Pumpkin recipes and tips wanted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make a Pumpkin Fudge that is pretty popular around the Holidays.. Another favorite is a Pumpkin Cream Cheese dip, perfect for dipping Gingersnaps!

-Brad

I love pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin cake roll filled with a cream cheese mixture.

This is TNT wonderful

courtesy of mish:

Pumpkin Flan with Brown Sugar Crust

1/2 cup brown sugar
5 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Dash of salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Sprinkle the bottom of 8 half-cup ramekins or other single-serving size baking dishes with half of the brown sugar.

In a mixer, beat the eggs. Add pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the milk, cream and vanilla extract.

Pour mixture into baking dishes. Set baking dishes into a large baking pan. Fill the pan with water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the flan dishes. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven.

Remove flans from water or they will continue to cook. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. You can prepare the flan up to this point ahead of time, even the day before. Refrigerate.

Heat oven to broil. Sprinkle the flans with the remaining brown sugar and pop under broiler for a couple of minutes or until nicely browned. Serves 8.

Here are a couple of really tasty sounding pumpkin breads
that Filus posted years ago:

PUMPKIN CRANBERRY BREAD
Yield: 2 loaves

3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
1-1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
3-1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin and orange peel; mix well (mixture will appear curdled).
Combine the next 5 ingredients; add to pumpkin mixture, beating on low speed just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350º for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.

DELICIOUS PUMPKIN BREAD

5 eggs
1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 pkgs.(3 oz. each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil and pumpkin; beat until smooth.
Combine remaining ingredients; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.

Pour batter into 5 greased 5x2-1/2x2 inch loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Bread may also be baked in 2 greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans for 75-80 minutes.

Pumpkin Soup (My sons favorite)

Sautee an onion in about 1/2 stick of butter until soft, add 2 big tablespoons of flour and cook about 1 minute. Wisk in 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of milk. Heat until thickened and then add 1 can of pumpkin, or 1 1/2 cups fresh cooked and pureed pumpkin. Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

I've made this with canned and fresh. It's better with fresh, but more trouble.

meltingpotmama said:
Do any of you have any pumpkin recipes beside just pies?:chef:

Hi Meltingpot! Welcome to DC!!

I have a recipe for a pumpkin beer, but that's probably not what you were looking for, huh? :ROFLMAO: (I'm sure this comes as no surprise to the rest of the DC'ers!)

Everything else is pretty much pie type recipes.

John

Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Sage Butter is delicious!

I love Pumpkin Soup too and my recipe goes like this:

Fry some finely chopped white onions in butter until soft. Add curry powder/paste to taste and cook for 2 minutes or fragrant. Throw in lots of roughly chopped peeled pumpkin, cover with a good stock ( chicken, beef or vegetable) and simmer until pumpkin is very soft. Puree with stick blender or in batches in the processor. Return to pot and add as much coconut milk as you think you need!! Reheat soup but do not boil. Serve with a drizzle of coconut cream/milk on top and a scattering of chopped cilantro. Goes well with Indian flatbread like naan.

It is imperative that the pumpkin used for soup is very tasty so I always cut a piece off the pumpkin and microwave then taste it to make sure it is fine. Your soup will only ever be as good as the pumpkin tasted! :chef:

Great recipe for ravs, Mark - thanks!!:chef:
chef.gif

well, is it a pie? umm, yes, but...

pumpkin quiche can be quite nice.

mashed pumpkin with 3 or 4 eggs, cream (milk, sourcream, yoghurt?) & salt and pepper.
maybe with a layer of browned, sliced onions on the bottom and topped with thick slices of slab bacon and dollops of boursin (sp?) cheese.
icon12.gif

Pumpkin Soup!

meltingpotmama said:
Do any of you have any pumpkin recipes beside just pies?:chef:

Pumpkin Soup is pretty darned good. You can use canned pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff, just plain pumpkin) or you can de-seed and clean a regular pumpkin (sugar pumpkins, small & compact, not the large jack-o-lantern type). Using fresh pumpkin, peel it (a challenge!) cube it and boil the pieces about 20 minutes until tender. Drain and let cool. Otherwise, use 2 cans of plain pumpkin. Add the cubed pumpkin to 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock or broth, adding water as needed. Season with salt, generously. At this point I also add a dash of freshly grated nutmeg and about 1/2 tsp. ginger powder and cayenne pepper to taste. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes to allow the flavours to mesh. Use a stick blender to puree the soup or puree it in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth. For fun you can top this with toasted pumpkin seeds. Serves 8

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom