Who Likes Buttermilk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I have always despised milk, can't stand it. Don't like the way it looks, don't like the smell, don't even eat cereal. But I will drink buttermilk any day of the week.

It was a staple around the house. My Dad would fill a large glass full of bread pieces and then top it off with buttermilk. Me and my mom, well, we would get a large glass of buttermilk and top it off with s&p.

Anyone else enjoy buttermilk, and how so?

Buttermilk is the only type of milk I can drink!!! Love the stuff and always keep some in the fridge!! I drink it with s&p too.

Yucky LOL I only use buttermilk to cook with... I even use just the powdered buttermilk, when I am in a hurry top bake something, because I never have it around.. but, I haven't found the powdered stuff in Canada yet.

Considering how much buttermilk I culture, one could make the assumption that I liked the stuff. But I, also, only use it as an ingredient. I use almost a quart every week-end to make pancakes. It is also a key ingredient for me to set cheeses.

It was a staple around the house. My Dad would fill a large glass full of bread pieces and then top it off with buttermilk. Me and my mom, well, we would get a large glass of buttermilk and top it off with s&p.

Anyone else enjoy buttermilk, and how so?[/quote]

I don't care to drink buttermilk but I always have a quart of it in the refrigerator to use in pancakes, cornbread, salad dressings, etc.

Although, when I was a child my father used to drink a big glass of it every night before bed. He'd crunch up a handful of saltine crackers and stir them in and down it all went. I never understood why that tasted good, but he loved it.

as an irish man i was brought up on fresh milk and any thingelse is jus wrong wen it comes to drinking!the only thing id use buttermilk for is bread and washing.

I've tried to drink it but can't acquire a taste for it. But I use it in recipes all the time. Yep, my dad would crumble up cornbread and put in buttermilk with salt and pepper.

My mother used to drink it. Yuck!!!:sick:

But it DOES help make great-tasting pancakes, biscuits and cakes like German Chocolate Cake!!:chef:

~Corey123.

I love it, I may be a little weird but I find that drinking it with something sweet (like a piece of pie) or anything that has an amount of sugar in it makes it taste so good with the buttermilk! Maybe it's just me, but hey you guys should try it out sometime! :)

I never like milk..DH loved it. His family in N.C. always crumbled biscuits in milk or even cornbread. I do like buttermilk. I liked it better years ago when it really did have real butter in it.

I think that the reason that works so well in baking, especially cakes, is because it has levening qualities which help the baking powder and soda along - to give lighter taller cakes.

But if all you use it for is for baking, which I do, you CAN buy it in powder form. Use water as the liquid.

When I was a child I can't remember which classic children's books inspired this longing to try butter milk, Laura Ingalls Wilder maybe?, anyway, I wanted to try buttermilk so badly (my mother never used it so it was not something we had around) eventually my wish was given in to, I remember the anticipation as I watched it poured into the glass, I loved how it looked so much, and I greedily slurped a mouthful before realising I hated the stuff, lol! I have since used it ofcourse, for cooking and baking it is simply wonderful, but I have never tried drinking it again.

I love good cold buttermilk....used to drink a lot of it...However now it seems my tummy does not tolerate it well..Which is strange..I eat jalapenos like M&Ms..drink Tabasco with no ill effect...go figure..
Like others have mentioned..it is excellent for baking. My DW makes a butter milk cake that will cause you to slap yo mammy!! :LOL: Then again there is Uncle Bob's World Famous Buttermilk chicken...words cannot describe!;)

I love buttermilk, always have. Drink it, cook and bake with it. It's what i use for oatmeal! Also like all cheeses, fish, (even anchovies), organ foods, (yes liver and kidney) etc...I like the strong savories. I do not have a great liking for sweets or sticky things like fruit pies or syrup.

I love buttermilk - in fact, have a quart in fridge right now. However, it's SO unfortunate that what the stores carry don't compare to what you used to be able to buy directly from dairy farms.

I very fondly remember a childhood family vacation where we stopped for lunch at a roadside stand in front of a huge dairy farm, that was at least partially sponsored by, I believe, "R & W Rootbeer". Anyway, you placed your lunch order & the drink choices were root beer or fresh buttermilk. Regardless of which one you chose (I, of course, got the buttermilk), it came in a huge thick ice-frosted glass mug. You ate/drank in your car & of course (way back when most people were still honest) were expected to return the mugs to the stand.

The buttermilk was thick & rich, & actually had small lumps of butter floating in it. I've never ever seen or tasted anything like it since. While it was probably a heart attack in a glass, I always remember it - lol!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom