Help with Apples and coddling moths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katehallberg

Assistant Cook
I just joined and am eagerly awaiting more time to read more and more... but right now I just want to ask about juicing apples with a Steam Extractor. in the past I've used lots of small apples, tossed them in whole and extracted lovely juice. this year I have larger apples, and many have coddling moths. because they were large, I cut them in quarters, but didnt' remove the coddling moth damage- have never done so with small apples either. this time, though, I had some juice with a musty, possibly ketone flavor- similar to what you get if you don't get your beer off the yeast and it ferments past ethanol. could it be the moth damaged areas? did I expose nasty flavors by cutting and could I just do the large apples intact?

one batch of apples weren't fully ripe either and the juice was not at all sweet- will the apples ripen as they sit in a cool environment? or should I just save those bottles until some local exceptionally sweet juice comes out, mix them and make cider with champagne yeast? If I use only the "not sweet" apples the cider would be too dry and tasteless; if I use only the very sweet stuff the alcohol content would be unbearable for me, very likely.

looking forward to reading more here.

Bienvenue, kate. You lost me at the coddling moths (and the ketone).

I'm thinking that ronjohn, our local brewmeister, will know what to tell you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom