Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Smoking a couple large porterhouse steaks (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/smoking-a-couple-large-porterhouse-steaks-27850.html)

DanniA 10-12-2006 01:19 PM

Smoking a couple large porterhouse steaks

I'm going to be smoking two 22oz porter house steaks tomorow night and when smoking the wood I use is usually hickery or cherry. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a type of wood that resulted in a flavor that just stood above the rest?

GB 10-12-2006 01:26 PM

I have never smoked anything myself so what I am able to say is just what I have heard so please take it with a grain of salt.

I have heard that if you are just smoking something for a few hours then you will not be able to tell the difference between types of wood. To actually taste the differences you need to smoke the meat for at least 6 hours.

Someone with more experience will come along and give you better advice real soon though I am sure.

rickell 10-12-2006 01:27 PM

we have used apple, and pear, but our favorite is hickory.

if you want to try something different apple is very good too

TATTRAT 10-12-2006 05:20 PM

Hickory or Cherry. Personally, I couldn't wait that long for a great porter house, so they always just get grilled.

Gretchen 10-12-2006 05:28 PM

I don't think it will take long to smoke those steaks. I would use an assertive wood like hickory.
Why not just build your fire with the wood and grill it over that. Would be better than "smoked" in my opinion.

kitchenelf 10-12-2006 07:15 PM

I'm in the same school as Gretchen on this one.

EDITED to say - my fav is Hickory chunks- by far!!! Those wood chips just don't give off much flavor.

bullseye 10-12-2006 07:55 PM

I'm in agreement with most of the posters: grill these great sounding porterhouses; use wood chips for some smoky flavor, perhaps hickory or mesquite.

shpj4 10-13-2006 06:08 PM

I have never smoked anything before and unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you.

romanticf16 12-18-2006 07:06 PM

Barbecue(slow, low temp cooking) and Smoking are best suited to tougher cuts of meat. The idea is to maintain a internal meat temp of 200f for a long period of time to break down the collagen in the meat. Something like a well marbled Porterhouse is better suited to grilling at a high temp to the desired doneness. If cooked "low and slow" the meat will be too "soggy" in texture.

JDP 12-18-2006 07:15 PM

I'm with everyone else. Typically smoking means a low and slow cooking method with temps that rarely break 275 degrees. A good poterhouse should be cooked over a higher heat and quickly to lock in the flavor and keep it nice and juicey. Smoked meats normally contain a higher dergree of fat and connective tissue that doesn't breakdown till temps above 175 degrees. If you do that to your porterhouse you might as well leave it on for a few more hours and have jerky. Using woodchips during though cooking process would work and impart that smokey flavor you are looking for.

Merry Christmas,

JDP