How to spice this up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodfiend

Senior Cook
Hi,

I was looking on the threads for meatloaf recipes and found a link to one of Paula Deen's recipes posted so I clicked on it, and saw a recipe for the Beef Macaroni & Cheese (here's the link): http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32838,00.html

That looked good so I tried that instead of the meatloaf recipe I originally intended. It came out kind of bland, and I wasn't enthused over the pieces of tomato skin from the crushed tomatoes. So, here's my question, can I substitute tomato sauce for the crushed tomatoes? And also, as I said it came out bland tasting. What can I use/do to jazz it up a little? My brother suggested cayenne pepper (and we know (BOY! do we know) to use a little of that from past experience), but what if I added something esle, say corn for instance? Would that help? I followed the recipe to the letter, but it needs something else, other than that it's a keeper in my family.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

Last edited:
How about using canned diced tomatoes (already been peeled) with green chiles, such as Rotel's or a store brand? Corn would be good in this too. I've been known to make something very similar with all above and some cream of mushroom soup added.

Mine turned out bland too, I think I didn`t add enough salt for a start, sometimes it`s Really something that simple that can make or break a nice meal.

when you say "jazz it up" do you mean HOT/Spicey or just taste?

for hot. you may try Mustard powder in the mix, chili peppers (rather than powder).

for Flave there`s a million and 1 things, Funugreek leaves, corinader, cummin, smoked paprica, cellery seeds, alllspice etc...

as I said, mine was bland too, but it was my 1`st ever try, and so next time I have an idea of what to adjust and get it right for our taste-buds (or lack of) :)
just don`t give up, keep trying!

Would add a bit of hot sauce, just enough to be under the taste buds. But so that it adds a little zing.

Also a touch of Worcertershire sauce. Again a couple of splashes. It adds a taste but should not be recognizable.

We use the both of them in most dishes but keep the amounts down, particularly if we are making the food for others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom