Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cook's Tools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Knives and home dishwashers (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/knives-and-home-dishwashers-27928.html)

Half Baked 10-14-2006 03:34 PM

Knives and home dishwashers

I have several Wusthofs and never put them in the dishwasher mainly because I've always read 'not to' on kitchen sites.

Is there a reason why? The handles are not wood and it seems they'd be alot cleaner having been sterilized in the dishwasher.

I've just been a'cooking and a'thinking all day long.

TATTRAT 10-14-2006 03:37 PM

It playe h-e-double hockey sticks with the edge on your knife. The abrasive qualities in the chemicals knock down the burr, from what I have been told. I am not sure what the big differences are in the home dish machine chemicals versus commercial, but I would still shy away from it.

Half Baked 10-14-2006 03:45 PM

Ahhh, I hadn't considered the cleaner.

Katie H 10-14-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
It playe h-e-double hockey sticks with the edge on your knife. The abrasive qualities in the chemicals knock down the burr, from what I have been told. I am not sure what the big differences are in the home dish machine chemicals versus commercial, but I would still shy away from it.

I agree with Tatt. The dishwasher detergents used in home dishwashers can be corrosive. It can etch china and glassware and I can't imagine it would be good for your fine knives. I won't even put any of my cookware in the dishwasher for that same reason.

If sterilization is a concern, there's always the old-fashioned way. Boil in water for a few minutes.

kitchenelf 10-14-2006 03:48 PM

Yep - it's all in the edge!!!! The handles also react unkindly to the high heat - wooden or not.

Half Baked 10-14-2006 03:51 PM

Thanks kids. I knew I'd find the answer here.

thymeless 10-14-2006 03:53 PM

The other risk is the water jets knocking the blade into other objects in the dishwasher. This too can harm the edge.

There is also some risk of cuts to people unloading the dishwasher.

GB 10-14-2006 03:54 PM

Not to mention how things can knock and bounce around in there while the washing cycle is doing its thing.

kitchenelf 10-14-2006 04:01 PM

You don't need to boil your knives - it will also affect the handles, whatever they may be. This is why stainless steel is in professional kitchens - you WIPE it down and it's clean (with the proper cleaner of course) - my first and final thought is DO NOT BOIL your knives or even pour boiling water over them. :chef:

Also, the ONLY place sterilazation can take place, be effective, and work properly, is in an operatiing room - other than that our ONLY option is "sanitized".

Soap and water are going to clean your knives - period. You do anything else and you risk harming them. Just the high heat from a dishwasher can temper knives - boiling water is higher than that.

Sorry, I love my knives and don't want to see anyone's get ruined.

Half Baked 10-14-2006 04:05 PM

This is why you're paid the big bucks! The check's in the mail. :lol:

I took off the part about boiling since I realized that was ridiculous. I'll go get some electrolyzed water. That's a great sanitizer.