Another 'bird in the bedroom' question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
I put out a little bowl of water and birdseed out and the poor thing was just gobbling it up.

When I went to check on it. She was sitting on my pillow. Doesn't that mean her wing isn't hurt? Or could she have jumped from the floor to the sidewood and hopped onto the bed?

Her left wing is still held at an awkward position. The Humane Society isn't open but I left a message for them to call me tomorrow. I couldn't find a bird sanctuary.

Jan, the bird may have just pulled a muscle or something and still be able to fly a bit. Keep at it, you will catch it yet. Try putting something tasty out for it (PB blob?) and sit close to it and just murmur quietly. It may then let you get close enough to catch it. Just make sure you have a place all ready for it! And a box with a towel over it is a good start if you can't find anything else to use. Dark settles birds down.

!

It does sit there and cheep cheep at me FROM MY PILLOW! I know it's trusting me more but not enough for me to be able to catch it.

The wing isn't as bad as I thought. I hope it can be helped.

Jan, if you can get close enough and are fast enough, keep a light towel (big enough too) that you can throw over the bird and then it will be easy to put into a box (make sure there are holes for light to get through! Birds won't eat in the dark) or cage until you can get it to a vet or shelter.

I've heard of farm raised, but indoor raised? FRESH! j/k.

I had a dove get hurt and manage its way to one of my plants on the front balcony. The local H.S. was of some help. I hope your little bird makes it ok!

I think it must be in the closet now although I felt around and she wasn't running about. It has a full tummy and a big drink of water so I believe she's resting.

Tomorrow I'll block the closet and take everything off the floor. Mr HB and I couldn't find it under any of the furniture. At least I know the dear isn't hungry and thirsty.

[QUOTEJan, if you can get close enough and are fast enough, keep a light towel (big enough too) that you can throw over the bird and then it will be easy to put into a box (make sure there are holes for light to get through! Birds won't eat in the dark) or cage until you can get it to a vet or shelter.][/QUOTE]

That's what we were going to do this evening. Boy I need to vacuum under everything...the dust kills my asthma. It's hard to move dressers et al.

You may want to call the zoo. I would guess you are closest to Zoo Atlanta.

Had a brother who ran a municipal zoo for many years, and they get called with all kinds of questions.

They probably will not take the bird, but may be able to help you out with some good advice as to where to take him.

Bottom line, I think, is you are probably going to have to catch him which can be a bit tricky for a wild bird (have caught tamed ones who got free quite easily).

Before you do would try to make sure the bird is truly injured. Sometimes birds that fly into small areas may seem that way because the room is too small to fly.

May be a tough call though.

Do your best and good luck.

Vet

My vet takes anything I bring off the street and takes care of it at no charge. Surprised me the first time but now I know he will help when he can. He thanks me for bringing it in. Pigeon I brought to him had broken leg. He told me could not be repaired. He said he would take care of it. Have to be so careful when you handle something as fragile as a bird. Bones easily break.

Thankful you have such a big heart. Your kindness will be returned. Priceless!

Mr HB keeps telling me that I'll probably get bird flu.
hysterical.gif

lol alix, pulled a muscle?

hb, is the little bird wearing sweats and a headband, carrying a tiny tennis racket, maybe?

i'm sorry alix, that one cracked me up.

hb, is the bird quietly resting on it's back, feet in the air, and a tiny bucket overtunred next to it?? :cool: just kidding.

if the bird is holding one wing at a strange angle, the odds are that the wing is broken in some way, or dislocated. it could just be some broken feathers causing it to be unable to fold back neatly, or a bone could be broken.

the towel thing will work, but you'll risk injuring the bird further.

btw, i hope you had a good thick pillow case on the pillow. after a big meal, birds generally don't hold anything in too long, if you get my drift. :)

Last edited:
Univited bird

This reminded me of the time a black bird came in - How ? never knew - we have a toy poodle (going on 12yrs. now) he was in the kitchen, usually he eats when someone is in there w/him. I was watching t.v. and kept hearing him eating, (metal bowl),so I go out there and------- there was a Black Bird eating out of his bowl. Scared me to death! Joey (the dog) never barked once !!!! :shock:

One of our cats once caught a robin and decided the best place to take it was our bedroom. I managed to get the cat out of the room and shut the door. The robin could fly but had a broken leg, so every time it landed, it just keeled over. After much phoning around, we found the nearby national park would take it in and nurse it back to health. So, we loosely filled a lightbulb box with shredded paper and tucked the bird in. The paper stopped the bird rattling around inside the box in transit. The people at the park were impressed! My partner had to sign away all his rights to the robin, as if he ever had any, and that was it. They assured him they'd be able to save the bird.

By way of a conclusion, our cat has never caught another bird since. Thank goodness.

hb, is the little bird wearing sweats and a headband, carrying a tiny tennis racket, maybe?
:LOL:

Off to the closet. No sign of the bird this morning and I kept the bedroom doors closed....uh oh. :(

Friday 13

Thanks for all the kindness and laughs you all provided me with on this fateful day. Everyone telling me to be careful on Friday. So thankful I stopped to read this wonderful thread. buckytom you always make a difference. The thought of the 'extra' pillow covering reminded me of so many things when precaution wasn't practiced! Wonder if she did have extra? I appreciate you. This is so uplifting to me personally, that I am going to copy for the rest of the gang here to read. Will do them good to know they are not alone in their consideration of the small things in life.

HalfBaked you have to let us know how this all turns out. Just hope it isn't gone too quickly that I can't read it. Although I do receive email to let me know the additional comments which certainly is nice. Everything happens for a reason: you have to vaccum when the bird gets retreived!

I wish you all happy 13th and we all should feel safe.

The bird has completely disappeared. It is not in the bedroom at all. I emptied the closet and not a single bird footprint.

The seed hasn't been touched so I know that it was fine and must have flown out of the window sometime late yesterday afternoon.

My dogs have no bird feathers as toothpicks.
confetti.gif

Dang it buckytom, you have GOT to stop making me laugh so hard. And hey, birds pull muscles too ya big meanie!

Jan, could the birdie have found its own way out by any chance?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom