What is this called?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
Once you are done cooking, the hot cookware is then placed on this pad thing that prevents the heat from burning the counter top. What is this pad thing called?

or a kitchen towel if you're forgetful like me and have to grab the
first thing you see.

We also call them potholders ...or, as my mom calls them, "countertop savers." Also 'hot pad' works. :)
I think the correct name is trivet, though. I always picture a fancy shmancy potholder though when I think of a trivet. Like, a mosaic tile that is some serious hardware.
We have some basket-weave like ones at my place, which I would feel strange calling trivets.

My favorite hot pads were crocheted by my grandmother more than 50 years ago! When my folks died and I was cleaning out the house, I found some my mom had set aside so she'd always have clean potholders to put out for company, and never used. they are very heavy white cotton yarn edged in red. My Gram died in 1968, so it's really a blast from the past! I use them, because what am I saving them for? :)

I've got four really nice old brass trivets that I think came from Granny. One is in the shape of the outline of barn owl, one a butterfly, one the Scottish Lion Rampant and one the Scottish thistle. They probably date from the early years of 20th century.... and are still going strong:)

I've heard trivet used in reference to those items made of a hard material such as tile, wood, metal, etc. Soft items in this category I have heard called hot pads. Pot holder is made for a different use so is neither a trivet or a hot pad, though it can act as one (but so can a telephone book)

GB said:
I think Trivets are generally made out of hard material (wood, metal, glass, etc.) while potholders are made out of cloth and soft materials. Of course there are exceptions. The trivets I use double as potholders and are made of silicone.

Pictures of trivets
Pictures of potholders

I'm not sure why, exactly, but I have always thought that trivets had feet and hot pads were flat insulators.

bullseye said:
I'm not sure why, exactly, but I have always thought that trivets had feet and hot pads were flat insulators.

You're right on both counts. Many trivets do have little feet. Some do not. Hot pads are just that...pads. Sometimes people use a couple of heavy potholders for hot pads. There are also commercially made hot pads made of thick, heavy fabric of some sort. I've even made my own from several thicknesses of homespun-like material that I've stitched together around the perimeter/circumference.

Now with advances in technology, even a thin sheet (1/8 inch or so) of silicone can be a hot pad/trivet. Or, as someone already said, a phone book can do the trick just as effectively.

As far as I know it can be called a large pot holder to keep the heat away from the counter top.

I used to have a large thick piece of plastic to put hot things on and the plastic was fine.

What would be ideal for the counter and using it as a padding to move it around? Since I need something that will allow me to hold on the bottom as I move it around, the metal trivets are out. My pot have poor handle design. I need something that will allow me to place a palm on the bottom for support and I move about with it. So I take it that hot pads are my only choice left? Is there something would not slide? I used a thing phonebook as a hot pad before, but it slides.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can fine any of those silicone pot holders.

Back
Top Bottom