Firefox 2.0 Officially Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Firefox 2.0 has officially been released. i downloaded it last night and I am loving it. The best feature, IMO, is the built in spell checker. Now when typing messages in places like DC the spell checker automatically goes to work without me having to do anything. How convenient is that?

Give Firefox 2.0 a try, even if you still want to use Internet explorer. You have have them both loaded on your computer at the same time. They can both be used at the same time even.

Hey, another Firefox user! On it now. Love it. Low learning curve, very few quirks. Only occasionally do I use explorer. Use Thunderbird religiously, too. Gather you're not a Bill fan?!

Well I am not a Bill hater like a lot of people. I think without him we would not have a lot of what we have today. But IE is so far behind the times that it is painful. Not to mention how vulnerable it makes your computer.

Firefox just makes so much sense. It works so well and it is actually fun to use.

We just installed it yesterday. I guess I'm just so used to IE that I'm having a bit of a problem with the small differences. One thing in particular is bugging me, but maybe I'm doing something wrong (you'll be able to tell by my phrasing here that I'm not that well-versed in computer-speak): When I have one window open, I often Ctrl N to open another window so that I can access another page on the same site and have both accessible. But with Firefox, Ctrl N doesn't open the same window; it opens a window that shows my homepage. Is there any easy way to do what I'm used to? Opening another tab for this purpose would be no easier.

I'm also finding that on some sites, Firefox seems to be somewhat slower than the latest IE 7.

Yes you can do that Suzy. Here is one way. I am sure there are others. Do you see the "New Tab" and "New Window" buttons on the top of your browser? Do you also see the little icon in the address bar next to where it says http://www.whatever.com? Each page will show a different icon. On this page it was show a DC icon.

What you want to do is click on that icon and drag it to either the new tab or new window button and then release. That should do what you are looking for.

GB said:
Well I am not a Bill hater like a lot of people. I think without him we would not have a lot of what we have today. But IE is so far behind the times that it is painful. Not to mention how vulnerable it makes your computer.

Firefox just makes so much sense. It works so well and it is actually fun to use.
Hate's a strong word in any event. I agree he deserves a bit of ... karma! ... for what he's done for this world, but I do resent their attempts to monopolize. Anyhow. Didn't actually realize Firefox was supposed to make one less vulnerable. Why, because it's less targeted?

Ayrton said:
Anyhow. Didn't actually realize Firefox was supposed to make one less vulnerable. Why, because it's less targeted?
That is exactly right. IE still dominated the industry so people who make spyware and adware and viruses, etc. write them with IE in mind. Since I have switched to Firefox my instances of these problems have dropped to almost zero. Of course as Firefox becomes more and more popular this may change, but I don't see that happening for quite a while, if ever.

GB said:
Yes you can do that Suzy. Here is one way. I am sure there are others. Do you see the "New Tab" and "New Window" buttons on the top of your browser? Do you also see the little icon in the address bar next to where it says http://www.whatever.com? Each page will show a different icon. On this page it was show a DC icon.

What you want to do is click on that icon and drag it to either the new tab or new window button and then release. That should do what you are looking for.
Yahoo! -- er, I mean, Yay! That does work. I dragged it to new tab and voila.

Okay, so how about this minor nit: I'm used to having my history show up as a sidebar. With Firefox, when I click on history, I get a brief look at just the most recent. If I want the complete list as a sidebar, I have to Ctrl H. I tried to see whether I can customize it to make that permanent rather than always having to Ctrl H but didn't see that option. Any idea?

Are you finding that Firefox is slower on some sites than IE 7?

Thanks a bunch.

I don't use the sidebars so unfortunately I won't be able to help you with that one. What I have found is that anything you can do in IE you can do in FF for the most part. It is just a matter of figuring out how. You can try asking that question here. I have found the people on that site very quick and helpful (just like at DC :))

As for the slowness, I have only noticed that on one page that I go to. For the rest of the sites I go to (thousands of them) I do not notice a difference. That is not to say that there isn't one, but I just don't notice.

suzyQ3 said:
Are you finding that Firefox is slower on some sites than IE 7?
I haven't noticed a speed difference, but I can't get my Jajah to work as well yet, and even here on DC I have slight difficulties -- mostly with line breaks, italicizing, and the like. Still, I chalk these up to the fact that I haven't taken the time to fiddle with adjustments. Mostly it's good, and if it's less vulnerable as GB says, great!

Ayrton I am not sure if you already have this loaded or if it will help, but check out this extension for Jajah.

Still, I chalk these up to the fact that I haven't taken the time to fiddle with adjustments.

I do too. We are creatures of habit. I never realized how accustomed I had become to IE until switching.

I can't get my Jajah to work as well yet

I believe they have a pill for that now.:LOL:

I like firefox a lot. But.... since Paul works for BILL I have to use IE these days...sigh.

yep! I just wish he'd pay a few more of them and take us on a few more vacations. lol

BTW... the new VISTA will be released soon. Anyone going to check it out?
I've got it and really like it.

Thanks GB!!!! For keeping me up on things I HAVE to do!!! Just downloaded it, and I'm liking it, will take a little getting used to, it IS a bit different, but I like all the extensions you can use with this browser. Very customizable!

Yes it does take a bit of getting used to, but you will find that in no time you are using it as well, if not better, than what you were used to. Have fun with it Cindy :)

Thank you so much about the information on Firefoz 2.0. I will have to look for it the next time I go to Staples where they carry a lot of different programs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom