Halloween treat ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
My daughter's 5th grade teachers are somewhat sick of microwaveable food. I'd like to make them a nice homemade treat (that's not too complicated) since I'm also working full time and lately, seldom cook. Does anyone have recipes for favorite Halloween treats? If so, would you please, please post them here? I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.

I have one for Jigglers creamy pumpkin or you could do dirt cups with those gummy worms. I have both recipes if you want? The pumpkin one is basically orange jello cut out in the shape of a pumpkin ( if you have a cookie cutter in that shape or a good hand to carve it, maybe your daughter could cut the shapes by hand?) I can post the recipe if you two like the idea. It's very simple and probably interesting to the kids with the decorations (candycorn and black licorice for the pumpkin face).

The dirt cups are basically pudding, oreos, cool whip, and various gummies.

Dina said:
My daughter's 5th grade teachers are somewhat sick of microwaveable food. I'd like to make them a nice homemade treat (that's not too complicated) since I'm also working full time and lately, seldom cook. Does anyone have recipes for favorite Halloween treats? If so, would you please, please post them here? I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Dina,
Cade and I made these and everyone loved them[http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ookies-16047.html?highlight=halloween+cookies[halloween-cookies]
hopeing this works Dina,:LOL:
kadesma

We live in a fairly rural, outback kind of area. Buck and I are going to be handing out chitlins, collard greens and road kill 'possum. We realize these "treats" are pretty much standard fare for our local ghosties and goblins, but they are what's readily available.

We've had a racoon who has been making us crazy on/in the roof of our house (really) that we'd love to add to the treat pool. Unfortunately, we saw "Over the Hedge" and can't bring ourselves to rendering R.J. treatwise.

Don't be mad at us. We really do love animals. This is all in fun.:ROFLMAO:

LOL Katie!

Here's a quick Halloween treat we made one year for my boy's classroom treats (his bday is halloween):

Make rice krispy treats adding some orange gel food coloring, only don't put them into the pan. Rather, butter up your hands and "mold" the treats into individual round balls. (About the size of a small apple) Flatten them a bit, so they resemble pumpkins, and add a black licorice "stem" on top. You can even use green frosting to pipe out a leaf or two to the stem.
I wrapped each one in clear cellophane and tied the top with raffia.

Kate E

Do u really eat possums? Or are u joking?
And what are chitlins?

Mel

dina - this is probably too much trouble, but...

every halloween, i remember the old couple down the hill and a couple of streets over who used to hand out doughnuts. homemade, rolled in cinnamon sugar & and still hot. those doughnuts never even once made it into our bags. absolutely the best halloween treat ever.
icon14.gif
icon12.gif

Philso

Those doughnuts sound delicious.
Reminds me, i must buy a fryer, to make things like that.

Mel

gosh, in the 30 years I have been living in Southern Ohio, we have yet to have our first trick or treater:ROFLMAO:, so I have never had to consider this question:rolleyes:. I actually consider this one advantage of living so far out in the boonies:LOL:.

Here's another cute idea. Take clear plastic gloves (the ones that food handlers wear) put a candy corn in each fingertip for fingernails, then fill the bag with popcorn & tie the top closed.

maybe bake some home made sugar cookies and use halloween cookie cutters...
or if you want something a little more use the cutters, on pizza shell
and make mini pizza's...use what ever toppings you like...

Dina said:

Dina, I don't understand. What are the teachers microwaving - their lunches? For my lunches at work, I microwave my homemade soup or the leftovers from the previous night's dinner, so I'm missing the problem with using a microwave, I guess.

Are you looking for something with a Halloween theme to make them for lunch or for dessert or for a snack?

Or any of the above?

Lee

Thank you all for the great ideas but it's not for the kids. Unfortunately, our district does not allow homemade foods much less sweets for the students. Crazy but that's just the way it is! It's the teachers I'd like to treat. Suggestions?

Lovely idea Dina. Nice for shared staff lunches or cut into hefty wedges would be quiches or pies that can be eaten at room temp or warmed up. You can send them in already sliced and wrapped prettliy. Could you get your daughter to use ink and stamps to make pretty wrapping paper to go out side the clingfilm to make it attractive and personal as well as tasty? I also think a wedge of homemade cake to have with tea or coffee would be lovely, or a small packet of cookies, or both!

Lee,
My co-workers do Ramen soup and microwavable frozen foods. I would just like to make them something homemade that fits the theme of the month. Perhaps some dessert would be easier. We do have a shared lunch every Friday and that's when the 5th grade teacher (my daughter's teachers) began asking when I would bring them a treat. I sort of feel compelled.

I'd appreciate any suggestions Lee. Thanks.

Dina, I don't know about you, but on Halloween I always make a big pot of chili for the kids to eat before they go out to freeze their bums off trick or treating. That is our traditional meal. You could do it the night before and bring it to work in a crockpot and leave it heating all morning.

The other one that might work is Norwegian Meatballs. (Search for that title under my user name it should pop up for you.)

I don't know if you are going to do a dessert or not, but I think I would confine myself to the main meal. Bring along a bag of buns and some grated cheese and all the teachers will be thanking you.

Dina said:
Lee,
My co-workers do Ramen soup and microwavable frozen foods. I would just like to make them something homemade that fits the theme of the month. Perhaps some dessert would be easier. We do have a shared lunch every Friday and that's when the 5th grade teacher (my daughter's teachers) began asking when I would bring them a treat. I sort of feel compelled.

I'd appreciate any suggestions Lee. Thanks.

Okay, I got it - thanks for the clarification, Dina.

Well, I love the crockpot idea - easy and keeps the stuff warm without using a microwave.

How about these ideas?

Oddly enough, the first recipe suggests using a microwave to make it, but I would brown the meat, then toss everything in the crock.

Pumpkin Chili Mexicana

1 pound ground beef or turkey
¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup diced, each: red and green bell peppers
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 (15-ounce) can each: pumpkin, tomato sauce and kidney beans, drained
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
½ cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon each: ground cumin and salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Crumble ground beef in a dishwasher-safe hard-plastic colander suspended over a 3- to 4-quart casserole. Sprinkle onion, red and green bell peppers and garlic over meat. Stirring midway through cooking, microwave on high 7 minutes. Discard grease and place meat mixture in same casserole.

Add tomatoes, pumpkin, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chilies, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; stir to blend. Cover with lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on high 8 minutes.

Stir, cover and microwave on medium (50 percent) 12 minutes.
Makes 10 servings, each: 216 calories. Serving Suggestion: Accompany with grated Cheddar cheese, diced green onion and sour cream.

This one is TNT - one of my all-time favorite fall/winter stews!

Sausage and Squash Stew

2 T olive oil
2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
some garlic, chopped
1 pound of Italian sausage links, pricked all over
2 cups chicken broth
4 portobello mushroom caps, cut into half inch pieces
1 package peeled butternut squash, cut into half inch pieces
1 bag fresh spinach
1 T fresh thyme (or 1 teas dried)
Parm cheese for sprinkling

In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onions, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 minutes. Add the sausages and cook to brown them. Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pan, then add the mushrooms. Cook 5 minuters.

Stir in the squash and the thyme. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pan, simmer the stew for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.

Remove about 5 pieces of squash and mash them, then return to the stew. Slice the sausages down the middle and cut into bite-sized chunks, then return them to the stew. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it's tender but still bright green.

Sprinkle with parm. cheese to serve.

Someone recently posted a recipe for Pumpkin and Roasted Vegetable Soup which I am dying to try. I would add some Barilla tortellini to that one, though.

Good luck, Dina - let us know what you treat the teachers with!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom