New 8qt stock pot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
I just got a new Tramontina 8 qt pot today. It has the pasta insert and the steamer basket plus a clear lid. Only $35! I'm ready for chili and soup now!:chef:

That's great. Does it have a disk on the bottom and a glass lid? I bought a 12-quart one a couple of years ago and it's great.

What are you planning to cook to christen it?

Check Amazon.com for 12 qt. stockpot. There is a Calphalon for about $35 I think. At least on Friday--and it usually comes back down on the Friday Sale.
I have an 8qt. with my knoockoff Calphalon set bought at Sam's (Members Mark) and without any doubt it is my favorite pan. I'll bet it hasn't ever even been in the cupboard in the 6 or more years I have had it.

Andy M. said:
That's great. Does it have a disk on the bottom and a glass lid? I bought a 12-quart one a couple of years ago and it's great.

What are you planning to cook to christen it?

What do you mean a disk on the bottom?

I will probably make chili, or navy bean soup. There's a large ham bone in the freezer I've been saving for bean soup.

My stock pot is made with a single layer of stainless steel. The bottom has a thick disk of SS with aluminum enclosed within for even heat distribution. This is common construction for a lot of popular brands of SS cookware and is a less expensive option to the tri-ply construction found in All-Clad and others.

Chili and navy bean soup ae two of my favorites!

I addition to my Emerilware 8-qt. SS stock pot with a pasta insert, I also own the Rachel Ray 8-qt. oval-shaped hard anodized stock pot with SS cover.

It can be used to boil pasta, which is what I used it for yesterday. When the spaghetti was done, I put the lid on it, poured off the water through the pouring spout and hardly any spaghetti came out of it!!

I also have the matching Rachel Ray 5-qt hard anodized Oval-shaped Saute with a tempered glass cover.

Both pots are made by Anolon through a collaberation with Rachel Ray.

~Corey123.

vagriller said:
I just got a new Tramontina 8 qt pot today. It has the pasta insert and the steamer basket plus a clear lid. Only $35! I'm ready for chili and soup now!:chef:
WOW! I'm impressed. I'm curious where you got yours for that price? I just checked out the Tramontina web site, and they are quoting $125 for the 8-quart tri-ply withOUT the inserts! :ohmy:

ChefJune said:
WOW! I'm impressed. I'm curious where you got yours for that price? I just checked out the Tramontina web site, and they are quoting $125 for the 8-quart tri-ply withOUT the inserts! :ohmy:

Walmart. Ssshhh, don't tell anyone.:LOL:

kitchenelf said:
You guys better stop talking about SS - I have a VERY bad itch to buy a set!!!!
Scratch that itch Kitchenelf! Well at least scratch it a little. get yourself one nice piece. You will be so happy you did.

Yeah, I just realized this is my first SS piece. This should give me an idea of whether I should get a SS skillet or other SS pans. Cool!

I think I have my "stock" of stock pots. I have two Revere Ware ones I've had for nearly 30 years. One is a 12-quart. The other is a 20-quart one. I like them both equally, but my favorite pot for making soups, stews, etc. is either my 7-quart or 10-quart oval Le Creuset Dutch oven. I opted for the oval shape so I could put things like a large ham, beef roast or whole chicken to roast, etc.

I use the Le Creuset pieces all the time and they are perfect for split pea soup, which is one of our favorites.

As for purchasing cookware, I've never been in favor of buying sets. I think is makes more sense to buy the pans you will use most often. Instead of spending a lot of money on a set of pans that might include some pieces you will never use, you might want to spend the same amount of money on a couple of really, really good pans. Just my humble opinion. However, It's also my humble opinion that we can never have enough kitchen "toys."

Katie E said:
As for purchasing cookware, I've never been in favor of buying sets. I think is makes more sense to buy the pans you will use most often. Instead of spending a lot of money on a set of pans that might include some pieces you will never use, you might want to spend the same amount of money on a couple of really, really good pans.

I think that's good advice. Right next to the 8 qt set I got was a 3 piece set (8,10,& 12 qt) for $20. I figured for $20 it couldn't be very good, plus I wanted the pasta insert and steamer basket. Better to have one good pot than 3 crappy ones.

I also have a 12 and a 20-quart stock pot, but was wanting the 8 with the pasta insert... This one looks like a good enough deal to go ahead and get the 10 instead.

ChefJune said:
I also have a 12 and a 20-quart stock pot, but was wanting the 8 with the pasta insert... This one looks like a good enough deal to go ahead and get the 10 instead.

Well, guess I'll have to get cooking and post a review then, eh?:chef:

Back
Top Bottom