Mango Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C-Mart

Assistant Cook
My girlfriend's sister made chili the other night and since I didn't get to try any, I thought I would make some tonight. I went from my mind and just threw stuff in the pot... and here is how it came out:

• 2lbs. Beef - any way you like - I used some left over tri-tip roast and some fresh stew meat
  • 1-14.5oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 1-6oz can tomato paste
  • 1 mango - chopped
  • 1 medium red onion - chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves - minced
  • 1 handful of cilantro - minced
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1 oz. tequila - I used tangerine tequila to build on the fruitiness of the mango and lime.
  • 2 T. Chili Powder - I used Penzey's which has ancho chili, cumin, mexican oregano and a couple of other things
  • 1t. Chipotle Chili powder
  • 2t. Paprika
  • 1 Jalapeno - roasted, skinned, de-veined, de-seeded, and chopped
  • 1 Anaheim Chili - roasted, skinned, de-veined, de-seeded, and chopped
  • 1 1/2C. Beef Stock
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Start by seasoning the meat with the salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and chipotle powder. Since some of my meat (the tri-tip) was already cooked, I only seasoned the raw meat and then tossed it in a plastic bag with the cooked meat. Put some evoo in a heavy pot - I'm using my new 7qt. doufeu, and let it warm over medium heat. Sweat the onions and garlic until the onions start to turn translucent. Turn the heat to high and put in the raw meat to brown - about 5-10 minutes. Deglaze with lime juice and tequila then add the roasted chili and jalapeno, the stewed tomatoes, the tomato paste, mango, beef stock, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer. Mine's been on the stove now for about 3 hours, and it is tasting mighty good. It is a bit spicy, which I like - though it was too much for my girlfriend. I haven't sat down to a whole bowl of it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

WOW - it sounds really good and different. The flavors just really play well together don't they? Thanks for the recipe.

No problem. I think it turned out really well, and everyone that tried it seemed to like it.

wow....I would never have thought of that but it sounds gorgeous! I will definitely be trying this over winter. Thanks for the recipe

Back
Top Bottom