Searching for the Fine Crumb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms fiidorumper

Assistant Cook
:chef: I am recently retired form the work force. I have a dietetics degree from OSU. I have never worked a a dietetician, rather have worked in the dental field for 30 years. I live in Columbus with my husband, have 3 children and 7 grandchildren, all of whom I love to bake for,when I am not being a soccer grandma. My main interest is baking breads. I also enjoy gardening, and craft woodworking.
I entertain quite often and find it a challenge to come up with new recipes for desserts and breads for my guests. Recently I have been testing various bread flours and using wheat gluten to rying to achieve a soft consistency in plain white or Italian bread.

That is interesting because I do not associate "fine crumb" with homemade bread, and especially in Italian bread. Probably the addition of shortening might make for a finer texture. Wheat gluten will increase the amount of air the dough will hold so will negate a fine crumb. Bread flours already contain vital gluten--higher protein. Try semolina flour.

ms fiidorumper said:
:chef: ... Recently I have been testing various bread flours and using wheat gluten to rying to achieve a soft consistency in plain white or Italian bread.
Welcome aboard. I'd be interesting in hearing about the results of your testing.

Greetings Ms. Fliidorumper - welcome to DC - I am sure you will like our great cooking site and find all the receipes by our wonderful cooks and chefs delightful.

Jill and Jolie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom