School assignment help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmac

Head Chef
My oldest daughter (nearly 15) has a food tech. assignment which she has to plan 4 savoury and 4 sweet finger food recipes for a group which includes a person with nut allergies, a muslim and a person who is lactose intolerant (they are allowed trace amounts) all 3 must be able to eat all the foods! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
PS I am not doing the assignement for her, just relaying her message:)

grilled asparagus with lemon aioli dip
sesame chicken with soy sauce
shrimp cocktail
sweet & sour meatballs

lemon tarts
chocolate chip cookie
raspberry in puff pastry cup
pineapple coconut kabob

What did the teacher offer in terms of where they find this information? Did she/he offer any resources? I can understand nut allergies and milk, but I have no idea what muslims do or do not eat.

Muslims are no pork for sure. I think their dietary requirements are very similar to Jewish ones.

amber said:
What did the teacher offer in terms of where they find this information? Did she/he offer any resources? I can understand nut allergies and milk, but I have no idea what muslims do or do not eat.

Muslims are no pork.

Couscous with various vegetables
Lamb and rice ( I think lamb is acceptable?)
Lobster
Sea scallops with pickled watermelon rind

Grilled fruit
Lemon sherbet
Baked apples
Italian ice

Baked, salt crusted fingerling potatoes
tomato and basil crustini
coconut, curried fried shrimp
grilled pesto flatbreads

Sorbet
Sorbet
Sorbet
Sorbet?

Humm .. that is kind of a strange mix ......

Eleminate any nut or dairy products - that takes care of two problems. That basically leaves you with looking for Halal recipes (the Muslim version of Jewish Kosher - which is not the same) that do not include dairy or nuts.

halal represents the way in which an animal is slaughtered(in the name of "god"/Alah").There are more technicalities in a kosher kitchen. There are pleny of dishes that can meet both needs, it is just a matter of "P.C." preperation and cooking.

There are more differences between Halal and Kosher than that, TATTRAT.

While "how" an animal is slaughtered is "one" difference (all things being equal as far as technique - it's the way prayers are offered) - it's not the only difference. Some things that are Kosher are not Halal ... and some things that are Halal in one Muslim sect is Haraam in another (vinegar for one example).

Last edited:
You guys are brilliant!! Its a pretty complicated task for sure, especially cause the teacher didn't specify how strict a muslim the person is. Anyway you have all given her heaps to work with thankyou so much.

I would have her search for vegitarian recipes. Most of those are generally kosher and also halal.

Some Moslums consider shellfish to be unacceptable. Apparantly there is some debate among groups. To be safe, you should eliminate shellfish.

I agree that she should center her search on vegetarian recipes - vegans in particular, as they don't consume any dairy products. Any recipe that's certified "vegan" & doesn't have any nut products in it should work fine for all the parameters set.

As far as your daughter's school assignment help goes there has to be some research that you can do on the internet. Did the school give her any suggestions.

I hope she figures it all out and the children enjoy everything.

mrsmac, thanks for this thread, I'm learning a ton about dietary requirements that I never knew before.

Halal meat can be difficult to obtain in Australia. I am sure in the big smoke of Sydney it's not so much of a problem, but I bet the teacher would be impressed if said daughter researched the availablity and included a sentence on that! When I lived in Tasmania, the two halal butchers closed, so my muslim friends were reduced to fish and vegetables. Some of my muslim friends would eat non halal chicken some wouldn't.

Here you can buy halal meat at my local supermarket! And in my old suburb it was actually difficult to buy non Halal or non Kosher meat (I lived smack bang between a muslim area and a jewish one)

Beware hidden pork. Gelatine is a no no, Muslims use agar agar which is a seaweed derivative. I have some muslim friends who have an "ignorance is an excuse" policy and believe they are not held accountable for accidentally ingesting things that are not allowed, others go to great lengths to ensure that there is no chance they are having something forbidden.

Back
Top Bottom