Catering for vegetarians.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James21

Assistant Cook
I have just got into the catering scene and have just got my first job after spending loads of money on url removed as it was advertising for small businesses well it turns out most of the people i will be catering for are vegetarian as i don't know many vegetarians i am a bit stuck at what to make i am okay on the non vegetarian side but does anyone have any good adeas at what i can make for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi James, welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy this board as much as we do.

Am not a caterer and not a vegetarian, so take this for what it is worth.

Do know some vegetarians and they do vary in what they will eat.

Some will eat milk products, which will let you cook with cheese and make milk based sauces, and eggs.

Others will shun such items (the more vegan types).

Would suggest you carefully interview the person who hires you to get an idea of the limitations/ requirements.

Good luck on your venture and once again welcome.

Thanks for the info auntdot i will definetally go and speak to him today i know about vegans i am slightly worried about there being many of them but i am sure i can get the info i need. Thanks Again

I have two menued vegetarian or vegan items on my menus, daily. Just do a google search with the words 'vegetarian recipes' and a plethora of sites will be available to you. Check out your local bookstore's cooking section, as well.

There are soy protein products that have the textue of chicken and beef that are easily adapted to conventional recipes.

Cooking with rices and other grains is an easy way to accomodate the dietary requirements.

Don't go crazy with pasta. In my experience, many people who follow a vegetarian diet don't appreciate pasta twice a day. I try not to rely too heavily on pasta as the vegetarian cure-all recipe.

Good luck with the business.

That was realy helpful VeraBlue thanks i have found some helpful info that should come in handy.

THere are many Asian and Indian recipes that are vegetarian (more than half of India for example is vegetarian) Wonderful curries with chicpeas or lentils. But there are also great American items too, like a vegetarian pot pie, or roasted mix of root vegetables

If cheese eggs milk etc can be included, there are many quiche type items. (as soon as spinach is safe again.)

Oh, dear, I sympathize. As already mentioned, there are many variations on "vegetarian". Learn who you are dealing with. A true vegan will not eat things like worchestershire sauce (has anchovies), and just fyi, also will not eat honey, wear wool or leather. So you need to know who you are dealing with. There's a big difference between different sorts of vegetarians, and us omnivores need to be informed if we are to fix meals that please evreyone.

Almost every cuisine has vegetarian food. You may want to first break it up based on Vegan or Non-Vegan and then create a simple menu. Offer 4-6 appetizers (American, Italian, Indian, Chinese,Greek, Mexican etc). Repeat the same for main dishes)

Example of Items:

Appetizers

Vegetarian potstickers
Vegetarian eggrolls
Pakoras (Indian Inspired Spiced Fritters)
Bruschetta
Olive Tappanade and assorted breads
Phyllo Traingles with Spinach and Feta (not for vegans but good for non-vegans)

Main Courses

Vegetarian Chop Suey (Make a gravy with tomato sauce, chilli, garlic, vinegar soy and sugar). Stir fry veggies of your sauce in a wok, add this sauce to it
and cook until it's all nice and thick. Pour over crunchy noodles, garnish with chopped scallions and serve. It's delicious

Gobi Aloo - Spiced cauliflower and potatoes cooked with Indian spices. Garnish with cilantro and serve with Naan

Any vegetarian pasta or grilled portabellas marinated with garlic, basil and other aromatics.

Black Beans and roasted jalapenos burritos topped with guacamole and fresh tomato salsa.

The possibilities are endless.

BTW: All my forum friends I am in India right now after a long 13 years and although I love the tantalizing smells of food that the hawkers here sell I have been pretty sick to try anything. I got sick right after I eat out in a restaurant, I am hoping I recover and can try some things before I head back to the US :)

I agree that Indian is a good way to go. DH and I are most definitely not vegetarian but we do eat meals than turn out to be Vegetarian a lot, because good meat is expensive.

But then so could Italian be (think of amazing vegetable antipasti of artichokes, tomatoes, olives, and for non vegans: cheeses) and pasta with one of a plethora of tomato based vegetarian sauces, and, again, if they are not vegan, a panna cotta pudding. Or poached pears.

We don't feel deprived when we happen not to eat meat, but I rarely think of the meqals we eat as being "vegetarian" they just happen not to need meat/fish etc

Good luck, I'll be interested to know what you go with

I once had to bring a dish to a potluck put on by a vegan friend. Indian in particular and Asian in general food takes well to vegetarian. But you do have to remember that ghee is a nono for vegans (use olive oil). At that particular party, I brought hummus and baba ganoush. They were the hit of the party, as other omnivores didn't really know what to do and brought very bland food. Garlic Rules!! Recently I brought something to a neighbor's house and didn't realize her daughter was a vegan. I confessed to having put Worcestershire sauce in a dip I made. Ironically, I was the person who told her a few years ago that it was a nono for vegans ... she didn't know it!

Back
Top Bottom