Dinner Monday, Oct. 9.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I didn't get to make the Scallops Tommy out of Chef June's book, I'm making it this evening.

June, I'm also making the pound cake on pg 161. Can I use sweetened coconut or would that make it cloyingly sweet?

We had lunch instead of supper (which will be fruit and cheese). We had piatto rustico -stewed vegetables served in a hollowed out bread from Anna Del Conte's book "Amaretto, Apple Cake and Artickes". Just right for a drizzly but not to cold day. :) Ages since I followed a recipe so precisely.....especially such a simple one, but nice.

Tonight will be one of my All-Time faves :)

it doesn`t really have a name exactly, but it`s a Chinese squash that I grow (it`s like vegetable spaghetti), but I pick them when they are just big enough for 2 people (football sized roughly) I cut these in half, top to bottom, scoop out the seeds to make 2 bowls.
I score the inside of the bowls and rub in a little salt, then add my filling.

the filling is Lamb mince, onion, chili (of course!), garlic, fenugreek leaves, a Green bell peper, Half Cooked rice (this is ensential that it be only Half cooked!) a dash of Soy sauce, and a little ginger powder, and a few mint flakes.
pack this filling into the bowl when it`s gone cold, make sure there`s No air gaps, put a few slices of cheese on the top, and then double wrap in tin-foil.

bake in the over for 2 hours on a low to medium heat.

be VERY VERY!!!! carefull when opening the foil, the steam blast will burn you faster than you can move! so allow a minute for this settle.
put these then into propper bowls, and put the bowl on a plate, leave the tin foil as it is (it saves on washing up, and keeps the heat in).

I work nights, so I eat dinner around 9am... sounds weird I know... :rolleyes:

Sauteed chicken breast w/chardonnay & leek sauce, baby red halves steamed in parchment with some butter/thyme/seasalt, and a few steamed green beans.

Small scoop of vanilla with macerated strawberries and balsamic for dessert.

Half Baked said:
Since I didn't get to make the Scallops Tommy out of Chef June's book, I'm making it this evening.
imo, THAT will make Monday a special day! That is my favorite dish in the whole world. I don't make it often enough. :chef: Guess I'm too busy "playing" with new things.... :ermm:

June, I'm also making the pound cake on pg 161. Can I use sweetened coconut or would that make it cloyingly sweet?
I much prefer the unsweetened coconut, Jan, but the first time I ever had the cake (when Carmen, my friend, made it, she used the Baker's stuff from the supermarket.

My aunt called and asked us to come down to the lake for dinner. She is making pork loin roast, sweet potatoes in the crock pot, fresh turnip greens, and mashed potatoes (for her dh who has had dental surgery) and wants me to make cornbread when we get there. A lady in her church has a garden and gave her the greens from it. Also, it was in the high 40's here last night - good time for a meal like this!

licia said:
My aunt called and asked us to come down to the lake for dinner. She is making pork loin roast, sweet potatoes in the crock pot, fresh turnip greens, and mashed potatoes (for her dh who has had dental surgery) and wants me to make cornbread when we get there. A lady in her church has a garden and gave her the greens from it. Also, it was in the high 40's here last night - good time for a meal like this!

Oh licia - this is almost my exact meal for when the weather first turns - pork butt salted/peppered/oiled wrapped in foil and cooked for 6 hours, acorn squash cooked with butter and brown sugar, collard greens, and cornbread! Man, what a good meal!!!

It's leftover Beef Burgundy for me, mashed potatoes - I was going to add a nice baby romaine salad but forgot I have to work until 8:00 - so, it will just be what I had last night!

SHAMALICIOUS said:
Lasagne with onion rings and fritters. Unhealthy, but yum, lol

just add that traditional Scottish dessert of deep fried Mars Bars ( or is it Twinkies?) and you're all set, Shama.

(running away and hiding from Ishbel........)

Swiss Steak
French bread
and apple crisp...

Paul invited friends over for dinner... good thing I bought some extra.

I found a part package of pre-cooked shrimp, a ziplock of imitation crab, and a bag of okra in the freezer, and I have a box of Zatarain's gumbo mix in the pantry and smoked sausage in the fridge, so it looks like Gumbo tonight. It won't be "mighty right" gumbo, but Zatarain's is pretty darned good for a quick fix.

Back
Top Bottom