Whoohoo! Getting a Trader Joes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cora, I think you will be very pleased. Yes, we have several near us. Tell us 'bout the goodies you find. Whole Foods is another goodie shopping place.

Trader Joes is the greatest place to shop. They have great dishes and their own brand of wine is very cheap. I could go on and on but once you get inside you will love it and keep going back. The coffee is great and they give out samples of their foods.

You are going to love it Corazon. It is a really fun store. Their prices are great and they have some really unique things.

I am one of the few people that just doesn't get the attraction of Trader Joes, sorry. My mother practically lives there.

And I work only a few blocks from one, so it is very convenient for me. Go figure.

Jenny, buy a bottle of their Santini Olive oil, or their Calamata olive oil if you are in the mood to try something from TJ's. You may like it or you may hate it, but either way I would love to get your opinion.

I am within 5 miles of a TJs and visit once or twice a year. For my money, they have a lot of prepared foods, which I seldom buy. This TJs does not sell wine.

I have bought vanilla beans and dried fruits there. I'd rather be close to a Whole Foods. They have more of what I want.

However, my younger daughter shops at one quite a bit and loves it. The overall quality of their products seems to be quite good.

I can personally recommend Trader Joe's "Simmer Sauces", which come in several different ethnic flavors. They're absolutely wonderful & authentically spiced.

A package of boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces, & perhaps some cooked potatoes, cauliflower, spinach, or other veggies of choice, a brief simmer in the sauce, & you really have a very very nice meal.

corazon, I usually end up buying way more than I had planned on when I go to TJs. They have some great values on wine and vitamins -- I always like to wash down the latter with the former. :wacko: Oh, and they have a varied and well-priced selection of cheeses and excellent prices on different types of rice.

That said, TJs is not without its faults, of course. I'm not a fan of their packaged deli meats, and I've had some issues with their fresh meat and chicken, so I avoid those. Also -- and this is a personal preference -- I don't generally like to buy fresh produce there because they package it, and I've had some bad experiences with lack of freshness. So I opt for being able to pick up and see the individual vegetable or fruit.

Although they do have a habit of discontinuing items quite often, hope they still carry their English crumpets when your store opens next summer.

I don't get to go to Tj's often. When I do it's just for a few items. I really do like the store though. I was thrilled when the one by me opened up since the closest one was a 3 hour drive away. Now it's a mere 20 minutes.

I love love love Trader Joe's!!!
Not only do they have one or two different foods to taste regularly, they also ALWAYS have free coffee (with cream, not the powdered stuff) and if you want to try any food (that doesn't require cooking of course) they'll open the package for you to taste it, without asking you to buy it. The customer service is beyond excellent. The quality of food is much better than at my regular big markets. They also carry a lot of potted seasonal plants & bouquets for 1/2 of what you'd pay anywhere else. There are many organic choices and a good sized wine/beer area. (The first time I saw Chocolate Beer, it was there). shpj4's right on about the wine. You can get a bottle of Charles Shaw (aka "2-buck Chuck") for $1.99

A brand new Trader Joe's opened up in this recently constructed mega structure close to where I work in Hollywood and I'm a big fan of TJ's. This structure contains The W Hotel, several retailers, including TJ's, condominiums, apartments, a night club, etc...
A co-worker who's also a big fan of TJ's really lucked out. She applied for low income housing several months ago (among hundreds of other low-income applicants) and just got approved for an apartment unit directly above TJ's!
Get this....brand spankin' new 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment with fully equipped kitchen, including a washer and dryer for $775/mo. This apartment is just for her and her 15 year old son. My jaw dropped when she told me what her rent was going to be, as these 2-bedroom units run about $2,500/mo. Plus, the convenience of having a TJ's directly beneath where you live is even mega awesome. Take the elevator down and get what you need.
I congratulate my co-worker and I'm very happy for her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom