A stupid question about my percolator coffee pot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
This sounds dumb, but it really aggravates me. Most of the time, coffee gets trapped in the top of the percolator. You know there is this little bucket w/ holes that sits at the top of the pot where you put the coffee grounds in. Much of the time, coffee gets trapped by the coffee grounds and stays in this little pot above the main section of the pot. I guess the grounds clog up the holes in the little pot and trap the coffee.

It's aggravating because it makes it harder to clean the wet grounds, and not all the coffee comes out of the pot when you pour.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Coffee needs to be ground for the type of coffee maker. Sounds like your coffee is not ground right. Probably too fine. Fine is ok for drip coffee makers, but not so good for percolators.

BTW, I love percolated coffee. NOT the McDonald's kind, but the kind you get at small diners and funeral homes.

But it's the regular perclator stuff I buy in the store. That should be the right kind, right? You sure it's not the lack of filter?

Well, I'm not at a loss. I don't know what else to tell you. It could be the kind you bought was also suitable for drip coffee makers and still too fine?

I'm not too sure a filter would work. The filter may slow down the water enough to overwhelm the basket and you may end up with grounds in the coffee.

the filter seems to make it work better. Using moderate amount of water as well so probably that is keeping it from overflowing the upper part. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom