Timing roasts in a stoneware baker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaohooh

Assistant Cook
I need help. I know that they say cooking time is reduced in a stoneware baker. My question is how short is the cooking time. I want to cook a bone-in rib end pork roast in mine. I would usually cook it for about 30 minutes a pound in a conventional roasting pan. That means for a 6 1/2 pound roast I would cook it for about 3 hours. In the stoneware roaster, do you think 2 to 2 1/2 hours would be enough?

Donna

Timing Roasts...

Sorry I cannot answer your question for absolute sure. I am going by my childhood memory...I beleive my Mother used to fiquire it was 30% less cooking time. Also I remeber her searing the outside of the roast to seal in the juices and give the roast some colour. The roaster acts almost like a steamer so I would make sure you season your roast well. Hope this is of some help. :D

I find a meat thermometer to be indispensible for this reason - no guessing.

Check out the Polder (or other brands) in-the-meat thermometer with a remote display. You insert the thermometer into the meat and plug it into a display that sits on the counter. Set the temperature alarm and it beeps when the meat is done.

I have one of those thermometers but I just moved this year and am having trouble finding all of my toys. I can't seem to remember where I put everything. Donna

I have got to get one of those remote thermometers Andy.
Been wanting one for the longest time, but been too cheap to buy one :roll: Guess I should just bite the bullet and get one.
It's got to be more convenient than opening and shutting the oven and using my instant read thermometer.
John.

I find my Polder thermometer indispensable. Spend the $20 and get one (doesn't have to be Polder even). It really is the best way to make sure your meat is cooked the way you want it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom