Chocolate cake that can be mailed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

si2208

Assistant Cook
Back in the 70's I dated a Navy boy and I found a recipe for chcocolate cake with chocolate frosting that I was able to make and mail to him on his ship and he said it was delicious and it kept well does anyone have a recipe for this cake? I think it was in one of the Chicago Newpapers back then.

I've asked this question before. How do the stores that mail cakes manage with the frosting? I see it all the time on foodtv.

When I was living away from home, my mother used to send me cakes...she just left them in the pan to ship them. That would be easy now that we have the disposable aluminum foil pans.

Anybody looking to see how well their cakes last in the post is welcome to have mmy address for test purposes, LOL! ;)

It stayed moist and held up I guess without spoiling for a week or so

Well the frosting would have to be able to stay good at room temperature. The most obvious answer would be a ganache, which is what you'd use to fill truffles and other candies. Classic ganache is good at room temperature for at least a week.

The other option might be some kind of rolled frosting, like almond paste or marzipan. In fact, that might make a sturdy packaging for your cake. How about a ganache filling with an almond paste frosting? That would work I think.

Back
Top Bottom