Hot Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I had my first mug of hot chocolate tonight. I really wanted tea, but I go to bed so early that it sometimes disturbs my sleep.

But, I was chilled and needed something. I warmed some milk in a pot with a bit of chocolate syrup, a pinch of vanilla and the tiniest dash of nutmeg.

When I really have time, I'll warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean and a dash of brandy. Then, top it with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.

I never much cared for those marshmallows floating about. Something creepy about watching them melt helplessly into the cup..

Anyone else have a good hot chocolate recipe?

For several years now I've kept Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa Mix in the cupboard. It's much more of a homemade convenience product than the "warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean..." recipe VeraBlue described but nonetheless, I think it's very good.

My grandmother used to do something with a skillet, cocoa, sugar, butter and milk that was to die for! I wish she was around now to teach me her secret ... :(

And I'm with you Verablue - no marshmellow!

tdejarnette said:
I like the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa powder box

That's what I use too.

Am I one of the few that REALLY likes just a cup of warm milk on a chilly night? It has to be whole milk though - skim just doesn't cut it this time.

The best, without doubt, that you can make at home is with Charbonel and Walker Hot Chocolate. It comes in beautiful tins, and is flakes of very lovely milk chocolate. I add the chocolate to a milk pan and use a whisk to stir...rather than actually whisk. I don't know why but this is an important bit of the making for me- the whisk! This is the quickest and easiest and best way to make hot milk chocolate. Its not too sweet.

We have cocoa if we fancy something darker and deeper.

I like the marshmallows, occasionally. I am more likely to add a slug of dark rum and cinnamon! mmmmmmmmm if you have never tried it you simply have to.

Sometimes instead of rum and cinnamon I and a couple of bashed cardomon pods to intoxicate me with their smell. My "diet" night time drink is simply hot skimmed milk with the cardomon. The fragance is delightfully indulgent.

I love nutmeg but have never added it to hot chocolate. Its to hot here still but maybe its cool enough in England. I'll try it next time I'm hot chocolating!

I look at the recipe off an old container of hersey's cocoa I keep just for the recipe. I do not use hersey's anything, I buy my cocoa from Penzeys and buy a variety of their cocoa's.

I usually use half again as much milk as the recipe calls for; I use 6 cups of milk if the recipe calls for 4 cups of milk. I use whole goats milk and a splash of vanilla. Ohmygosh is it good!!!!!

I honestly have never tried warm milk on a chilly night.

We usually make the Ibarra mexican hot chocolate. It is very tasty!

There is a place in town, this little belgian restaurant, that has the best hc I've ever tasted! Their food isn't all that incredible but the hc is out of this world. The chop up the chocolate and melt it into the milk. Maybe the put some vanilla in or something. Try as we might, we can't reproduce it. I think we need to find out what brand of choc they use, that probably makes all the difference.

I do what my mother did. At the begining of the winter I will make a big batch of dried hot chocolate mix, it last through the whole winter. That way when I want a cup I only have to add a little milk and water and heat it up in the microwave.

skilletlicker said:
For several years now I've kept Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa Mix in the cupboard. It's much more of a homemade convenience product than the "warm the milk with chunks of a very good quality semi-sweet chocolate, some sugar, a vanilla bean..." recipe VeraBlue described but nonetheless, I think it's very good.

I love the idea of the pinch of cayenne...I've done it a couple of times when the hot chocolate was an integral part of dessert. It reminds me of the movie Chocolat.

kitchenelf said:
That's what I use too.

Am I one of the few that REALLY likes just a cup of warm milk on a chilly night? It has to be whole milk though - skim just doesn't cut it this time.

Way back in the 80s when I was pregnant with my kids I needed something at night...you know...when you really need something...?

I used to warm milk with a dash of nutmeg and a dash of vanilla. I rarely use whole milk, but skim will never see the inside of my fridge, either:LOL:

lulu said:
The best, without doubt, that you can make at home is with Charbonel and Walker Hot Chocolate. It comes in beautiful tins, and is flakes of very lovely milk chocolate. I add the chocolate to a milk pan and use a whisk to stir...rather than actually whisk. I don't know why but this is an important bit of the making for me- the whisk! This is the quickest and easiest and best way to make hot milk chocolate. Its not too sweet.

We have cocoa if we fancy something darker and deeper.

I like the marshmallows, occasionally. I am more likely to add a slug of dark rum and cinnamon! mmmmmmmmm if you have never tried it you simply have to.

Sometimes instead of rum and cinnamon I and a couple of bashed cardomon pods to intoxicate me with their smell. My "diet" night time drink is simply hot skimmed milk with the cardomon. The fragance is delightfully indulgent.

I love nutmeg but have never added it to hot chocolate. Its to hot here still but maybe its cool enough in England. I'll try it next time I'm hot chocolating!

Your milk and cardamom sounds very thai.

corazon90 said:
We usually make the Ibarra mexican hot chocolate. It is very tasty!

There is a place in town, this little belgian restaurant, that has the best hc I've ever tasted! Their food isn't all that incredible but the hc is out of this world. The chop up the chocolate and melt it into the milk. Maybe the put some vanilla in or something. Try as we might, we can't reproduce it. I think we need to find out what brand of choc they use, that probably makes all the difference.

What is Ibarra mexican hot chocolate? Does it have that dash of cayenne?

IBARRA__100-212x230.jpg

Ingredients
Sugar, cocoa nibs, lecithin and cinnamon

This comes in wedges that you grate and add to hot milk. 2 wedges per cup usually but I like to use 3. And I'm sure it would taste great with a dash of cayenne. Like I said, I think it's good but it's different than a decadent belgian hc.
Ibarra is the good stuff! Don't confuse it with Abuelita, made by Nestle. It's not nearly as tasty.

1042K.gif

Ingredients: Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier), Cocoa Butter (Processed with Alkali), Artificial Cinnamon Flavors.

Last edited:
VeraBlue said:
Your milk and cardamom sounds very thai.

Vera, was a little surprised by your comment. I rarely encounter this ingredient hereabouts. Cardamom is not commonly used in Thai cooking except for Massaman curry (which is of foreign Muslim origin), it is however, widely used in Thailand for medicinal purposes such as treatment of tummy aches and other digestion problems. Cardamom is commonly used in Danish pastries, Scandinavian spice cakes, Saudi Arabian coffee, North African and Indian cooking and in spice blends such as garam masala and curry powder.

Chopstix, if you ever visit america you'll see a pod resting at the bottom of a tea cup, too!

My cousins sent me a tin of "Bittersweet Chocolate Shavings Infused with Peppermint Oil" and i have been stuck on it ever since. All you do is wisk 5 tbs. into 1 cup of warm milk untill the chocolate is completley disolved. The company that makes it is called Williams-Sonoma and the last time I went to see if I could buy more they discontinued it. I hope it was just discontinued for the summer time.

On a cold wintry night, a cup of ready-made Ovaltine (manactured by Wander of Switzerland), a chocolate malt flavored beverage or Milo (manufactured by Nestle) sweetened with condensed milk is what I need.

fillup said:
My cousins sent me a tin of "Bittersweet Chocolate Shavings Infused with Peppermint Oil" and i have been stuck on it ever since. All you do is wisk 5 tbs. into 1 cup of warm milk untill the chocolate is completley disolved. The company that makes it is called Williams-Sonoma and the last time I went to see if I could buy more they discontinued it. I hope it was just discontinued for the summer time.

More than likely you can get it now. They carry certain seasonal items every year.

Back
Top Bottom