me. In fact, one of my younger sisters to this day uses that excuse to avoid anything difficult ("but mudbug, you're the oldest...")

One good thing about this role was I got to rush the younger kids thru their dessert and scarfed up the remnants.

I am the youngest, so I got tortured regularly. My sister closest to me in age (only 9 years older) used to babysit me and she was MEAN! My parents would walk out the door at 6:30 or so and she would immediately tell me it was bedtime. I would argue, and she would pick up the phone to "call" them whereever they had gone. Being only 6 or so at the time I believed that crap and would run my butt to my room as fast as I could go! Got my own back though. She worked really hard to buy her own contacts (Mom would pay for glasses but if you wanted contacts you had to pay for your own) and she would leave the solutions on the counter in the bathroom. Did y'know, you can make really creative fingerpaints with contact solution, eyeshadow and a dab of lotion?

I should turn back time and begin some sort of this same discipline we used to have. My mom would make me clean and dust the house, fold clothes, and wash dishes. I remember my brother (1.5 years older than me) walking to the grocery store with her to help her carry grocery bags (and they were not light, let me tell you). Mother used to have me hang my clothes on a clothes line (do you remember those?..eek) until we were able to get a descent dryer. TV shows were the ones we had to watch with our parents-how did we survive? Who knows. I'm just thankful for cable now. If grades were below 70s we were in for a good swatting with no excuses.

All the luxuries we have now don't even measure to what we had back then. Maybe this way, our kids would take things seriously and know when we mean business. I feel there are things we, as well as, kids take things for granted now. I still am very stern with the rules and consequences with my kids but sometimes, they can really push the limit. Argh! Like today, when I went into the online gradebook for my son. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't even go there! Sorry, I had to vent!

I swore as a teenager that I was never going to get married and never but never going to have kids..I being the oldest, was in charge of my sister. This of course gave my sister the green light to say no to anything I asked and I'm goona to other things. I was in charge of picking up groceries each day after school for dinner, waiting at home straight after school to meet little sis when she got home and then starting dinner each night, either washing or drying dishes after, my home work, then maybe a few minutes of TV and it was bed. My sister knew that she was expected to hang her school uni up when she got home and then make her bed..Nope, she always had dire homework to get done or else..So old sucker would do it for her and off she'd go to play!!! Homework, oh she'd say daddy has to help me later. Yep later, just when it was time to take a turn drying dishes!!! Yep, I would get the call. When asked to go to the store to pick up milk or what ever, there was always a battle and for peace for myself, I'd give in and do it. Silly thing was, I never ever told my folk the problems I had with her, until years later when they moved here to live..Mom and dad both said, you should have said something!!!!! Sure:LOL: and just what would I have said? That kid had me figured out from the day she came home from being born, I still haven't got a handle on her:ohmy: I didn't stand a chance unless I could have sold her to the Circus:ROFLMAO:
So, thus the feelings I didn't want kids..Yep, me no kids and here I sit having had four and now have six grandkids four of whom I watch..Know what, they more that make up for the pains of being a big sister..
kadesma:-p

mah older sisters dressed me n skirts n painted mah nails(red) when I was too small to hitum. They didn't have polish remover, so I had to go to kindergarten with chipped nail polish.
img_321533_0_bc38613ef2e68ddca20c6e7d0470cf01.gif

Last edited:
I was the girl... he was the boy.. I did all the dishes...setting the table clearing the table, fill the dishwasher, empty the dishwasher, make the salad, vaccuum, and dust and empty the garbage, HE had to take the trash can to the road on trash day and if he forgot... I HAD to do it.

I could go on and on about how unfair life was... but... I'm sure ya don't want to hear it.

I had no siblings to either torture or be tortured by but my mother more than made up for it. She did Spring Cleaning every Saturday - I mean stuff most of us never do or do once a year max! She was a clean-aholic! I was never allowed to watch cartoons on Saturday am - and if I didn't do the job to her standards I'd be required to sit and watch her work....now that is torture! And she could stretch a lecture over some misdemeanor into days! I remember asking her to "Please just hit me!" that did NOT go over well!

One Saturday, very determined to do such a good job she'd have no complaints, I dusted her philladendron (sp) (which was ancient and intertwined almost into a macrame) so thoroughly I completely un tangled it and cleaned every single leaf. It died! :ROFLMAO:

Dina said:
I should turn back time and begin some sort of this same discipline we used to have. My mom would make me clean and dust the house, fold clothes, and wash dishes. I remember my brother (1.5 years older than me) walking to the grocery store with her to help her carry grocery bags (and they were not light, let me tell you). Mother used to have me hang my clothes on a clothes line (do you remember those?..eek) until we were able to get a descent dryer. TV shows were the ones we had to watch with our parents-how did we survive? Who knows. I'm just thankful for cable now. If grades were below 70s we were in for a good swatting with no excuses.

All the luxuries we have now don't even measure to what we had back then. Maybe this way, our kids would take things seriously and know when we mean business. I feel there are things we, as well as, kids take things for granted now. I still am very stern with the rules and consequences with my kids but sometimes, they can really push the limit. Argh! Like today, when I went into the online gradebook for my son. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't even go there! Sorry, I had to vent!

Dina, I always thought my neighbour's clothes dryer was broken because she always hung her clothes out to dry. This was afte we got a clothes dryer. On the other hand, I always wondered where my other neighbour hung her clothes to dry...because she never hung them outside. See....she had a clothes dryer!

Do you remember actually having to get up off the sofa to change the television channel?

kadesma said:
I swore as a teenager that I was never going to get married and never but never going to have kids..I being the oldest, was in charge of my sister. This of course gave my sister the green light to say no to anything I asked and I'm goona to other things. I was in charge of picking up groceries each day after school for dinner, waiting at home straight after school to meet little sis when she got home and then starting dinner each night, either washing or drying dishes after, my home work, then maybe a few minutes of TV and it was bed. My sister knew that she was expected to hang her school uni up when she got home and then make her bed..Nope, she always had dire homework to get done or else..So old sucker would do it for her and off she'd go to play!!! Homework, oh she'd say daddy has to help me later. Yep later, just when it was time to take a turn drying dishes!!! Yep, I would get the call. When asked to go to the store to pick up milk or what ever, there was always a battle and for peace for myself, I'd give in and do it. Silly thing was, I never ever told my folk the problems I had with her, until years later when they moved here to live..Mom and dad both said, you should have said something!!!!! Sure:LOL: and just what would I have said? That kid had me figured out from the day she came home from being born, I still haven't got a handle on her:ohmy: I didn't stand a chance unless I could have sold her to the Circus:ROFLMAO:
So, thus the feelings I didn't want kids..Yep, me no kids and here I sit having had four and now have six grandkids four of whom I watch..Know what, they more that make up for the pains of being a big sister..
kadesma:-p

We had the same sister. I know it. Is her name Nancy? I have an older brother, who never had any responsibility around the house because he was such an 'over achiever'...he was always studying, being the lead in some play or being the star athlete... I also have a younger sister who couldn't really be counted on for anything. After all, she was the baby. Like you, I had to come straight home after school to keep an eye on her, and get dinner started. All the rest of the kids on the street were out playing till dinner time, but I was always stuck home right after school. Tell me her name was Nancy...I know it's the same person.:LOL:

rdcast said:
mah older sisters dressed me n skirts n painted mah nails(red) when I was too small to hitum. They didn't have polish remover, so I had to go to kindergarten with chipped nail polish.
img_321598_0_bc38613ef2e68ddca20c6e7d0470cf01.gif

oooo...X rated....:brows:

lindatooo said:
I had no siblings to either torture or be tortured by but my mother more than made up for it. She did Spring Cleaning every Saturday - I mean stuff most of us never do or do once a year max! She was a clean-aholic! I was never allowed to watch cartoons on Saturday am - and if I didn't do the job to her standards I'd be required to sit and watch her work....now that is torture! And she could stretch a lecture over some misdemeanor into days! I remember asking her to "Please just hit me!" that did NOT go over well!

One Saturday, very determined to do such a good job she'd have no complaints, I dusted her philladendron (sp) (which was ancient and intertwined almost into a macrame) so thoroughly I completely un tangled it and cleaned every single leaf. It died! :ROFLMAO:

I think I missed every saturday morning cartoon too! My mother would blow into the bedroom at 7:30 with the vacuum cleaner. If that didn't actually wake you up, she'd bump it into the bed a few times. Then it was chore time. Every other kid on the street was watching the Flintsones or whatever was on on Saturday morning, but not me. I was learning the finer points of dusting before you vacuum and how to properly iron the collar on a shirt. If I was lucky, I got done in time for HR puffenstuff.

Alix said:
LOL!! I DO!! My Dad called me his remote control!

Do you remember getting yelled at if you changed them too fast? My father insisted we turn the knob one at a time, giving the show on that channel a chance to visualize before changing to the next channel. He was convinced the knob would break if we simply turned it all the way from 2 (what kid ever watched channel 2?) to channel 11.

rdcast said:

img_321603_0_bc38613ef2e68ddca20c6e7d0470cf01.gif

could have been worse, rdcast. we painted our little brothers' toenails. Would have curled their hair too, but Dad always believed in the GI crewcut for little boys.

VeraBlue said:
Do you remember actually having to get up off the sofa to change the television channel?

Boy, do I remember the manual switching channels! I blessed the day they got a TV with a remote.

pdswife said:
I was the girl... he was the boyI could go on and on about how unfair life was... but... I'm sure ya don't want to hear it.

You had the same parents I did - specific sexes had specific chores.
To this day I have never mowed a lawn. Until my brothers moved out, they never washed a dish.

And boys think their clean underwear magically appears in their dresser drawers. Some are tortured by actually having to put it away themselves.

:cry: I was mah dad's bartender n book caddie and mah sisters always laughed at me
It's too painful, I must stop...

k1ocray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
VeraBlue said:
We had the same sister. I know it. Is her name Nancy? I have an older brother, who never had any responsibility around the house because he was such an 'over achiever'...he was always studying, being the lead in some play or being the star athlete... I also have a younger sister who couldn't really be counted on for anything. After all, she was the baby. Like you, I had to come straight home after school to keep an eye on her, and get dinner started. All the rest of the kids on the street were out playing till dinner time, but I was always stuck home right after school. Tell me her name was Nancy...I know it's the same person.:LOL:
Well Hellooooo sister Vera:ROFLMAO: How's Nancy Judy?
kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom