Daimler Chrysler dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a 90 Dodge Dakota pickup that we loved dearly - but the driver's side window motor kept going out - rather pricey to replace, but sorta necessary. Of course that's all moot now - DH wound up in the middle of a 4 car pile-up and they totalled the truck.

We have an 88 BMW that has been waiting for our mechanic to get back from a family trip to Austria to get some repairs done (as soon as we get some $$ from the ins. co.) That BMW has close to 300K miles - needs a slave cylinder on the clutch and a good tune up. We've also got an 83 BMW that we're going to darn near give away - needs plug wires and some interior work, again 300K miles +/-.

Right now we're driving a rented 2006 PT Cruiser. Darling car, no problems with it at all - but it's freakin' uncomfortable seats. Because he's always hauling printers and tons of parts around a truck, van, or something like the PT is what we're going to look for - but da#n we love the BMW!!

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango and have never had any problems with it, it has almost 160,000 mile on it. It still runs like it is new. We have always had Chrysler vehicles and have had very little problems, and when we did our service was wonderful.

As to American vs. foreign, I will buy American. Anymore anything you buy is from overseas, but I read labels and try to find something made in the states, we keep losing jobs to overseas companies, and if it keeps happening this is going to be one sad country to live in.

bullseye said:
While that is true, John, knowing what might be the root of the problem could, at least, save them having to pay for the same repairs over and over.

Oh, very true. I only meant to comment on the common perception that I have encountered in my career that TSBs mean the manufacturer will/should cover the repair.

John

ronjohn55 said:
Oh, very true. I only meant to comment on the common perception that I have encountered in my career that TSBs mean the manufacturer will/should cover the repair.

John

Agreed. It has always frustrated me that the OEM can issue a TSB (therfore admitting a known issue/design flaw), and yet deny warranty compensation--even if it is a preexistent condition. I have found BMW to be one of the best in this regard (although they call them campaigns, blurring the line between recalls and TSBs), and Chrysler and Ford to be among the worst.

Bullseye,

We're definitely in agreement on that!

One of the worst I can remember happened in the late 90's with Ford. It involved the then newly redesigned F-150 (Back when it went from it's old boxe shape to the more modern shape it still somewhat sports today). When it first came out the exhaust was routed out just in front of the right rear wheel.

Worked great in engineering trials, extra clearance in the back, etc...

When it got into the real world, it was found that (especially in cold climates where you got exhaust condensate) that it would cause pitting on the aluminum rims. The Fix? Go back to a traditional rear exhaust.

If you were still under warranty it got fixed, if you weren't... well, at least the exhaust tubing wasn't too expensive (The new aluminum rim on the other hand...)

John

Back
Top Bottom