ISO sheep or goat ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A big thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, experiences and recipe's so far.
@ Bethzaring (and or anyone else who might have an idea on this): I've seen the words curry and stew mentioned a couple of times along with goat meat. What cuts should I ask for for a curry or stew?

FryBoy said:
English is full of double entendres, especially if you're less than pure of heart and mind, like some of us. :angel:
For the same reason you didn't elaborate on the initial thread title, I won't elaborate on this comment of yours. :-p :angel:

CharlieD said:
The first thing that comes to mind is ShisKebab(sp) and roasted leg of lamb.

P.S. The shish kebab I'm talking about is not made of ground meat, I never seen it made from ground meat untill I came to America.

Charlie, that was the first dish that came to mind -- along with pastitsio or gyros. If you do a search on this site re lamb, there are many excellent contributions here.

Not lamb or goat related, but, one of my favorite Moroccan dishes is B'stilla - the pie is made with chicken. I tried it in a Moroccan restaurant in California, and it was heaven. If you have never tried it, and strike up a friendship with the butcher, perhaps he can give you an authentic recipe. We had several dishes and the B'stilla really made my day.

Last edited:
lulu said:
West indian -Goat curry! I haven't had it since I was a kid, but it was good. Mutton is a great meat, quite "gamey" tasting sometimes. In England the oldest I can come up with is hoggitt or year old, which is still soft enough to roast, I put some water in the pan to steam it as it roasts and help produce a soft roast meat. An older sheep I think I would think of mutton pies and stews as a first choice - if I could get it.

But if the sheep is just lamb - my goodness, its one of the loveliest meats going and there are a wealth of thinks to do with it. I love minted lamb chops with redcurrant jelly, morrocan tagines with dried fruits served with cous cous, even shepards pie - my fathers all time favourite meal and, imo, far superior to the beef version of cottage pie! In fact, I would do the shepards pie with mutton too.

I had curried goat not too long ago. It was sooooooooooooo tender and good!

Here are some goat recipes.

Hades said:
. What cuts should I ask for for a curry or stew?

I haven't the foggiest idea. Me, I would walk into your butchers', grab my hamstring, and say I wanted some stew meat cut from the equivilant part of a goat. But there must be a better way to handle this.

I breed goats for dairy character, which is about the opposite goal of raising a meat animal. We generally butcher 8 month old milk fed kids, and I'm telling you, there's not much meat on those animals. The parts with enough meat to yield cubes of meat would be the tenderloin, the leg and the shoulder. To be honest, we don't fool with the ribcage, not enough meat for the time required. We cut most of the meat off the carcass and grind most of the meat, save the tenderloin.

So I guess you could ask for cubed tenderloin or leg meat.

This meat is delicious. It can be very very lean. I brown the meat with butter or olive oil and always use lots of onion and garlic. It makes great hamburgers, chili, meatloaf, really any beef recipe can work. The cubes are excellent in any beef stew recipe, for kabobs, Korean dishes. I am not fond of curry so have no experience with that.

I hope I answered some of your questions!

Back
Top Bottom