Fan assisted gas oven advantage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obelix

Assistant Cook
We're just about the upgrade our old gas range/oven and got stumped on what type of gas range to purchase.

We love to cook and regularly bake cakes and pastries. Due to the high cost of electricity as compared with gas (LPG), we've decided on purchasing a gas range/oven. Currently, there are two types of gas oven available here, fan-asissted and the conventional oven. Since the fan-asissted oven is approximately 10% to 12% more expensive than the conventional oven, we we're wondering if the advantages of a fan-asisted gas oven is worth that price difference?

any thoughts?

I'm not clear on what you mean by "fan-assisted!" Gas convection ovens have fans, just like electric convection ovens do. I've never used a gas convection oven. My jennAir ProStyle is a dual-fuel range, meaning the cooktop is gas and the oven is electric. As well, any convections I've ever used in restaurants were also electric.

I think a fan asissted gas oven is similar to a convection oven? the gas burners are situated below while the fan is at the back wall of the oven, does that make it a gas convection oven? if so, does a gas convection oven pose a significant improvement over a conventional gas oven?

We used a free standing commercial gas convection oven at the restaurant, which was later replaced with a similar sized electric one. Functionally, they seemed fairly much the same. The gas unit, I think, came up to temp a bit faster from stone cold; it was somewhat noisier, which I doubt had to do with the fuel; the electric oven was more flexible for position and venting, which is why the owners changed. If you bake a lot, you will probably break even, money-wise, in the end. Baking times are significantly reduced, as are hot and cold spots, minimizing the cool down you get by opening the oven for frequent rotation.

Yes, all other things being equal, the gas convection oven will bake faster than the conventional gas oven.

I'm thinking that temp throughout the inside the oven would be more even translating to a reduction of the need of rotating of the cake being baked?

I have heard that gas ovens are notorious for uneven heat which is most important in baking so I would think that convection AKA fan assisted would be best for a gas oven. Yes, it cooks faster but there are recipes that work that out.

The convection feature is most effective with baking cokies and such and less effective with roasts and such.

Andy M. said:
The convection feature is most effective with baking cokies and such and less effective with roasts and such.
Interesting you should say that, Andy. That's what I expected when I got my JennAir, but the truth is that my roasts are cooked to perfection in one-third less time than if I didn't turn the convection feature on. My 23-pound Thanksgiving turkey was done in UNDER 4 hours! I was astonished! Burnished bronze and juicy! :) :) :) and that was not the only example.

That's interesting. Any comments on covection I've read up to this point say the opposite. Maybe the Jennaire is different!

Hi, I am also unsure wether to get a gas fan oven or not. Stoves sell a gas fan oven (700GR) or a conventional gas oven (700GDO) I am used to cooking with a conventional gas oven and don't really bake cakes. Any more opinions or comments greatfully recieved on general use.
thanks.

Hmmm. wonder if I got something wrong?

We have a gas top and electric oven (Smeg, 90 cm). The oven has a variety of settings with fan and without, so that makes it convection, right?

Anyhow, I understood that I need the fan when the full-size pans or trays* are used to allow the hot air to circulate evenly (and, presumably, when I have loaded a full rack) but that otherwise it's not necessary.

If there was another purpose, I didn't know of it!

(I think this is a normal European thing: ovens come equipped with racks, of course, but also full-size cooking pans and shallow ("cookie") trays which extend from side to side inside the oven, using the same slides that the racks use.)

I have a gas oven and on top of it is a there is a medal piece that goes the length of the oven. There are 2 switches - one for a light and the other for a fan. The fan part that collects the dirt can be taken out and cleaned. I usually wash it.

I use it whenever I am cooking to get rid of the smoke.

Andy M. said:

I heard that it makes beautifully-browned chickens and roasts as well.

But yes, it has become a favorite for professional chefs and cooks in the baking field.

~Corey123.

Well, just got a new range (jenn air ,dual fual, double oven) and tried the convection baking with roasts , and it IS wonderful!

Oh, it is electric though, sorry, you wanted to know about gas convection oven.Don't know the difference.

Both gas AND electric fan-assisted (convection) ovens pretty much work the same. It's just a matter of personal preference - which one that you prefer the most.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom