TNT: Pineapple meatloaf with sweet and sour sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
This weekend we picked up a fresh pineapple, it was so ripe that it required immediate consuming/cooking. I would have been happy to just cut it up and gobble, but Cris was in his creative mode and wanted to do something interesting with it. After some brain storming, we came up with this one and a "pina colada puff pastry pie" for a dessert. Both of them came out soooo good, I had to share:-p

Pressure cooker is my favourite vessel to cook our meatloafs, as the result is much more moist and tender, plus, the bottom part is another wonderful playground for creative sauces. On this one, I just discovered by chance a wonderful recipe for a "sweet and sour" sauce, which I have been wondering how I could make a good one, we just concocted this mixture and realised we just made a perfect sweet and sour sauce!!

This is exactly the same method I use for regular meatloaves as well, so I am sure for those of you who doesn't have, or don't feel comfortable with a pressure cooker you can follow the regular baking procedure, putting the sauce ingredients around the meatloaf and basting from time to time.

650g(1,5lb) lean pork mince
180g(6oz) pineapple, finely chopped
150g(5oz) breadcrumbs, + extra for dusting the exterior
1 egg
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1tsp. ground ginger
1tsp. nutmeg
dash of pepper
For sauce
1cup white wine
1/2 cup passata (tomato puree)
300g pineapple, finely chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
2 scallions
1tbsp brown sugar
dash of indonesian soy sauce (milder than that of japanese) or teryaki sauce

squeeze out the excess juice from the pineapple chunks, add it to the sauce ingredients. (this may not be necessary if the pineapple is not so ripe)
Mix the meatloaf ingredients well, and form a loaf.
Dust the surface thinly with more bread crumbs.
At the bottom of the pressure cooker place the ingredients for sauce.
Place in the basket of a pressure cooker.
Close the cooker and cook for 30 minutes.
Desteam and open the cooker, remove the basket with the meatloaf, and continue to cook the sauce for additional few minutes to thicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom