Ramadhan/Ramadan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
For those who dont know, Ramadhan is a month for muslims, when we have to fast from dusk to dawn. Today is the third day going. Usually people get up early just before the sun comes out, to have as big a meal as possible to help them through the day. Its a month where muslims try to be more patient, more kind, and spend more time praying, and enjoying each other.

Its a beautiful time of year, its my favourite time of year, I love getting up so early in the morning, and eating around the table, and at night when we eat together. Very special time for muslims. Any otehr muslims on the board? Whatcha's eat ? We try to eat some proper proper food that will keep us going but its usually so hard to eat so early in the morning, this morning i had roti with a tuna curry. Anyone have ideas for food that can help keep me going?

Today the fast isnt 'finished' until around 7ish. I havent ate since 4 in the morning. I am feeling absolutely ravished already! and half the day hasnt even passed yet! :( How does one who love food so much live without it, lol.

I just needed to vent! Thanks to all who stayed to listen! lol

I wish all muslims a very Happy Ramadhan! :) May Allah give us the strength to endure these hours! :)

Last week the Indonesian wife of my husband's colleague and I agreed to meet tomorrow for lunch. She called me yesterday to beg off after remembering it was Ramadan. We've postponed it to the next month. Both husband and wife are devout Muslims. The wife grew up in Hawaii. Last January they both made the pilgrimage to Mecca for the first time. A very nice couple. Happy Ramadan!

That's a tough one for sure!!!!!! I take it you don't have any blood sugar problems - what would happen then? You would have to eat a pretty big mean with some hefty stick-to-your-ribs foods! Happy Ramadan!

If you really have blood sugar problems, like diabetes, or other medical conditions that make it unsafe to fast, then you don't have to. One of my friends is diabetic and she pays someone in a poor country to fast for her. Ordinarily that person wouldn't be able to fast because they wouldn't be able to afford good quality food for the early and late meal. So it works both ways, my friend gets the fasting benefit by having a "proxy" and theperson fasting for her gets money so that the fast is safe.

If your pregnant or nursing you don't fast either, and you do it later!

I love Eid, the celebration after Ramadan. I am not sure how, but I have always managed to accumulate alot of Muslim friends and colleagues, and I often manage to get invited to some fabulous parties!

We just got back from Turkey yesterday and they have some of the most beautiful mosques in the world----our seedy hotel(not one I would recommend to anyone) at least had a breathtaking view of the Blue Mosque and across all of Instanbul the mosques in the city were strung with lights that said "Happy Ramadar"--absolutely gorgeous!! Happy Ramadan!!!

kyles said:
... One of my friends is diabetic and she pays someone in a poor country to fast for her. Ordinarily that person wouldn't be able to fast because they wouldn't be able to afford good quality food for the early and late meal. So it works both ways, my friend gets the fasting benefit by having a "proxy" and theperson fasting for her gets money so that the fast is safe...

That's a priceless little cultural tidbit!!

I've been around folks celebrating Ramadan for ages. For non-muslims doing business with muslims in this part of the world, it usually it just means you can't get business done as usual ... as I'm sure our Christmas and Easter periods mean for them, mind you.

I remember working at an all-Lebanese company during Ramadan. "Grumpy" best describes those hungry bosses ... whenever they hadn't locked themselves in their offices to sleep it off!

Happy Eid.

I was in Jakarta, Indonesia a few years ago during Ramadan. At the mall, I remember seeing KFC and similar fastfood outlets open for business but blinds were drawn covering all the glass walls/windows so one can't see who's eating inside. (I'm not sure who went in though, whether tourists or locals.)

What an interesting line. Religious, cultural, and historical traditions when it comes to food fascinate me.

Kylie is right about fasting limited to those that are healthy. This year I only fast during the weekends and that too if I can make it. My blood iron is extremely low (almost non-existent) and I am on supplements and have to get my blood tested every week. I would be doing a disservice to my body, kids and family if I collapsed somewhere.

Here are the traditional foods that we eat when we break our fast

Fruits
Milk - Any kind of milkshake. The falooda being a treat that we absolutely love. It's milk that is layered with sweet rose syrup, jello cubes and basil seeds and vermicilli and topped with a dollop of icecream. Not sure if anyone on this forum has even heard about it. This is one of the must trys on my list of Indian drinks. You need the ingredients but if anyone is daring enough I can post the detail recipe.
Savories - Samosas mostly made with ground beef or lamb, kababs, or other forms of protein

People also tend to have large breakfasts (before sunrises and the fast goes into affect) - eggs, cooked spicy ground lamb, beef or chicken (similar to sausage concept) and tea or coffee.

The bigger food celebration is Eid that follows the fasting month. We offer morning prayers and then go visit friends and family and eat traditonal foods. For Indians and Pakistanis that means the following:

Shir Kurma - It's made with evaporated milk which is seasoned with sugar, saffron, cardamom and has all sorts of nuts in it (pistachio's, almonds, raisins, cashews) and also has sort of super super fine vermicilli (made specifically for this) and is served slightly warm. It is really delish.

Biryani - A super rich rice dish (Muslim speciality in India). It's layers of Rice and lamb (cooked with spices) layered with aromatic herbs, yogurt and fried onions. There is a healthy sprinkle of saffron in each layer and it's sealed and cooked slowly for a couple of hours. It is time consuming but extremely good. I'ts like the Paella of India.

Yesterday was the end of Ramadan. I met some Muslim women from Indonesia last week who were expecting to have lost 1 to 2 pounds... :) I learned from them that Ramadan is also a time for refraining from anger...

Happy Eid to those of you concerned!

Back
Top Bottom