Powdered sugar quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robynhood

Assistant Cook
Hi again, I have a recipe calling for "1 box of powdered sugar"
how much sugar is in 1 box please; ie. how many ounces or grams
the recipe is for home made peanut butter cups and I will post it when I get the measurements; thank you

Most of the boxes in an american supermarket, like Dominos...are 1 pound of sugar.
Most of the plastic bags are 2 pounds.

robynhood said:
Hi again, I have a recipe calling for "1 box of powdered sugar"
how much sugar is in 1 box please; ie. how many ounces or grams
the recipe is for home made peanut butter cups and I will post it when I get the measurements; thank you
Googled this--they say 3 cups !

In the grocery stores here in the US - a "box" of powdered sugar is normally 1 pound (16-oz) - "bags" of powdered sugar are usually sold in 2 or 4 pounds. I don't know what the custom is where you live, or the origin of the recipe you have which may or may not be different (maybe 450-460 grams). Looking at the rest of the measurements in your recipe might give you a better clue as to if a box is measured in pounds or grams.

1 US cup of powdered sugar is 4-oz, thus 4 cups per 16-oz box. (Ref)

Michael in FtW said:
...1 US cup of powdered sugar is 4-oz, thus 4 cups per 16-oz box. (Ref)

Michael:

It depends on who you ask. I checked several references and found answers ranging from the non-specific "3-4 cups per pound" to a number of different specific answers ranging from 3.25 up to 4.0 cups per pound. the Domino Sugar website indicates 3.75 c/lb.

LOL - yep, Andy - I totally agree that it depends on how you "measure" when trying to convert weight to volume. How many times have we had the same discussions regarding measuring flour?

A recipe that says "1 box powdered sugar" is probably American in origin, and means 16-0z. If it (the origin of the recipe) had been English or Australian it would have called for "Icing" sugar, and could be either 450g (15.87 oz) or 500g (17.6 oz) - I don't know how it is packaged over there.

My husband does most of the shopping, and he always buys the 2 lb. bags. If I need 16 oz, I just kinda squeeze the bag in the middle and make my best guestimate.

I have an 8 cup measuring cup, and I did dump a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar in it one day, and it came to about 8 cups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom