Grape Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharonT

Sous Chef
Frosty Grapes Luncheon Salad
2 pounds red seedless grapes
2 pounds green seedless grapes
1 cup sour cream
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 pound walnuts, chopped and toasted

Remove grapes from stem and place in a large shallow bowl. Mix together sour cream, cream cheese and vanilla. Add mixture to grapes and toss. Combine sugar and walnuts and spread over grapes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Looks pretty good ... although I think I'd put it in the dessert category!

It is sweet - but traditionally served here as a Thanksgiving side dish. :rolleyes:

See the Thanksgiving menu posts.

Doesn't sound very good to me.
But my mom might like it.
What are the dietary factors?

Cals and fat?

I've made my version of it for years - it has a name but I can't think of it. It's just the green grapes, sour cream, and brown sugar - it's wonderful and refreshing.

Hi Sharon,
I've had this one before and love it. Thanks for reminding me..We are thinking of a fruit salad for Thanksgiving and this just might do it.

kadesma:)

I make a savory rather than sweet salad that includes grapes - makes a terrific lunch or light supper dish. All quantities are to taste:

Plain or smoked cooked chicken, cut or shred into bite-size pieces
Smoked Gouda cheese, diced
Red &/or green seedless grapes, halved
Walnut or pecan pieces
Mayonnaise, salt, & freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine, chill, & serve.

Thanks for that idea - I've had chicken salad with grapes and nuts in, but never one with Gouda cheese. Love Gouda cheese...

goboenomo said:
Doesn't sound very good to me.
But my mom might like it.
What are the dietary factors?

Cals and fat?

Hmmm -- dietary factors -- schmietary factors... this was posted for a Thanksgiving menu suggestion... You can't really look that sort of thing up for Thanksgiving... :ROFLMAO: <just kidding>

However, I expect this dessert-like salad would have at least 400 calories per serving; don't know about the fat grams. :ermm:

And it is a great addition to the Thanksgiving buffet.

SharonT - the "smoked" Gouda cheese really makes a difference - especially if you're using plain rather than smoked chicken. The recipe came from a now long gone deli/catering place I used to frequent in NY. It was one of their most frequently requested items.

SharonT said:
Hmmm -- dietary factors -- schmietary factors... this was posted for a Thanksgiving menu suggestion... You can't really look that sort of thing up for Thanksgiving... :ROFLMAO: <just kidding>

However, I expect this dessert-like salad would have at least 400 calories per serving; don't know about the fat grams. :ermm:

And it is a great addition to the Thanksgiving buffet.

Alright
Thanks
My mom will like this one.

I usually make my own version of Ambrosia when we have a turkey dinner.
I drain a can of mandarin pieces, a can of pineapple tidbits, drain really well....add shredded sweetened coconut and sour cream. Mix well together. Really cooling and deelish along side the turkey and other trimmings.

BreezyCooking said:
SharonT - the "smoked" Gouda cheese really makes a difference
Got it - thanks!
ella/TO said:
I usually make my own version of Ambrosia when we have a turkey dinner.
I drain a can of mandarin pieces, a can of pineapple tidbits, drain really well....add shredded sweetened coconut and sour cream. Mix well together. Really cooling and deelish along side the turkey and other trimmings.
I haven't had Ambosia since I was a kid (time back WAAAY back). I like the idea of using mandarin oranges - it would be a great time saver - although I like sectioning oranges when I have the time for it.

Another good & simple fruit salad is sectioned oranges, apple and pear slices and grapes (some of the grapes cut in half lengthwise). Drizzle over the fruit a simple syrup flavored with cinnamon. Spread all on platter and garnish with unpeeled red pear slices and oranges.

Back
Top Bottom