Apple Cake with Caramel Topping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This is for Alix!

3C all purpose flour
2t cinnamon
1t baking soda
1t salt
1 # golden delicious apples, peeled and diced to 1/3 inch
1 c packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
1c sugar
3 large eggs
3 t vanilla
3/4 c pecans coarsely chopped

Caramel topping
1/2 c unsalted butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 whole milk

Method
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 12-c bundt pan with nonstick spray. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Transfer 3T flour mixture to bundt pan and tilt to coat. Set pan aside. Place apples and 2T flour mixture in another bowl; toss to coat apples. Combine 1c brown sugar, white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and 3 t vanilla in a large bowl. Using electrtix mixer, beat until mixture is thick, about 4 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining flour mixture. Fold apple mixture and pecans into batter; transfer to prepared bundt pan. Bake till tested inserted in middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer can IN PAN to rack. Let stand while making caramel.

Caramel Method
Melt butter in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Whisk in 1C brown sugar, then milk. Continue to whisk until topping is smooth and blended and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 1t vanilla. Spoon 1/4 C hot caramel topping over warm cake in pan. Let stand until topping is absorbed into cake, about 15 minutes. Turn cake onto platter. Pour remaining warm topping over cake. Let stand until cool, at least 1 hour. Cover well, keep at room temperature.

Enjoy!!:)

COPY, PASTE, SAVE!! Thank you Vera, this does indeed look fabulous! You'll have to post how everyone liked it. I'll give this a go when the chocolate chip cake is gone. (So...tomorrow or Sunday!) Thanks again!

Me too!! I think I will make this tomorrow!! I will probably use Granny Smith or a tarter apple than the Delisious though; think that would still work?

Thanks VeraBlue for the nice recipe. I have lots of red delicious apples sitting in my fridge, so will try your recipe soon. I guess 4 apples should be sufficient. Since pecans are not available here, will replace with walnuts which are in season now.

Vera this looks YUMMY. I was going to make a pinapple tart tatin tonight....because it was on tv this morning, but now I might make this.....

I kind of want to move in to VB's house. Your food always sounds so good.

Alix said:
COPY, PASTE, SAVE!! Thank you Vera, this does indeed look fabulous! You'll have to post how everyone liked it. I'll give this a go when the chocolate chip cake is gone. (So...tomorrow or Sunday!) Thanks again!

Lou got in from Philly much later than usual...it was close to 9pm:(. By the time he got here, I was well into a chocolate covered cherry martini. I made him a couple of burgers which he loved. About an hour later, we both had a slice of cake and it was delicious! The apples make it extemely moist, but not overly sweet. The caramel topping hardens a bit, rather like on the outside of a caramel apple. We went to bed about 1:30, just about the time my son was getting his first piece. I told my daughter about it, who lives in a dorm in NYC....and she put in a request for a couple of slices to be delivered when her dad goes into the city today.:glare:
All in all, I am extremely pleased with the way this cake turned out. Now I only have 769 apples left to cook with:wacko:

Shunka said:
Me too!! I think I will make this tomorrow!! I will probably use Granny Smith or a tarter apple than the Delisious though; think that would still work?

I don't think the type of apples will make much difference other than being softer or firmer, depending on the type.

lulu said:
Vera this looks YUMMY. I was going to make a pinapple tart tatin tonight....because it was on tv this morning, but now I might make this.....

I kind of want to move in to VB's house. Your food always sounds so good.

Lulu, that is such a nice thing to say, thank you.:flowers:

well, its true, lol. I was outvoted on the cake tonight, but as it was a good welcome desert for your Lou I might make it on Friday.....DH is home for 4 whole days!!!! Cake should start the weekend off nicely! I think I'm gonna make your mango soup too.....

I did PM VB when I made this cake recently, but just for feedback for everybody else this cake is a real winner. I made it in a decorative tin rather than a bundt, and had to incease cooking time considerably, but the cake is resiliant and took it well. So much so I have been asked to provide a cake for a village event this evening and I am just about to make it again.

I meant to post how Yummy!!! this recipe is!!!! Had to hide a couple of slices from the hubby so that I would get more than one slice, lol!!

lulu said:
I did PM VB when I made this cake recently, but just for feedback for everybody else this cake is a real winner. I made it in a decorative tin rather than a bundt, and had to incease cooking time considerably, but the cake is resiliant and took it well. So much so I have been asked to provide a cake for a village event this evening and I am just about to make it again.

I want to go to a village event in Europe!:(

Are there different size bundt pans? :ermm: I think mine is only 10 cup. I will have to buy a 12 cup so I can make your recipe. It sounds soooo good.:rolleyes:

I thought they were all pretty standard. I know there are small ones, like for mini, individual bundts...but I thought regular, was just that...regular:huh:

Oh my gosh Verablue! This cake is fantastic! I made it last night and it is so delicious! Thank you so much for a great recipe! This is definately a keeper! What a wonderful cake!

This probably belongs in a separate discussion, but I’ll ask here anyway.
If moderators choose, they can move it latter.
Here are my questions:
What does soda do in this recipe? What is it for? How does it affect the taste of the cake? The questions are meant to be for this particular cake and for baking in general. Like, why do you put soda into your baking anyway?

MicheleMarie!!

I'm so glad you liked it. Now I want some more! (no cake for me, I'm going on vacation in 18 days!!)

Back
Top Bottom