Rachael Ray's cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I was grazing in Linens 'n' Things yesterday and noticed a display of Rachael Ray's new cookware line. It was an eye-catching display so I went over to see what her cookware was like.

The display was divided into two areas. One for stainless steel pots, pans and such and another showcasing annodized aluminum pieces.

I picked up several pieces of each type and was less than impressed. Both seemed almost flimsy and lacked any heft. Kind of felt like the old Mirro stuff the five-and-dimes sold years ago. And at nearly $200 for a 10-piece set for the annodized, I thought it a little expensive.

I have to explain here that I am of the camp who doesn't believe in buying sets of cookware because, often, when one buys a set, there'll be at least one piece that rarely if ever gets used. I'd much prefer to spend the same money on a very well-made piece of cookware and use it daily. But that's just me.

At any rate, Rachael has joined other celebrity chefs/cooks who have put their names on a line of cookware and I would imagine folks will buy it. I may not care for her cookware, but I do wish her well.

Anyone else out there seen her new cookware? If so, what's your evaluation?

I could have written your entire post myself!! Every word. :)

Except that I would have not said "a little" expensive for what you were getting. They seemed very light and flimsy.

One of my very best friends was so excited because she got a set of Calphalon and a set of good knives like I have (which, yes, the name Calphalon was on them but it was not the same) and each one of them was only $99.00 each at "some name chain cooking store" - her eyes were so bright, she was so excited and when she said "didn't I do good"???????????????.........I just had to say YES

Everyone is after a bargain or a name brand and this is often what they turn to. These same people have never held a good quality pot and let's face it - she got a whole set for LESS than what one pan of a high quality line would cost and they still "work" and "cook" and she turns out some fabulous meals! Mine, after 19 years still look new, hers, after a very short time, look like she's had them for 20 years.

Rachel will sell hers, Emeril will sell his, and Viking and All Clad will still sell theirs.

The only thing I've seen for a much lower price and a pretty good quality was the Member's Mark set from Sam's. Pretty heavy pots and pans for a lot less. I haven't "handled" Member Mark's hard anodized aluminum because I already have an really old set of Calphalon that they don't make anymore :-(

I haven't seen Rachael's line, but I have Emerilware nonstick, and there is nothing lightweight or cheap feeling about that. The 10 piece set (including 4 covers) was $350 when I bought it 4-1/2 years ago, and all 6 pieces of cookware are solid and cook marvelously. All still look like new, even the nonstick coating.

I look at All-clad and I get major sticker shock when I see a single stainless fry pan for $270 :wacko:. IMO, there is no way that that pan will work better (at least not for 99.9% of us) than the several quality pans I've seen for half the price.

So Rachael's cookware may not be up to standard, but that doesn't mean that anything with the endorsement of a celebrity chef will be as cheap.

I'm a cookware freak. I have it all. You get what you pay for in real Allclad, Traditional Calphalon, Le Creuset, Falk Culinair, Mauviel etc. Heavy construction, stove to oven, even heating, let it simmer capability, etc. Disc bottoms do not cook as evenly (America's Test Kitchen proved that even with French Sitram).

One can get a good "restaurant " pan ... heavy aluminum, silver stone lined, etc. not too expensive and meant to be abused and replaced. Every kitchen should have some.

Like many here, I'm not fond of sets as I want a variety of materials and shapes for a variety of dishes.

A celebrity name means he/she gets a cut. I does not mean a good pan. THe tried and true were already out there before FoodTV made 'em famous.

I beg to differ on your opinion of not buying sets of cookware. Just don't buy sets of cookware if they contain pieces you know you will never use.

My first set of really good cookware was a 7 piece set of tri-ply stainless from Le Gourmet Chef. Now, the set contained an 8-inch frying pan, a 1 1/2 quart pot with lid, a 3 quart pot with lid, and a 5 quart dutch oven with lid. Now, can you identify any of these items as something you would not use in every day cooking?

From there, I built on the set by adding a smaller dutch oven with lid, a teflon coated frying pan, and a 6 quart saute pan with lid, all the same Le Gourmet Chef tri-ply stainless.

i caught a clip of rr's new show, and she was using a gigantic non-stick frying pan. it looked like it was 16" or 18" in diameter.

i wonder if it was a piece in her new line of cookware?

i'm still looking around for a good deal on a huge pan, frying or saute, that is covered and can go in the oven to 500 or so.

the all clad ss 6 qt. saute that i like is big, but i'd like even bigger.

bucky, I don't know if RR's stuff can go into the oven because parts of the handles looked like they were made of some sort of plastic-like material. Maybe heat-resistant to a point, but didn't see any written material to that effect on the display.

Bucky if it had an orange handle then yes it was from her line

i'm still looking around for a good deal on a huge pan, frying or saute, that is covered and can go in the oven to 500 or so.
Bucky, go down to the Bowery and buy yourself a piece of commercial cookward from one of the restaurant supply stores. They will definitely have the large size that will take the heat. and the price will be "right!" :chef:

You don't have to show any id cards to buy at restaurant supply stores....

thanks chefjune. i've looked online for a restaurant supply store, but some were tax i.d. only, and others didn't list what i was looking for. i haven't been all that aggressive on my searches, however.

do you know of any particularly good stores down on the lower east side?

Broadway Panhandler (though I love the place) will be a lot pricier than the stores June is referring to near Chinatown. Those restaurant supply stores sell some really gynormouis pieces of cooking equipment.

Bucky -- have soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai first -- then hit the stores! :)

RPCookin said:
I look at All-clad and I get major sticker shock when I see a single stainless fry pan for $270 :wacko:. IMO, there is no way that that pan will work better (at least not for 99.9% of us) than the several quality pans I've seen for half the price.

So Rachael's cookware may not be up to standard, but that doesn't mean that anything with the endorsement of a celebrity chef will be as cheap.

Where did you see an All Clad fry pan for $270?:ohmy:

Even full price at Williams Sonoma the priciest one is $158. And you can get them for much cheaper on sale or at Cookware and More. I bought an 8 inch AC SS skillet from Amazon for $19, and a 10 inch at Williams Sonoma outlet for $50.

A fully clad pan will generally perform better than one with a disk bottom.

buckytom said:
i caught a clip of rr's new show, and she was using a gigantic non-stick frying pan. it looked like it was 16" or 18" in diameter.

the all clad ss 6 qt. saute that i like is big, but i'd like even bigger.

bucky - I've got one that is 17" (base) - about 24" across on top, and was bought at a restaurant supply store for about $22.00 - it can DEFINATELY go in the oven, is non-stick, and fits the bill perfectly for what you want I do believe!! I love it and am in need of another one since I've had this one for about 15 years!

EDITED to add I see you have gotten this same information from other people - sorry, I did not read first!

Last edited:
I do buy cookware one piece at a time. And choose those pieces with great care. Although I love my 3 LCs (2 cass with lids and 1 large pan with lid), I can only comfortably use the smaller cass. because of the weight. DH has to heft the other pieces for me. I mostly use the s/s pots I have had for 30 years. And no matter what one thinks of RR, or her cookware, everyone has to admit she has the prettiest smile in the world. She even eats pretty.

thanks for the info robo, jenny, and elfie.

i've looked into broadway panhandler, but have found you can even do better in a mall store if you wait for sales, and use the extra mailed coupons.

the bowery joints are exactly what i'm lookin' for. i'll have to drag dw into the city for a chinatown/little italy shopping trip.

and thanks for the tip on joe's shanghai, jenny. :)

elfie, if i get any great deals, i'll be sure to let you know. i could always ship a pan to you. :chef:

or you could get in your tiny car and come up here for thanksgiving, to meet up with 'bug! (sorry, haven't made a short people joke in a while. :cool: )

jennyema said:
Where did you see an All Clad fry pan for $270?:ohmy:

Even full price at Williams Sonoma the priciest one is $158. And you can get them for much cheaper on sale or at Cookware and More. I bought an 8 inch AC SS skillet from Amazon for $19, and a 10 inch at Williams Sonoma outlet for $50.

A fully clad pan will generally perform better than one with a disk bottom.

BB&B.... 12" skillet with cover. Admittedly I haven't shopped around, but even at $160 the "genuine" All-Clad is a bit beyond my price range and my needs. I'd rather spend the money taking classes at a cooking school and learn HOW to cook better than to buy what I consider to be overpriced and over- valued cookware which will do nothing to improve MY skills. Good quality middle of the road equipment seems to work just fine for me. My Emerilware is heavyweight anodized aluminum with non-stick interiors. It does not have a disk bottom and heats evenly from sear to simmer. When I need the extra heat or just want to work a bit differently, I have a 10" KA stainless saute pan that came as a "free" incentive when I bought my KA 11 qt food processor.

I'll keep looking for that large skillet and someday I'll stumble across one that is what I consider reasonably priced. :)

rp, make sure you don't put your non-stick emerilware in the dishwasher.

we've destroyed most of the pieces of 2 sets of emerilware that way.

buckytom said:
rp, make sure you don't put your non-stick emerilware in the dishwasher.

Actually, I would say that NO cookware should be put in the dishwasher. I've had some of my cookware for over 30 years and it looks and performs like new. NONE of it has ever seen the inside of a dishwasher. Regardless of how the piece has been used, it's really not that difficult to wash it by hand. Granted, a piece may take some soaking, but that's a small price to pay for helping it to live a long, long life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom