What did I get myself into?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the realtor who hired me several times in the past to bake custom cut-out cookie baskets for her clients. I haven't done any work since Sofie was born and was surprised to hear from her. Thing is, she wanted to place a large order for first thing tomorrow morning. DH is working late every night, Sofie is still having trouble sleeping (little naps, up every couple hours at night), so what did I do? I said yes!:wacko: I figured I couldn't say no if I wanted to start growing this little business someday. So even though I didn't start mixing dough and baking 'till well after 10 last night, it felt GREAT to be baking again!:chef: I'm just a little bleary today! I'm hoping DH is early tonight so I can start mixing all the icing colors and decorating a little earlier.

Feels strange to do something so non-Mommy!:LOL: :)

Wonderful! Sophie might have a mom that's tired for a bit but she'll do fine and you'll be a happier mom because you are doing what you love (besides taking care of her). :)

I am sure you are tired all the time anyway so you might as well be building your business at the same time :LOL:

Seriously though, that is great! I am really happy for you!

Way to go, PA!:) Yikes, that's short notice, but sure you will 'rise' to the occasion. Can you attach/adhere your card to the baskets (maybe on the bottom)? The free ad/pub might help, if you're contemplating your own biz. Your hook-up with a realtor, is a great way to go with new homeowners, who would appreciate/welcome your skills/services. Show us pics, when you can.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the new Mrs, Fields, PA Baker!

I'll be looking for your store in the mall.

That must have been tonz of excitement and fun for you, even though it may have got you a bit pooped! It is always nice to find a chance to do something you always enjoyed but haven't had the time for it for a while... hey may be not in the long distant future, it will become all the more fun with the little Sofie being your assistant!:)

That's great PA! I know it feels strange to do something all your own, it happens to me too. I'm actually going to a class tonight. I did it last week too and stayed out late so dh could try to put the kids to sleep. I went and got some ice cream. Something I've noticed is that no one smiles at me when I don't have the kids. I smile at them but I get no returns. I am sure you will do an incredible job with this. Throw Sofie in the sling and she can get covered in flour. Post some photos if you have a chance! You're a great mom!

It took on a big job, but, as long as you feel good about it and it makes you happy, good for you!!! Have lots of fun!!

Thanks everyone! I was so worried last night that mixing and rolling the dough would be a disaster since it'd been so long but it all came right back to me. Like riding a bike I guess!

Mish, thanks for reminding me about the cards--I did that last time and had forgotten!

Licia--I can't wait for Sof to be my assistant!:)

GB, you're so right--when aren't I tired!:ROFLMAO:

sounds like a welcome distraction, pab. even though it is tiring, and extra work, i hope you, mr. baker and sof get to enjoy a little of your labor.

umm, maybe labor isn't exactly the right term. :rolleyes:

have fun and good luck!

How great to be appreciated like that, this could be the start of something big. Sofie will love helping when she is bigger, my girls love cooking with me especially something fun like cookies. Have a nap everytime Sofie does today to try and catch up. Sometimes I put Riley in my bed and climb in with him and we sleep for a couple of hours during the day, he seems to like snuggling in with mummy and sleeps better.

I am sure you are tired a great deal of the time with your daughter but I am glad you decided to make the baskets for your realtor. As you said this could be the start of a good business.

Good luck.

That's great PA!
Have fun and
post some photos of the beautiful art you create.

Pa,
congratulations, your reputaion has survived the birth of a daughter:) It's time for miss Sofie to see just what a great mom she has...Example:ROFLMAO: Yesterday Cade just turned 6, got to spend some time with me just the two of us. First thing he asked, can we please make cookie like we use to? Okay, I'm thinking of the work and the mess, right? He pulls out a chair and say's sit Ma!!!! He then went to the pantry, got the flour, sugar, baking soda, vanilla and brown sugar, lined them up, got the eggs, got measuring spoons and cups then asked me to reach high and get the big mixing bowl..He procedded to ask how to turn on the oven and then got out the cookie sheets, he measured everything with some spills yes and one egg disaster, but he made those cookie!!! So put Miss Sofie in a high chair, give her a wooden spoon and let her help you:) Get most of it done ahead so she doesn't have to be cooped up long and that bright little girl of yours will be as happy as a clam. Oh and by the way so will you just having her watching and happy.
kadesma:)

PA Baker said:
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the realtor who hired me several times in the past to bake custom cut-out cookie baskets for her clients. I haven't done any work since Sofie was born and was surprised to hear from her. Thing is, she wanted to place a large order for first thing tomorrow morning. DH is working late every night, Sofie is still having trouble sleeping (little naps, up every couple hours at night), so what did I do? I said yes!:wacko: I figured I couldn't say no if I wanted to start growing this little business someday. So even though I didn't start mixing dough and baking 'till well after 10 last night, it felt GREAT to be baking again!:chef: I'm just a little bleary today! I'm hoping DH is early tonight so I can start mixing all the icing colors and decorating a little earlier.

Feels strange to do something so non-Mommy!:LOL: :)

We all are so proud of you in all you do, I know you are a great Mom, Wife and Baker. Let me know when you have recharged, I might want to put in a order of my own ! :cool:

...........ok, since no one else said it - make sure you have a little "heart-to-heart" with the realtor and explain to her that since you have a child more notice would be VERY much appreciated (chances are she probably knew she needed them but due to her busy schedule waited til the last minute). BUT assure her that any and all last-minute orders are welcome! If you don't somehow voice that now it will be harder to voice in the future.

Now, apparently it felt wonderful to get back to baking!!!!!!!! That is good PA. I admire anyone who can bake - and you have double admiration from me starting the whole thing that late!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

Awww, thanks everyone for your encouragement!

My wonderful mom came over for a couple hours yesterday afternoon to play with Sofie so I could get a head start on mixing colors and decorating. After about an hour I took a break and when I got down on the floor with Sofie she threw her arms around my neck! My heart couldn't have gotten bigger!:)

My wonderful mom also played with Sof so hard that she fell asleep at 8 and didn't wake again 'till 12!!! Mom better come over more often!:ROFLMAO: So cookies are finished and drying.

Elf, I did make a comment about last minute, and they were apologetic up front. I wasn't going to push it too hard because I did up my price by $8 and they didn't flinch. Costs have gone up since last summer so I didn't feel too badly about that.

Kads, I bet those were the best tasting cookies in the world! Happy birthday to your guy!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom