Too spicy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zstforlife

Assistant Cook
I made a vegetable soup using Rotel extra hot tomatoes. It is now super spicy. Is there any ingredient I can add that will tone down the heat? Thanks.q

Not really.

The only thing would be to dilute it at service. Perhaps over a bunch of rice so the heat is dispersed some among the rice.

thymeless

LOL - and you thought "Extra Hot" ment what?

About all you can do is "dilute" ... make another batch of soup and leave out the Rotel - and add it to the original batch to dilute it (only half as hot). You could also make a batch of black beans (1 pound dry weight) and some rice to dilute it ... if you live in Miami you might invite some Cuban friends over, they would probably love it just the way it is.

:) Add some cream and make it a cream of vegetable soup it will help tone down the heat.You hafto watch that Rotel it can be hotter than the last can.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Add some cream and make it a cream of vegetable soup it will help tone down the heat.You hafto watch that Rotel it can be hotter than the last can.

That's what I would suggest, too. Dairy helps tone down spiciness, so cream or even sour cream, in the soup would be a good bet.

Lee

Do you have any friends like me who are from South Texas that would be eternally grateful if you handed this dish to them as a gift---my husband said that he then could add tabasco sauce to it?? And down the road they will gift you back. I promise!! Unfortunately, since you don't reside on the outer steppes of Kazakhstan I can't take it off your hands at the moment but you have my mouth watering just the same. Please let us know if you did find a solution to your problem.
Seriously, I know how frustrating it is to go to the trouble of preparing a meal and for it not to meet your expectations--a certain chicken and dumplings dish comes to mind---will not go into it but the mere thought of that experience makes me cringe to this day.

Back
Top Bottom