Plochman's or French's? Which one should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollingstone

Assistant Cook
Hey folks,

NooB here from nordic Europe. Just joined. Whenever I come to North America, which is like every 3 years or so, I never have enough space in my luggage to bring back loads of mild yellow mustard squeeze-barrels, lol. Last time I was in Toronto, I brought back 8 squeezers of a local supermarket's stuff, but didn't have enough space for more. :pig: You're wondering now why this crazy monkey can't just go to my local grocery store and get mild yellow mustard from here. Well, we have other yellow mustards, but not the type which makes a hot dog and sandwich so special as the typical North American mild yellow mustard does.

Anyways, I'm really missing the stuff. I like French's classic yellow. Now, while surfing, I've heard about Plochman's. (Never tasted it, though :chef:)

I was gonna buy a big box of Plochman's, like two dozen, and get my Austin, TX pal to airmail the "hamper" to me, but I wanted to ask you good folks here which of the brands you recommmend and why, before I make the purchase decision.

Cheers,
RS :w00t:

Last edited:
Welcome, rollingstoe. If you have a friend who can send you stuff from the USA, can't you have him send you French's? Is it because of a price difference?

Hi Andy,

You're spot on, the price diff is the issue. I found this place online which sells the Plochman's at around 30% cheaper, per squeeze-barrel, than the French's.

/RS

I've never had Plochman's but I'm sure someone will be along before too long to offer an answer.

Taste is such an individual thing. Even if everyone here said that Plochman's was great, you could taste it and hate it.

Would it be possible to have your friend send you just one sample to try befor you commit to a whole case? I know that would probably cost a decent amount of $, but maybe it would save you money in the long run.

Yes, I'll try that idea, and get a sample. Thanks for the suggestion, GB! But, before I sign off, given that the sample's gonna take like a month to get here (lol), and given my curiosity, I have to ask whether there's anybody here who can definitively say whether there is a discernable difference in taste between the French's and Plochman's. See, I heard that French's put a lot of turmeric in their mild yellow product, but what about the Plochman's? Mind you, I've got nothing against turmeric, and actually use it frequently in Punjabi cooking :)

Cheers,
RS :chef:

ANd here we are running over to Ikea to buy Scandanavian mustard! I have some in my fridge.

Never had Plochman's but is it that much cheaper?

I actually have never even heard of Plochman's. I hope someone comes along to give you some good first hand experience.

I've had Plochmann's... but I don't like yellow mustard, so I'm not a good judge of whether it's as good as French's, because I prefer Dijon and sometimes Dusseldorf mustard....:rolleyes:

sorry I'm not much help!

jennyema said:
ANd here we are running over to Ikea to buy Scandanavian mustard! I have some in my fridge.

Never had Plochman's but is it that much cheaper?
Hey there,

Yes, indeed, it seems that French's is cashing in on its name-recognition. I would, normally, just go ahead and buy French's, but given the price diff saving with Plochman's, partic. if I were to buy like a load of 50 or so, as well as the fact that I wanna experience other brand's flavours, I'm interested in finding out about Plochman's.

This mild yellow mustard-thing is becoming a food-obsession of mine, lol.

RS :)

PS. Hope you like your nordic mustard!

It is very similar to French's IMO; close enough that most people can't tell the difference around here. I've used both (actually have a big squeezer of Plochmann's in the fridge now).

Thanks, Shunka, for letting me know about the similarity!

/RS

PS. Can you squeeze a bit of that mustard this way, plz...lol...I'm craving for North American mild yellow mustard. :cat:

Last edited:
I think it's awesome that you've found an American flavor you love! (And even better that you have a friend to send it!)

Rollingstone, besides being a mustard fan, what types of food do you like to cook?
PS - great avatar, btw.

Wish I could throw that far!!!:LOL: Love the avatar!! My oldest daughter's second favorite drummer!! Rick Allen is her all time fav!!

I haven't read all the responses but Plochman's makes better mustard than French's!! I will say however that my favorite Plochman's is a very grainy one. Hard to believe it is so much cheaper than French's.

Thanks for the avatar appreciation, folks. Animal's avatar is an homage to my drummer pal....we jam Rolling Stones songs together...the best we can...I play rhythm and the occasional lead guitar :) And he kinda shows his teeth, too, when he's playing the drums, particularly when he goes off at a tangent and choses to jam to Black Sabbath stuff, hehehe.

Food-wise, I love to cook Punjabi food, which comes from my dad's side. Like to experiment, too. I make pretty decent pizza bases and like baking pies in general and making pound cakes. Right now, I'm learning how to make satay sauce.

OT* -- meeting my Texan pal was by luck. He was also inter-railing, as I was, around Europe, a decade back, and we hooked-up in Budapest, Hungary. Now he airmails me hampers of North American stuff I like (e.g. Hershey bars, Barbasol, you name it....and soon mild yellow mustard palettes :-D). He's invaluable, in that regard!

/RS

Last edited:
What!! He doesn't go off playing Def Leppard? :ohmy: GASP!! Just kidding!!:ROFLMAO: Do you like H.I.M.? My daughter got to meet them at their concert in AZ last summer. BTW, I think you will really like the Plochmann's mustard!!! Thinking back on it, I seem to remember my family using that more than French's when I was growing up.

Thanks for all the views, folks...I'm gonna go ahead and convince my Austinite pal to order online the batch of Plochman's mild yellow, and then airmail all those goodies off to me.

Signing off for now -- it's past midnight here and I'm gonna hit the hay. Take care...hope to return to the Board later in the week.

Ciao,
RS :chef:

Shunka said:
Gretchen, I love the grainy one too!! That is one I can find only rarely here.

I know. It seems to have dropped out of our stores also, and the jar I can find now is half the size of the one I used to get.

Back
Top Bottom