ISO Cracker cake for dad's bday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksushka

Assistant Cook
Hello! Its my father's birthday tomorrow, and I want to do something special for him. He always talks about his mother's cracker cake being his favorite, and I'd like to make it for him for his birthday. I know what goes in it, but I don't know all the quantities, and the method.

Ok, the ingredients are
unsalted crackers
1 pound of butter
8 egg yolks
sugar. (how much, i dont know)

I think that's it.

It's supposed to be layered. (one layer crackers, mixture, crackers, mixture...and so on.)

I'm guessing i have to do something along the lines of creme brule with the yolks and sugar.

Any ways, if any one could maybe try and help me out here, i'd really appreciate it. I was thinking something along the lines of whipping the yolks and 1 cup of sugar, then slowly heating until thick. (cold water bath) Then Beating the butter until it's creamy and whipped, and then folding it into the yolks. But I dont know if that's going to work out. And maybe I should put some vanilla extract? I dont know... But it has to sit over night to soften the crackers.

any one?:wacko:

I tried to google this and all I came up with was a graham cracker cake.

Anyone???? Can you help ksushka - even just a little bit?????

Hopefully someone will stop by! Be sure and check back.

I just found out that the egg/butter mixture is supposed to be bavarian cream... so now I am on the search for a recipe.

Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it! :)

Kitchenelf ~ I like your recipe for the graham cracker cake. I'm going to give it a try. Have you tried it? Do you think it would work in a 13"X9"X2" pan? Sounds like it would be good with any type of frosting or just a dusting of powdered sugar!!

I have not made it - I just did a quick search to see if I could provide an answer. It does look good though doesn't it???? I would imagine you can adjust the cooking time and make it in the pan you mentioned. I'm not a baker. If you need to know how to adjust the time start a new thread with that question in it and a link to the recipe in question. :chef:

Thanks, Kitchenelf, for your help. I think I'll wing it and give it a try in the 13"X9"X2" pan. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom