Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
YIKES is right!.....Butter is, I believe, 60 calories/tbsp. I usually put a pat or two on top of my 2 pancake stack BEFORE I start pouring on the syrup.
I don't eat pancakes very often, but thanks to dear friend Kadesma, my husband has learned how to make fantastic French toast.

101 calories in a tablespoon of butter. Sorry. :(

mudbug said:
shamalicious, would using some maple extract and one tablespoon of Splenda help at all?

I havent tried that.. i dont think it would taste quite the same though would it?

Alix said:
We could also get technical and talk about it being easier to burn off simple sugars vs complex ones and do the whole glycemic index thing, but really Shamalicious, a couple tbsps of maple syrup a day isn't going to kill you as long as you don't overdo with everything else in your diet.

daisy said:
Well, it's not exactly good for the waist-line, but it has its good points. So for those of us who are addicted to it, and by way of pointing out that there's always an upside as well as a downside. So we can feel virtuous if you use it!!

Maple: Spring sap syrup is taken as a liver tonic, a kidney cleanser and a cough syrup. A tea of the inner bark is taken for coughs or diarrhoea and is diuretic, expectorant and a blood purifier. A compound infusion of the bark has been used as drops in treating blindness. The sap has been used for treating sore eyes. Maple syrup is used in cough syrups and is also said to be a liver tonic and kidney cleanser.

Thank you alix and daisy! If nothing else, at least i wont feel too guilty! lol :LOL: :rolleyes:

Our friends, a couple from Vancouver, are here visiting and they gave us among other things, a bottle of CAMP 100% pure maple syrup. It's from Plessisville, Canada. I can only assume this maple syrup is the good kind. (I haven't opened it yet). I don't ever make pancakes nor french toast so I'm not sure what to use it for aside from substituting it for sugar in some things...

But if the Canadians here in DC tell me this is the excellent kind of maple syrup, I'd start making pancakes just to consume this product!

If it's 100% pure, it probably is fine.

Maple surup is graded and marked on the label. Some of the grades are Grade A Fancy, Grade B Amber, Grade B Dark Amber, and others. The Grade A syrups are lighter in color and taste while the Bs are darker and richer in maple flavor. I prefer the Grade B syrups for their flavor. The grades ar flavor grades not quality grades.

Actually, I can't recall ever having pure maple syrup that wasn't delicious. Also can't imagine that friends would bring you a crappy gift!

i would bathe in maple syrup if i could.

we always pick up a bottle or three, of different grades, on our trips to ny and vermont in the fall and winter.

there's nothing better on an off day of a skiing trip than finding a little out of the way sugar shack, and tasting local artisan cheeses and syrups.

you pay the guy in back with the steamy horn-rimmed glasses...

It's not worth worrying about in my opinion--IF it is real maple syrup. If it isn't, then it isn't worth your time!!
Unless you are eating a lot of other sweets and desserts, etc.

Chopstix said:
Our friends, a couple from Vancouver, are here visiting and they gave us among other things, a bottle of CAMP 100% pure maple syrup. It's from Plessisville, Canada.

In Canada you can't SAY it is 100% pure without that actually being the case. You can be sure it is what the label says it is.

I think thats what it says on the box here Bucky...in English AND in French, shall I go find a box to check?

naw, that's ok alix.

hey, they should make a soap, "canada spring", like irish spring.

it would smell of maple syrup.

Thanks guys! It says MEDIUM on the label. No grade. Come to think of it, I've probably never had real maple syrup, just the maple syrup at pancake restaurants, which most likely can't compare with the real thing, huh. NOW I'm excited to taste real maple syrup. Let me go look for Goodweed's pancake recipe first....!:chef:

I made Goodweed's pancakes for the first time today. Topped it with French butter (salted) and Camp's 100% maple syrup. It was sooooo gooooooood (Thanks Goodweed). The maple syrup was very flavorful, far better than any maple syrup I've ever had. You're right Alix!

GW's pancakes are good.

Once you've had real maple syrup. you won't want the fake stuff again.

Using the Splenda/extract version will give you flavor for cooking. But it won't give you the same rich flavor as the real thing. Also, you can't make it work as a syrup. The texture will be like water.

Also, the extract, even if pure maple, isn't quite the same flavor as maple syrup or maple sugar.

Did you know that you have to boil down (concentrate) 40 gallons of sap fro every gallon of syrup? I live in maple country and know a bit about tapping trees. When you make it, you really begin to appreciate the work involved and why this stuff is such a treat.

And Chopstix, that's what cooking is all about, sharing good things with others. And you are very welcome.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Once you've had real maple syrup. you won't want the fake stuff again.

You're right about that Andy!

It was so rich in maple flavor yet with a delicate aroma. The fake stuff I have has an overpowering maple smell and little maple flavor, just sweet.

Back
Top Bottom