Small plane crashes into NY highrise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
This is a developing story so there is not a lot of info yet, but a small plane has crashed into a NY high rise. They are not saying yet it is was terrorism or not. So far two people are dead and more are trapped inside.

They say they don't think it was terrorism and now they think it was a helicopter....just a horrible accident.

It sounds like a helicopter went into a stall and the pilot wasn't able to correct. That is a very vulnerable area right on the water. When I heard all the sirens and the helicopters, I live on the upper east, my stomach just dropped. I'm praying for the people stuck in the building and the fire fighters trying to get them all out.

I just heard. There has been no news release in UK yet. I hope it was not terrorism and that thee are no more fatalities.

the plane was registered to corey lidle, a pitcher for the yankees.

i see steinbrenner's plans (of how to change his pitching staff) are beginning to swing into action.

if i was a-rod, i'd look for a rattlesnake in my car, or let jeter start the engine.

j/k.

it is a pretty scary scene. bad fire. brings back bad memories.

everyone at work who lives in a high rise is pretty freaked out right now.

Last edited:
How terrifying to be in NYC when something like this happens. I can't begin to imagine what went through everyone's minds.

I heard about this today at around 4pm est. I didnt realize until just now when I read your post kitchenelf that the yankee's pitcher was killed, nor did I realize the plane was registered to him. I suppose more info will be on the news tonight. I certainly hope all are safe in the high rise condo, as well as those that happened to be passing by on the street when the plane hit.

Very sad!! Prayers to the families and friends involved.
I can only imagine the terror of anyone near enough to see it. It would have given me heart failure for sure.

I was returning home from a cooking demo in Queens as the news hit the radio. Strangely, if it was a clearer day, I would have seen it happen, based on where I was traveling from. The sky was quite overcast, instead.
The plane took off from the airport about a quarter mile from my home.

My first thought was 'not again'....but I realized that small pleasure craft usually means inexperienced pilots, as this case is turning out to be.

Yet another sad tragedy with much speculation to come before the answers, to be sure.

At this time, there are 2 confirmed dead, both from the plane. Mayor Mike will not confirm it is Corey Lidel or not...pending next of kin notification. Law enforcements officials have made a confirmation, but it's not official until next of kin is notified.

Last edited:
VeraBlue said:
Yet another sad tragedy with much speculation to come before the answers, to be sure.

oh, i get it, you're watching fox news.

i wonder what happened to the parachute? the plane was supposedly equipped with a rocket fired safety chute.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
oh, i get it, you're watching fox news.

i wonder what happened to the parachute? the plane was supposedly equipped with a rocket fired safety chute.

I never watch fox five bucky...I don't care for their politics. I'd been watching NBC since I got home at 3:15.

The model of that plane can or cannot be equipped with the parachute, depending on if it was installed at the time of purchase. It's like getting a car with the regular radio or upgrading to the BOSE system. At this time, it's still unclear if this plane even had the chute.

From what I heard, he was already too low for the chute to be effective. He left Teterboro, flew up the Hudson and circled the Statue of Liberty, then went up the east river. Shortly after he passed the 59th Street Bridge he dipped below the radar and by the time he'd gone less than than 20 blocks he hit the building. So..'speculation' is that, if he had the chute, he'd probably not had the time to deploy it.

I'd heard something interesting regarding the plane he purchased. It's been said to be a 'very fast' plane. A pilot compared the situation to a new driver who'd been taught in a station wagon to drive, suddenly getting behind the wheel of a porche. It's my understanding he only clocked 75 hours of air time. Again, speculation, but perhaps not enough for this aircraft?

i was only kidding about you watching fox.

you wouldn't do that, would you? :)

i heard something about how he said he had the chute in an interview with the yankees. it is rocket fired, like an ejection seat, so you can be pretty low to use it. in fact, you just can't be going too fast. i saw a show on their development, and they have a ring that keeps them closed until the aircraft slows enough (from drag) to allow the chute to open without getting torn apart.

he might have tried to use it too late.

and yes, 75 hours isn't much. it's barely enough for instrument rating, but i don't think he was qualified for that.
instrument rating is a freaky thing to do. you test by flying with a big hood on that blocks all of your vision out the windows, and only allows you to see the instrument panel. you take off, meet markers, and land using only your altimeter, artificial horizon, and other indicators.

he was flying vfr (visual flight rules), at just above minimum levels, supposedly.

How horribly sad and tragic. I heard the breaking news and my heart just sunk. Many thoughts and prayers going out to all involved.

buckytom said:
i was only kidding about you watching fox.

you wouldn't do that, would you? :)

i heard something about how he said he had the chute in an interview with the yankees. it is rocket fired, like an ejection seat, so you can be pretty low to use it. in fact, you just can't be going too fast. i saw a show on their development, and they have a ring that keeps them closed until the aircraft slows enough (from drag) to allow the chute to open without getting torn apart.

he might have tried to use it too late.

and yes, 75 hours isn't much. it's barely enough for instrument rating, but i don't think he was qualified for that.
instrument rating is a freaky thing to do. you test by flying with a big hood on that blocks all of your vision out the windows, and only allows you to see the instrument panel. you take off, meet markers, and land using only your altimeter, artificial horizon, and other indicators.

he was flying vfr (visual flight rules), at just above minimum levels, supposedly.

Instrument rating sounds like flying blind! I don't think I could ever do it. He did mention the chute in an interview, now that you mention it. I've seen so much footage already tonight that all the clips are becoming one.
I've already heard that there was one distress call to Laguardia, but there is no 'black box' on this plane. I guess time will eventually show what happened.
You know my 'philly' guy is pretty sad....

Back
Top Bottom