Roasting Frozen Brussel Sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Tonight I'm going to roast a chicken & strew chunks of root vegetables (rutabaga, turnip, potatoes, & carrots) in the pan around the bird to cook along with it. For a touch of color & to add a green veggie to this mix, I'd like to add a bag of frozen "petite" brussel sprouts to this concoction, but am not sure of the best way to do this, especially since there is nothing worse than mushy cooked-to-death sprouts.

I figure the options are:

1) Cook the sprouts separately & toss them with the roasted root veggies just before serving.

2) Just blanch the frozen sprouts & add them to the roasting pan about halfway through the cooking time (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours).

3) Add the still frozen sprouts to the roasting pan at some point during the cooking time.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the frozen sprouts are gonna throw off quite a bit of water. However, the flavor of roasted sprouts is fabulous, so roasting them is the optimum... Can you thaw and drain them before the whole cooking process? I think that's what I'd do. then add them to the roasting pan about 20-30 minutes before the whole dish is done. You don't want to over cook them, and the baby ones won't take as long as your potatoes and carrots...

That's a good idea - thanks. I can take them out now. That will give them more than enough time to thaw since I won't be putting the bird in the oven till around 5:30 or so.

You don't want to roast them frozen, I don't think, as they'll give off too much water.

The best part about roasted brussel spouts is the nutty crunch they get, so I personally wouldn't opt for #1, either.

I'd probably just defrost them, dry thoroughly and add them at the appropriate time -- they'll probably need about 1/2 hour.

June -- GMTA!

Well, I wouldn't roast them frozen because of the water content - no one has said that yet have they? :chef: :glare:

Agree with completely thawed (even if you have to use the defrost cycle on your microwave), completely dried, and roasting.

I would microwave them with some butter and serve on the side. Idon't think roasting frozen brussel sprouts is going to work out well.

Well - here's to experimentation (so long as you're not cooking for guests - lol).

Since the brand of frozen vegetables I buy is high-quality (Hanover) & the sprouts are only the size of marbles, I decided to thaw & drain 1/3 of the bag & leave the rest frozen. I added the frozen sprouts to one side of the roasting pan 20 minutes before the end of roasting time, & added the thawed sprouts to the other side of the pan 10 minutes before the end. The thawed sprouts literally disintegrated; the frozen ones were absolutely PERFECT!!! Didn't exude any extra liquid to the pan juices, & were sweet, nutty, firm/tender.

Now like I said, these are high-quality individually frozen bagged baby sprouts. Perhaps larger boxed sprouts wouldn't work as well. I rarely if ever buy boxed frozen vegetables because I find the water/frost content too high.

But if you have bagged frozen sprouts & want to roast them with a chicken & other veggies - tossing them into the pan frozen works just fine!!!

Well blow me down!!!!! Glad you had the foresight to try both ways. Thanks! Now, I've put frozen veggies in with a chicken to roast - just never thought of actually roasting ONLY the Brussels sprouts. Thanks for the reply with your results.

It wasn't just the brussel sprouts alone Kitchenelf. I started the roast chicken with chunks of raw rutabaga, turnips, potatoes, carrots, onion, & garlic. Just waited to add the frozen brussel sprouts towards the very end of the cooking time.

The only other additions were extra-virgin olive oil, salt, & pepper - & of course the drippings from the chicken. But no other liquid was added. I really was surprised at how well they turned out, especially since there really wasn't any liquid in the roasting pan - just a bit of oil & pan drippings.

BreezyCooking said:
It wasn't just the brussel sprouts alone Kitchenelf. I started the roast chicken with chunks of raw rutabaga, turnips, potatoes, carrots, onion, & garlic. Just waited to add the frozen brussel sprouts towards the very end of the cooking time.

The only other additions were extra-virgin olive oil, salt, & pepper - & of course the drippings from the chicken. But no other liquid was added. I really was surprised at how well they turned out, especially since there really wasn't any liquid in the roasting pan - just a bit of oil & pan drippings.

OH!!!! Somewhere in here my brain kicked into the thought "roasting in a single layer with other veggies - I dropped the word chicken hence putting the word roasting with the veggies only!

Seriously - am I the only one that thought she was actually roasting the vegetables???? I wouldn't have worried at all about the liquid from the frozen veggies diluting the chicken drippings or hurting the other veggies had I been thinking right!

OK, I bet they were good with all the drippings from the chicken. A bunch of root veggies cooking with a chicken is perfect for days like we have had recently!

Back
Top Bottom